IGNORED

Worst 2600 Sound Effect?

atarilovesyou

You only get to pick ONE...your all time, most hated sound effect on the 2600! Oh yes, there's plenty to choose from...but you only get ONE!

My pick:

The sound Pacman makes when he eats a ghost. "Buck!choooOOOO!"

All-time worst sound effect on the system, IMO.

We'll count up the top three and give a round of applause to the worst one...or maybe just a giant ripper, who knows?

That little grating off-key tune that plays when Pac-Man starts is worse than that. Do little tunes count as sound effects?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJ5phkEZqsY

Yes...sadly yes you can. DAMN...this game has so many, we might end up with a title for everything from when the dots are eaten to every other sound! I agree...that opening 'song' IS worse than my pick....but I piced it, and much like a nose, I can't unpick it. Nice choice!

• Like 2

The Atari 2600 sounds like the decomposing flatulence of a bloated yamaha keyboard corpse. The worst sound effect is clearly whatever comes out of the TV speakers!

The Atari 2600 can make some pretty good sound effects:

www.randomterrain.com/atari-2600-memories-program-tone-toy-2008.html

Actually, my hidden agenda was to point out that the 2600 is pretty handicapped when it comes to producing dulcet tones. Nostalgia shouldn't cover up the fact many games where a screeching, possessed door-buzzer mess.

What we should be talking about is the games that somehow overcame those limitations. I vote Star Trek from Sega as one.

• Like 2

Gentlemen, please: yes we all know the VCS can produce some GREAT sound effects...this is not the point of this thread, however:

The WORST...that's what I wanna know, lol! For fun and for sadistic enjoyment....which is kinda like fun, lol. The "best sound effect" thread can wait for another day (and would be just as cool in a way).

There are some truly insulting tones, no doubt. In contrast to the guy who thinks all the sounds from Pacman are nostalgic and enjoys them, I always thought the sound of the laser cannon being destroyed in Space Invaders was a really cool sound...as opposed to that horrid Wall Ball out sound (gah!). The VCS for some reason has a hard time with producing certain tones (kinda like trying to play the national anthem with only 5 tones in the wrong key, lol).

Technical limitations aside, some sounds just irk ya. The worst of the worst, I say! Let's have em'!

Gentlemen, please: yes we all know the VCS can produce some GREAT sound effects...this is not the point of this thread, however:

The WORST...that's what I wanna know, lol! For fun and for sadistic enjoyment....which is kinda like fun, lol. The "best sound effect" thread can wait for another day (and would be just as cool in a way).

There are some truly insulting tones, no doubt. In contrast to the guy who thinks all the sounds from Pacman are nostalgic and enjoys them, I always thought the sound of the laser cannon being destroyed in Space Invaders was a really cool sound...as opposed to that horrid Wall Ball out sound (gah!). The VCS for some reason has a hard time with producing certain tones (kinda like trying to play the national anthem with only 5 tones in the wrong key, lol).

Technical limitations aside, some sounds just irk ya. The worst of the worst, I say! Let's have em'!

I like the PAC-MAN sounds and prefer the sounds from Space Invaders over the arcade version. For the most part I like the sounds of the VCS. If I can play the game without turning the volume off then I like most of the sounds. Wall Ball is the only game I can think of at the moment that I must play with the volume off.

I like that little tune that plays at the start of Pac-Man. What's with all the hate on that game? Reminds me of the 80's,nothin' wrong with that!

Hair bands also remind me of the 1980s, but it doesn't mean I have to like all of them. There are things I like and hate about the 1980s. I usually try to avoid the things I hated back then.

There are two main reasons why that Pac-Man 'tune' sucks:

1. It's hard on the ears for people who aren't totally tone-deaf. It's not just off-key, it also has a kind of grating sound to it, as if someone is attempting to play the tune by scratching their fingernails across a chalkboard as they try to shove the chalkboard up a cat's ass.
    __
  2. We were expecting a tune that at least hinted at the tune from the arcade game. Not only did they not try to match at least a portion of the tune from the arcade version, it's like they went out of their way to make something that was offensive to the ears. If you are going to ignore the tune from the arcade, at least make a tune that is pleasing. We want sweet ear candy, not bitter ear vomit.

• Like 2

I'd have to say the "Don't Stop Believin'" at the beginning of Journey Escape. It sounds like somebody trying to play a song on a telephone. The pitch intervals aren't what we hear from typical instruments (from any period). The result is a sound of something played by an out-of-tune instrument, or by somebody with a REALLY bad ear....

The "fly ball" sound effect from Real Sports Baseball. You'd think that it would be hard to make a sound suck if it has no real-world counterpart, but they somehow pulled it off.

Funny thing is, when I thought "most offensive Atari sounds", the first thing that came to mind wasn't even a 2600 game--it was Donkey Kong for the 7800.

Edited by Cynicaster
  • Like 1

The awful doo-doo-doo sound in Surround. It's actually not too bad a sound on it's own, but when you play the game with your kid for over an hour, your brain will start to lock on to the beat and go into "kill me, please" mode... I remember lying in bed that night, and all I could hear in my mind was doo-doo-doo-doo-doo-doo-doo....

On the other hand, love the simple start-up sounds for Defender and Missile Command.

• Like 2

Hair bands also remind me of the 1980s, but it doesn't mean I have to like all of them. There are things I like and hate about the 1980s. I usually try to avoid the things I hated back then.

There are two main reasons why that Pac-Man 'tune' sucks:

1. It's hard on the ears for people who aren't totally tone-deaf. It's not just off-key, it also has a kind of grating sound to it, as if someone is attempting to play the tune by scratching their fingernails across a chalkboard as they try to shove the chalkboard up a cat's ass.
    __
  2. We were expecting a tune that at least hinted at the tune from the arcade game. Not only did they not try to match at least a portion of the tune from the arcade version, it's like they went out of their way to make something that was offensive to the ears. If you are going to ignore the tune from the arcade, at least make a tune that is pleasing. We want sweet ear candy, not bitter ear vomit.

Well that's your opinion! I can understand if you've played that game hundreds of times and how that sound can get on your nerves but personally I find it very nostalgic. I'd rather listen to that sound then alot of hair metal bands albums actually.

LADIES and Gentlemen, please: yes we all know the VCS can produce some GREAT sound effects...this is not the point of this thread, however:

Sorry I had to fix your post! Bothers me when my presence/posts get ignored just cos I'm a girl. PFFFFT!!!And that weird comment above somewhere....if that's a jab at my avatar you're wrong! My keyboard is a Casio NOT a Yamaha and I don't look like a bloated corpse. LOL And no way does Atari 2600 sound like flatulence. Well maybe only when the ship blows up in Space Invaders.

Edited by lushgirl_80
  • Like 1

Sorry I had to fix your post! Bothers me when my presence/posts get ignored just cos I'm a girl. PFFFFT!!!And that weird comment above somewhere....if that's a jab at my avatar you're wrong! My keyboard is a Casio NOT a Yamaha and I don't look like a bloated corpse. LOL And no way does Atari 2600 sound like flatulence. Well maybe only when the ship blows up in Space Invaders.

I agree about Pac-Man having nostalgic tones. So does most of the television industry, who have used the sound effects from the 2600 versions of Pac-Man and Donkey Kong to represent video games (particularly in the 19980s and 1990s) in many, many sitcoms. I'll try to dig up some examples. The shows Bailey Kipper's P.O.V., You Can't Do That on Television, Family Matters, and Roseanne come to mind.

So, I'm not going to argue something subjective like if they truly are aggravating. They're definitive of gaming in popular culture, however, and that's pretty significant.

• Like 1