IGNORED

Bought a 2600 Jr. from Craigslist, it's not working.

JoeyWinston

Okay, so I bought a 2600 Jr. with 41 games from a guy on Craigslist for $30. He said it worked the last time he played it, which was about 2 years ago. I took it home and plugged it in, and (surprise!) it didn't work. I've spent time googling all day today and yesterday, and can't find a solution to my problem. I've hooked it up to an old CRT, and when I turn it on I see the game and can hear the sound for about half of a second before it cuts to a black screen. I've tried using a different RCA-Coax hookup at a local retro store, still no good. Plus, the RCA-Coax it came with works on my NES. (Yes, for those wondering, it's a manual switch box) So on to solution 2. I tried cleaning the contacts via rubbing alcohol and q-tips on a cartridge and putting the game in and pulling it out several times. Still no good. I've tried multiple games, and I get the same thing every time.

I'm going back to the retro store to try using a different power adapter tomorrow, the one that came with it doesn't warm up when plugged in, but the light on the console comes on. It's really hard to tell when the cover is on. Is this normal for the Jr.? Oh, I also cracked it open and aside from a few rust spots here and there, it looks to be in pretty good condition. All the soldering is solid and I can't really see anything wrong with it.

I was just wondering if anyone could tell me if I'm wasting my time trying to fix it. I'm hoping it's not a chip problem, but I don't know much about the 2600 to tell.

Edited by JoeyWinston

Still, the unit should be able to function on less than 500 mA, although that's what it's rated for. I had a light sixer that refused to run off of anything but an Atari brand adapter. A couple of weeks later, it refused to run off of even the Atari ones.

Hopefully your console will like it's new power brick for a long time.

BTW, you'd still have gotten an excellent deal even if the Junior had been totally broke.

Edited by shadow460

Still, the unit should be able to function on less than 500 mA, although that's what it's rated for. I had a light sixer that refused to run off of anything but an Atari brand adapter. A couple of weeks later, it refused to run off of even the Atari ones.

Hopefully your console will like it's new power brick for a long time.

BTW, you'd still have gotten an excellent deal even if the Junior had been totally broke.

Yeah, that's why I jumped on it. Had to drive an hour to get there but it was worth it. Some of the games are CIB and four of them are still factory sealed, but the boxes are in pretty rough shape. Part of me wants to open them and play, but the collector in me cringes at ripping off the shrink wrap, regardless of the condition of the boxes.

Any idea where I can find a fair value for these? I see this site has a rarity guide, but no average pricing. I've checked ebay and Amazon, but their prices are usually inflated on old games.

I'm not sure there really is one set price for any given game at any time. Let's consider a complete in box Dragster for a minute. It could be going for $5 on ebay today, then the average price might go up to $7 the next day, but it might sell in the wild for $2.I have no idea what a price guide would even say it's worth. Often times, pricing is just an educated guess.