IGNORED

XONOX labels - PAL vs NTSC

coleconut

I used to use the rule of thumb for identfying visually whether or not an Atari xonox cart was PAL or NTSC. I thought (as others have reported) that the diagonal type label meant NTSC and the horizontal type label meant PAL.

Although "usually" true, in another thread others have reported this to be incorrect.

Regardless, when it comes to the Coleco double enders, I have never seen personally nor pictured a double ender with the horizontal type label. Always the diagonal type.

Well until this week when I spot this one.

All I have is the picture at this point so what leads me to believe its Coleco is 3 clues.

#1 - the profile of the cart end seems bevelled not square like Atari

#2 - the lines of text beside the pictures on each side left and right of the pictures is not the same as the usual Atari cart The Atari cart usually has 2 lines of text on one side of the picture and 1 line of text on the other. This picture shows one line of text on two sides and 3 lines of text on another side and one side with no text at all.

#3 and finally the most compelling clue is the 4 ribs inside the cart slot itself. CV carts have these ribs, dont think ive seen an Atari cart with them.

So have i just not seen this label on a CV cart or is this truly rather unique? Maybe some of our European members can chime in on this one.

post-18191-0-85846700-1360113119_thumb.jpg

I assume that a small amount of these black background labeled Xonox Double-Enders were released in foreign markets (Europe to be more exact) as this eBay Germany auction isn't the first time that I have seen one show up for auction and to be more exact... I think the other one was on eBay Germany as well, just need to find the pic that I grabbed from the other one.. I guess one of these days, I will pull the plug and buy one but until then, I'll be interested to hear your findings when you receive it. I concur that it definetely looks like a ColecoVision cartridge as you have thoroughly noted all the tell tale signs, just weird that they would use the Atari 2600 version's artwork and layout design. BTW, I have a note about these black label double-enders in my Collectors Rarity List.

Since we are on the subject of Xonox releases, is there any significance behind their single cart releases using blue and purple background labels? Probably not, but just had to ask.

• 2 weeks later...