IGNORED

Halloween & Texas Chainsaw boxes found?

IHATETHEBEARS

I'm a big horror & VHS fan. And this news popped up today. Apparently Wizard Video has also unearthed some of the original boxes for the two Atari games. It doesn't say the cartridges are there. So I assume it's just the boxes. But you never know.

Anyway, I thought this might interest some of you.

http://www.wizardvideocollection.com/press-release.html?utm_source=Wizard+Video+Collecton+on+VHS%2C+details+revealed%21&utm_campaign=Wizard+debuts&utm_medium=email

• Like 1

For what it's worth...I called Wizard Video/Full Moon Direct and asked about the plans for the 2600 boxes, since Charles Band said he hadn't "decided what to do with them yet" in that video I linked to above. The plan for the VHS boxes that were found is for them to be sold containing newly made tape copies of the films dubbed from the original masters (which Band still has). I asked if they plan to do the same thing with the 2600 boxes (filling them with newly made reproduction cartridges). I was told that they have considered that, but the problem is Wizard/Full Moon no longer has the video publishing rights to Halloween and TCM, making a reissue using these boxes problematic from a legal perspective. So, they are definitely going to do something with the 2600 boxes but plans are still "up in the air", as I was told.

I did mention the fact that the TCM box in the video is a prototype box (something he was apparently unaware of). I also mentioned the fact that Flesh Gordon was completed and was sent to Wizard for review, but the only copy in existence has never been seen since. I told them that if anything related to this game turned up, it would be of considerable interest to collectors. We'll have to wait and see what happens...

• Like 1

You owned a black box Halloween once?

That's interesting.

Yeah, it exists. I think Wonder007 might have one as well, but I'm not entirely sure about that.

Thanks for calling them, Pingvin.

Well, I figure if Flesh Gordon is ever going to surface, now is the time. I met Charles Band in person a few years ago and tried to put the bug in his ear about it then, but he didn't really seem too interested. With this newfound interest in Wizard Video and him actually taking steps to dig old stuff out, I figure that making some noise about it now might result in some effort on his part toward locating the lost prototype (if it still exists, of course).

You owned a black box Halloween once?

That's interesting.

8)

Yep, I do. I don't post nearly as often as a lot of people here, but I've been extremely fortunate in my Atari collecting over the years.

halloween_black_box_small.jpg

I remember being told by Jerry Greiner back in the 1990s that he didn't have a black "Halloween" box, but that just made me think that some copies were released in black boxes and others in orange box. I had no idea that the black box was a prototype box. Cool!

I bought my CIB "Halloween" from Villa Video for about $16-$17 back in the day... along with a copy of "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre" with manual for about $13 or so. I eventually bought a red-box copy of "TCM" on eBay in the mid-2000s for a decent chunk... but I kept my first copy around as well. It would be awesome to be able to purchase a black "TCM" box as well and have two CIB copies in my collection.

I decided to include my boxed copy of "Quadrun" in the picture as well. I bought that one from another collector for $35 + shipping way back in my early Internet days - probably 1996 or 1997. Neither the seller (who had set the price, incidentally) nor I realized exactly how rare it was at the time. I've been very, very lucky.

[There are a few other pictures of my collection on this 2004 OKGE gallery page... 107.jpg, 108.jpg, and 109.jpg, specifically.]

Edited by DJ Badger
  • Like 3

I remember being told by Jerry Greiner back in the 1990s that he didn't have a black "Halloween" box, but that just made me think that some copies were released in black boxes and others in orange box. I had no idea that the black box was a prototype box. Cool!

The black TCM prototype box has no screen shots on the back, just a simple description of the game (and it's not a description of the released game, it's the original prototype version that was dropped).

What does the back of the black Halloween box look like?

The black TCM prototype box has no screen shots on the back, just a simple description of the game (and it's not a description of the released game, it's the original prototype version that was dropped).

What does the back of the black Halloween box look like?

It also has no screen shots, with a description of the game:

halloween_black_box2_small.jpg

Edited by DJ Badger
  • Like 2

Well...Charles Band is no stranger to controversy, and on the VHS side of things, there is already quite a bit of it. VHS collectors are pretty upset about the fact that these NOS Wizard boxes are entering the marketplace and will potentially destroy the collectibility and value of the originals. The actual video tapes inside these boxes are going to be reproductions, but all someone needs to do is take an original tape and insert it inside one of these new boxes to essentially make a mint original.

Even collectors who support the release are crying foul about the price ($50 per tape, plus $10 shipping), and there have already been claims (so far unproven) that these supposed NOS boxes are in fact fakes/reproductions.

There are also serious questions as to the legality of reissuing many of the titles on video. (Wizard may have the original masters to these films, but do they still have the rights to distribute them?)

Apparently someone tipped off Meir Zarchi (the director of 'I Spit on Your Grave') that Wizard was planning to reissue his film on VHS, and he was none too pleased about it. In fact, he seemed to insinuate that Wizard never had the video rights in the first place...

In the early 80's I had a claim against this guy for piracy. I hope he is not repeating his mistake. I am going to submit this to my legal entities for their review and action.

It'll be very interesting to see how this whole thing plays out....

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

This just in...

According to

, the Wizard boxes that were "found" are fakes. This guy makes a very strong case and definitely knows his stuff. Even more evidence is presented

Busted! :pirate:

I guess this is both good and bad. Good that originals aren't going to plummet in value for those who already own them, but bad that we'll soon have high quality fake boxes floating around. :thumbsdown: