IGNORED

Grading Intellivision Boxes

boxpressed

I'm putting together a list of Intellivision games that I'm planning to sell, and I began to sort them by box condition. Then I thought it might be nice to have some consensus on what an "excellent," "very good," "good," "fair," or "poor" box looks like. Obviously, there are going to be differences based on style (gatefold / non-gatefold), manufacturers, etc. But maybe others will want to contribute. I'll start with three examples of the gatefold "Las Vegas Poker and Blackjack." These are all Hong Kong-made. I'll include one photo per post because of picture size limitations.

This is the example of a "very good" box. The corners are tight and do not show excessive wear (where the green color has worn off). The bottom and top flaps are flat and are not rolled or crushed.

post-30018-0-70640000-1360175064_thumb.jpg

Edited by boxpressed
  • Like 1

This is an example of a "good" box. There is greater wear at the corners, and the top or bottom flap may be slightly rolled or show some light creasing. The graphic may seem to be a little dingy with dust or dirt. Still satisfactory for display.

post-30018-0-24019600-1360175371_thumb.jpg

Edited by boxpressed

This is an example of a "fair" box. There are now small tears, particularly at stress points like the corners. The top and bottom flaps will be crushed or rolled under. The box doesn't retain a "square" shape so that the spine is "bent" left or right.

post-30018-0-65301800-1360175663_thumb.jpg

Edited by boxpressed

This is a good thread. I still have to go through my lots #3, and the unexpected #4. Between full dupes and putting items together, I expect to end up with at least dozen of CIB commons that I'll sell in one single lot. I am interested in what the experts here have to say on the subject.

Edited by B0B 1ob1aw

I would probably label the first one VG+ (maybe near mint, but I shy away from over-selling the condition), the second one VG and the third one Acceptable.

My two cents ...

Near Mint - Impeccable, nothing other than very minor wear.

VG to VG+ - The box shows some minor wear around the corners and some minor superficial marks/scratches

Good - The box shows wear and may have some creasing/bumping but is still solid.

Acceptable - The box has wear, heavy creasing, minor tape residue or small rip or two around the flaps. Box may have some shifting (doesn't close square on the INTV boxes).

Poor - All of the above to a greater degree. May have stains/water damage.

Edited by Fushek
  • Like 1

I should have taken a picture of this Night stalker box, that came in my very first lot. The thing was hopelessly crush flat, and held together in several places with black electrical tape. That condition level can be listed as "WTF?"

• Like 1

I would probably label the first one VG+ (maybe near mint, but I shy away from over-selling the condition), the second one VG and the third one Acceptable.

My two cents ...

Near Mint - Impeccable, nothing other than very minor wear.

VG to VG+ - The box shows some minor wear around the corners and some minor superficial marks/scratches

Good - The box shows wear and may have some creasing/bumping but is still solid.

Acceptable - The box has wear, heavy creasing, minor tape residue or small rip or two around the flaps. Box may have some shifting (doesn't close square on the INTV boxes).

Poor - All of the above to a greater degree. May have stains/water damage.

Very cool :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Ima stealin this ;) mainly because I'm getting lazy the older I get :grin: and it's obviously pretty good!

Edited by OutlawTorn71