IGNORED

Faster server coming soon!

Albert

Over the weekend I pulled the trigger and ordered a new server for AtariAge. Order in this case means I am leasing a dedicated server from a hosting company (of which there are quite a few!) The current server is a bit long in the tooth, doesn't have a great amount of disk space, uses a six year old processor design, and only has 4GB of RAM. The new server has considerably more disk space (and four drives, so I'll be running a RAID 10 setup, for speed and redundancy), much faster processors, and 24GB of RAM. We'll also have more bandwidth capacity.

The increased disk space and bandwidth will allow me to allow larger attachments, which are currently limited to 2MB in size. I'll also be able to finally use the "Downloads" module I purchased a while back for the forum, without fear of running into a disk space wall. The biggest improvement, though, is the amount of RAM. This will allow the database and forum to use RAM to cache considerably more data than they can now. The new server is also managed, which means I have to spend less time doing day-to-day tasks maintaining the server.

With any luck I'll have the new server online this week for testing, and can flip the switch and transfer the site over next week.

..Al

• Like 8

Hey Al what database are you using? Just curious, feels like you are running MySQL if I had to guess :)

Probably 99% of the forums out there are using MySQL, including AtariAge. You really shouldn't be able to discern that, though, when things are running smoothly. Ideally I'd have the database server running separately from the web server, but that's a somewhat expensive proposition. I am going to setup replication to another server, though, and then do daily backups from the slave instead of the master, which will fix the site going offline at 4am every night.

..Al

Probably 99% of the forums out there are using MySQL, including AtariAge. You really shouldn't be able to discern that, though, when things are running smoothly. Ideally I'd have the database server running separately from the web server, but that's a somewhat expensive proposition. I am going to setup replication to another server, though, and then do daily backups from the slave instead of the master, which will fix the site going offline at 4am every night.

..Al

Al,

the backup window gave it away but I think MySQL is OK - you were getting pretty good performance from the database side before the AJAX upgrade to the software; that upgrade was pretty buggy at first, the AJAX created client side bubbles that could crash a workstation if the page was left up over night and probably bogged the server with too many unnecessary database hits.

I would think AtariAge is awesome even if you ran it on an 80's BBS ... wait a minute, what am I saying? I think AtariAge would be even more awesome if you ran it on an 80's BBS :)

the backup window gave it away but I think MySQL is OK - you were getting pretty good performance from the database side before the AJAX upgrade to the software; that upgrade was pretty buggy at first, the AJAX created client side bubbles that could crash a workstation if the page was left up over night and probably bogged the server with too many unnecessary database hits.

The backups have gotten progressively worse over time. The database is nearly 6GB in size at the moment. And you can't really backup a database full of (mostly) MyISAM tables without locking them. Needless to say, this is a good opportunity to change the way database backups are done!

As for the AJAX, I don't think it's too bad--certainly some of the AJAX calls are balanced out by not having to do full page reloads. For instance, Quick Replies that add your post to the page without reloading. Which is a pretty common task. And pretty much all AJAX calls require some interaction from the user. Even the "Spy" page has a limited window where it will run before it stops updating the page.

I would think AtariAge is awesome even if you ran it on an 80's BBS ... wait a minute, what am I saying? I think AtariAge would be even more awesome if you ran it on an 80's BBS :)

That would make a great April Fool's joke. :)

..Al