IGNORED

Making an Apple II series communicate with the modern world.

simbalion

Now that I am getting some Apple //e computers together, are there effective ways to transfer files between them and regular, modern PCs? Methods that are easy to use and obtain? Also the same goes for game files aka, images like the ones I have loaded for Applewin. There are definitely times where I would like to use one of these units, especially my //c for typing up documents and such as I like thier keyboards better than the one on my Acer netbook here. Also, would love to load some of the games I have on the Applewin emulator on here to the actual system so I can use the correct joysticks and keyboard layouts.

If you leave out the IIc, a CFFA board is a great investment. The new ones can mount non-copyprotected disk images as if they are real disks.

You can use CiderPress to directly transfer files to disk images and to write hard drive images to CF cards.

ADTPro will let you transfer disk images over a serial cable to any II and write them to a real disk.

Yeah, can't say enough for ADTPro.

(Haven't used a CFFA, but I know they are nice..)

If you have a SSC (Super Serial Card), it's easy to transfer files over....

And you can even bootstrap the first disk over via serial, so you don't need an initial boot disk.

Of course, the most incredible (and slow) feature of ADTPro is the audio bootstrapping.

If you don't have an SSC, you can actually use the audio in/out of the Apple 2 and a PC to send over disks (including the initial boot disk).

desiv

I'll have to check into that card when I finally get some money back together that isn't for bills. Looks like they are sold out right now though. A few of my units have super serial cards in them, so that would be a way to go as well. I think I have a serial cable around here somewhere, but my laptop doesn't have a serial connector on it.

The CFFA is a kick-butt accessory that deserves to be in every modern Apple II user's inventory. It'll suit the needs you outlined in your first message as well as many others.

There are tons of other ways to transfer files between an Apple II and another computer, though: local network, FTP, floppy disk, etc. There's an attempt at cataloging all the methods in this PDF.

</blatant plug>

-Ken

The CFFA is a kick-butt accessory that deserves to be in every modern Apple II user's inventory. It'll suit the needs you outlined in your first message as well as many others.

There are tons of other ways to transfer files between an Apple II and another computer, though: local network, FTP, floppy disk, etc. There's an attempt at cataloging all the methods in this PDF.

</blatant plug>

-Ken

Thanks! I will have to wait until I have actual money again and the CFFA cards are back in production. If the price is right, I'd probably get one for each of my more advanced //e units. Of course swapping cards in a II series is so simple a... ok that saying is trademarked! :grin:

I have an old (last version with no floppy emulation) CFFA in my Apple II+ and a CFFA3000 in my IIgs.

I figured if it won't run on the IIgs it's probably gotta run off a plain old 6502 + floppy.

If I finish hacking my Franklin I might put the old CFFA in it and put my pretty II+ on a shelf for display only.

(with the II+ hermetically sealed in a nitrogen filled glass case with a sign that says break glass only case of emergency of coarse)

BTW, there is some software to mount disk images in RAM on a IIgs but I can't remember the name. That would also work for many things.

I don't know with there is an equivalent for the IIe but with a big enough RAM card it would certainly be possible.

BTW, there is some software to mount disk images in RAM on a IIgs but I can't remember the name. That would also work for many things.

I don't know with there is an equivalent for the IIe but with a big enough RAM card it would certainly be possible.

The software you're looking for is called Mounit, from Brutal Deluxe. You can download it here: http://www.brutaldel...gs/mountit.html

Edited by magnusfalkirk

I paid about $150 for mine. Got the CFFA and the little remote add on board to toggle disk images on the //e. A GS doesn't need it, because it can offer a GUI for the user. Get on the list. When he makes 'em again, they go fast. Top quality product. It completely changed my Apple ][ experience. Highly recommended.

Until then, get some good floppy disks and enjoy the machine with ADT. Also highly recommended. No brainer to get going and it works very well and does so consistently. All you really need to make this work optimally is a serial cable from the Apple to a USB serial device which connects to the PC, assuming your PC has no serial port on board. You can eek by with just an audio cable too, but that's fiddly and it takes a long transfer time. On the Apple, you should have a Super Serial card in there to provide the Serial port needed on that end. A typical disk transfer from PC to real floppy took maybe 2 minutes tops. Easy cheezy.

I used ADT to move data back and forth, and on the PC, the program Cider Press will get data out of and into disk images for you. Text, pictures and such can be moved to and from the PC that way. Those two make the machine totally useful, but not quite optimal. With the CFFA, I can use a USB drive and just move it between the PC and Apple, using Cider Press to get data into and out of disk images. Rocks hard. A few USB drives hold all the environments I want or need, and really you only need one due to how large they generally are these days.

I believe every newbie should try ADT and CFFA both. Format some disks, learn Copy II+ 5.5, 8.4, 9.1, DOS 3.3 and ProDos 1.1.1 and 8 v2.0.3. Learn how to transfer disks to and from an emulator like AppleWin or OpenEmulator, to/from a real machine, and understand CiderPress. Use CP to modify disks, format them, and transfer files to and from the PC-side to a disk image. Swap programs from one disk image to another using CP. Do it again on a real machine also. Learn all the filetypes and how to run them on a real machine. Get an overview of the system memory map, nothing in too much detail, just so you know where programs, hi-res screens, dos, languages, and stuff like that are located. Learn how peripheral cards relate to the rest of the system and how they use the slots.

All these base skills can be learned in a month and will make retrocomputing on the II+ and //e immensely enjoyable.

Edited by Keatah
  • Like 1

Well, until I get some extra money saved back and learn some stuff, I'll have to wait. Until then, where is a good source for the old 5.25" floppy disks and possibly some programs on disk besides eBay? I used to find some blank disks around here, but now they just get tossed in th trash when people and businesses find them.

Well, until I get some extra money saved back and learn some stuff, I'll have to wait. Until then, where is a good source for the old 5.25" floppy disks and possibly some programs on disk besides eBay? I used to find some blank disks around here, but now they just get tossed in th trash when people and businesses find them.

I bought a big box of new 5 1/4 disks on ebay a few years ago and most of them are still sealed up. Maybe I can trade some for the keycap. :)