IGNORED

2D Nintendo 64 Games?

BillyHW

What are the best 2D Nintendo 64 games? Were there any 2D Nintendo 64 games? The only ones I remember playing were 3D.

Also, what were the Nintendo 64's 2D capabilities like? Compared to PlayStation? Compared to Saturn? Is there any good reason why we didn't see more 2D games on the platform?

I found this in a Digital Press thread. Thanks to user The 32xmemorial!

Here are the 2-D games. Some have 3-D visuals but are played along the lines of conventional 2-D games.

*Asteroids Hyper 64 (crap remake of the classic... too busy!)

*Batman Beyond (utter shit side-scrolling fighter)

*Bust A Move 2 and Bust A Move '99 (great w/ N64 controller)

*Clayfighter 63 1/3 and Clayfighter Sculpter' Cut (crap fighters)

*Dr. Mario 64 (not much different from SNES game, still fun)

*Goemon's Great Adventure (don't confuse w/ 3-D Mystical Ninja)

*KI: Gold

*Madden 2002 (contains "classic" mode of Genesis games)

*Midway's Greatest Hits (Robotron, Defender, Joust, Sinistar, Spy Hunter, and the ultimate... Tapper!)

*Mischief Makers (bizarre platformer from Treasure)

*Mortal Kombat Trilogy (crap)

*Mortal Kombat Mythologoes: Sub Zero (utter crap)

*Ms. Pac-Man Maze Madness (addicting game, plus the original)

*Namco Museum 64 (Pac-Man, Ms. Pac-Man, Pole Position, Galaga, Galaxian, Dig Dug)

*The New Tetris

*Paper Mario

*Pokemon Puzzle League (better than expected)

*Rampage: World Tour and Rampage 2: The Great Escape

*Rat Attack

*South prk: Chef's Luv Shack (bad bad bad)

*Space Invaders (boring)

*Star Soldier: Vanishing Earth (vertical shooter, 2-D gameplay)

*Transformers: Beast Wars (my word this game sucks)

*Wetrix

*Worms Armageddon (AWESOME with 2 or more players!)

*Yoshi's Story

The N64 should have been superior to both for 2nd because it was cartridge based. The Saturn would be next with the 4mb cart, PS1 sucked at 2d because of loading. 2d is actually more taxing because it has to load each frame for each level/fight, etc. When you have a cart that already has all the data in much faster to access RAM or the data can be loaded into a RAM cart like the Saturn, it can load everything at one time. This is why Xmen vs Street Fighter and other 2d fighters are way superior than the PS1 versions.

I think the reason you didn't see more was that it was pretty much felt through the industry that 2d was dead.

Edited by BrutallyHonestGamer

I played through Tigger's Honey Hunt last year, and quite enjoyed it. It's obviously kid-oriented, and beating the game per se is pretty easy, but getting 100% completion is surprisingly tricky. It's a very pretty game with a lovely soundtrack and a basic sweetness about it -- and the fact that voice acting isn't included may actually be a plus.

Not sure why so many people hate Mortal Kombat Mythologies: Sub Zero -- I've enjoyed it quite a bit. Still need to beat it, though...

The N64 had some nice 2D capabilities. Just taking a look at Mischief Makers is enough to see it. I really, really wish there had been more of this.

Not sure why so many people hate Mortal Kombat Mythologies: Sub Zero -- I've enjoyed it quite a bit. Still need to beat it, though...

Because it was hard as #*$&. I have no doubt that very few people ever actually completed it. I enjoyed it though, as I was a huge MK fan back then.

Except there's very little about Paper Mario that's 2D. It's very much a 3D game even if the camera perspective is fixed.

About the only sprites I can even think of would be the items and the characters. The environment is 3D and most of what you see is texture covered polygons.

Edited by Atariboy

Except there's very little about Paper Mario that's 2D. It's very much a 3D game even if the camera perspective is fixed.

About the only sprites I can even think of would be the items and the characters. The environment is 3D and most of what you see is texture covered polygons.

The game seems to be fairly 2D with some added 3D effects. I see where you are coming from and I do agree, but for the sake of picking a game with any sort of 2D animation at all, I would say Paper Mario was my favorite.

The game seems to be fairly 2D with some added 3D effects. I see where you are coming from and I do agree, but for the sake of picking a game with any sort of 2D animation at all, I would say Paper Mario was my favorite.

There was a buzzword at the time, "2 1/2-D", to describe this.

Midway's Greatest Arcade Hits Volume 1 relies on emulation.

http://www.vavasour..../games.html#n64

There was a buzzword at the time, "2 1/2-D", to describe this.

2.5D is how something like Yoshi's Story would be described. A game with a perspective and gameplay reminiscent of 2D yet with the graphics created with 3D polygons.

Paper Mario is strictly a 3D game. People only are labeling it 2D since the camera can't be rotated and is fixed and because of the paper gimmick with the characters. But it can't be rotated in lots of 3D games like Super Mario Land 3D yet they're not being classified as 2D.

I don't see how this is anything but 3D. The only component of this game that even comes close to being 2.5D material would be the turn based battles.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bL76-4h2MuE

Edited by Atariboy

*Madden 2002 (contains "classic" mode of Genesis games)

Can anyone confirm that this is true? I know that a last gen version or two included some Genesis games, but this is the first I've heard of a Nintendo 64 version doing it.

It's such a late release for the system that there's not a lot of information out there about the N64 version specifically.

Edit - I found my confirmation. Has a Genesis mode that turns Madden 2002 into a Genesis styled game.

http://www.gamespot.com/madden-nfl-2002/reviews/madden-nfl-2002-review-2819752/

Not a football fan, but I think I'll keep my eye open for that to check it out.

Edited by Atariboy