IGNORED

Season 10 Round 3 - Marble Madness

CGQuarterly

Welcome to round 3 of the 10th season of the Atari Age NES High Score League!

I'm going back to 2-week rounds this season.

This round we are going to play Marble Madness.

PRIZE ALERT

Time to give away our first prize. This round's winner will receive a CIB copy Midway's "Arcade's Greatest Hits - The Atari Collection 2" for the PSX, featuring the arcade version of Marble Madness, along with Paperboy, Gauntlet, Roadblasters, Crystal Castles, and Millipede.

This round ends on Monday, February 18.

Title: Marble Madness

Developer: Rare

Publisher: Milton Bradley

Released: March 1989 (US)

http://youtu.be/bTtM0QTKfnc

Rules: You can set whatever control type works best for you.

Scores so far:

Nada

Current standings:

1. WispFollower 18

2(t). classicgamer_27330 7

2(t). Skosh 7

4. cparsley 6

5(t). asponge 2

5(t).roadrunner 2

5(t).darthkur 2

5(t).jblenkle 2

5(t).Liduario 2

10(t). Chuck D. Head 1

10(t).Jibbajaba 1

Edited by Jibbajaba

Great job Austin! I saw your score on my phone and initially thought you got through the six stages twice. I didn't know about the bonus at the end or penalties for dying. This is going to change my approach a little bit.

I wish you could loop the game, but unfortunately after the first go through, it's done.

post-27362-0-20056600-1360446047_thumb.png

Anyone have any tips on getting off of that first platform in the Ultimate Race? I can't seem to get enough speed up to make it to the hole. I just played three games without success. Grrrrr. :mad: On the bright side, I'm getting there with some consistency now.

post-27362-0-20056600-1360446047_thumb.png

Anyone have any tips on getting off of that first platform in the Ultimate Race? I can't seem to get enough speed up to make it to the hole. I just played three games without success. Grrrrr. :mad: On the bright side, I'm getting there with some consistency now.

:lol:

Reminds me of the guy linked to in Chuck's video. Use the second button, it speeds you up. Keep in mind some ramps require momentum. Position yourself more towards the far edge, then run straight up the platform (you have to be holding the speed button, otherwise it won't work well enough to actually make the jump).

:lol:

Reminds me of the guy linked to in Chuck's video. Use the second button, it speeds you up. Keep in mind some ramps require momentum. Position yourself more towards the far edge, then run straight up the platform (you have to be holding the speed button, otherwise it won't work well enough to actually make the jump).

I figured I was missing something. I don't remember there being a speed button. I guess I should have read the manual. Duh. Thanks man. I'll give it another try this week.

44,370 - A little more betterer! Got about halfway through the ultimate stage and made the jump from the start on my first try.

post-26465-0-15729600-1360607232_thumb.jpg

I tried using the NES Advantage, don't even bother with that. At least with the gamepad, you can tell when you are pushing in the diagonals, but no tactile feedback on the big stick.

I tried using the NES Advantage, don't even bother with that. At least with the gamepad, you can tell when you are pushing in the diagonals, but no tactile feedback on the big stick.

I'm using the Advantage and I think it works pretty well for this game. Although I generally prefer a joystick over a gamepad too so it may just be what you're used to.

I'm using the Advantage and I think it works pretty well for this game. Although I generally prefer a joystick over a gamepad too so it may just be what you're used to.

I agree with you. The NES Advantage works well for me on this game, but I actually haven't even tried anything else besides my computer keyboard. The Advantage is also one of my go-to controllers (for NES and other systems on emulators), so perhaps I am just accustomed to it.

I agree with you. The NES Advantage works well for me on this game, but I actually haven't even tried anything else besides my computer keyboard. The Advantage is also one of my go-to controllers (for NES and other systems on emulators), so perhaps I am just accustomed to it.

Probably just my lack of familiarity; I only dig the Advantage out when I am struggling and looking for some kind of, well, ......advantage.

Anyone get a time better than 54 on the practice race? If I use the fast button the whole way, with my ball off the bottom of the screen and steering from memory, I can get 54 and damn close to 55.

Anyone get a time better than 54 on the practice race? If I use the fast button the whole way, with my ball off the bottom of the screen and steering from memory, I can get 54 and damn close to 55.

Don't bother with speed on this one. I mean, yeah, go as fast as you naturally can, but you want to jump off one of the side ramps. You get an extra 3,000 to 5,000 points for a successful landing on the other side of the chasm, which will more than make up for the few hundred points you will lose in taking longer to get to the finish.