IGNORED

5200 Tempest Now Available!

Albert

This is curious. is the PC stick a huge improvement over the 5200 stick? Not the buttons but the stick itself in controlling the shooter?

I tried Tempest with a 5200 Wico stick and found the Trakball so much better for an instant movement response as well as controlled track by track movement. I really like the way the trakball can quickly jump around the tube and also stop on a dime exact where i want it that an analog stick cannot do.

What I like best about the PC Joystick (and this also applied to Galaxian) is that since you can control the speed of the ship by how far out you move the stick, you can zip across the screen and then stop and artfully dodge when necessary (or fire, in the case of Tempest.)

My main beef with the trackball is that if you're spinning around the well really fast and suddenly need to change direction, you need to stop the trackball and then get it spitting in the opposite direction, whereas you can just move the joystick in the other direction. This isn't a problem with Galaxian and the like, because you don't have the "wrap around" control like you do with Tempest, where you just get the ball spinning faster and faster. Whereas in Galaxian or Space Invaders you'll just stop when you reach the edge of the screen.

Well, it seems clear that one indirect benefit of the release of Tempest has been the cleaning/repairing of many 5200 consoles and controllers, which is a worthwhile outcome in itself!

We also have another game which demonstartes the superiority of analog controls. :D

• Like 1

Here is the overlay we created for Tempest. Note that the 1-2 player option is no longer available in the finished game.

Very nice, thankyou for posting the overlay. By chance, is there a larger size image?

Just for interest, here is also a picture of the original disks that the Tempest code came from.

Where did you get the picture of the floppies? A link and story of this?

What I like best about the PC Joystick (and this also applied to Galaxian) is that since you can control the speed of the ship by how far out you move the stick, you can zip across the screen and then stop and artfully dodge when necessary (or fire, in the case of Tempest.)

My main beef with the trackball is that if you're spinning around the well really fast and suddenly need to change direction, you need to stop the trackball and then get it spitting in the opposite direction, whereas you can just move the joystick in the other direction. This isn't a problem with Galaxian and the like, because you don't have the "wrap around" control like you do with Tempest, where you just get the ball spinning faster and faster. Whereas in Galaxian or Space Invaders you'll just stop when you reach the edge of the screen.

I feel the Trakball has a better instant control. Really, it is not just spin ther ball to guesstimate where to move the shooter. Rotate the Trakball exactly for how much to move track by track or a quick bump spin on the fly. I really love the instant stop simply by touching the ball to a stop with my finger tip. Reversing direction is an easy flik the finger the other direction. The analog stick has to returned to the middle EVERY TIME to stop movement which just cannot be done as quickly as the Trakball. On top of this, movement is harder to vary the speed to instantly controll as the shooter rotates around the tube, it is a ballpark hit where the shooter actually goes.

The best way I can describe is pick a track segment several stripes away. Aim exactly with the fastest movement possible for that track segment with an Analog Stick and try it again with the Trakball. The Analog stick will tend to overshoot the target. To hit exact would only work with a slow movement and pop the stick at the exact moment when on top of that track. The Trakball can move the target more rapidly since the movement correlates exactly with the push of your fingers and stop on a dime simply by stopping the ball.

Another analogy is look at your mouse cursor, try it with a Trakball. Note how easy it is to control slowly as well as rapidly and still hitting an exact spot on the screen, picture doing the same with an analog stick. Another way to compare is moving a pointer in a puzzle game or point to click adventure game. The stick is just harder to get to an exact spot on the screen.

We also have another game which demonstartes the superiority of analog controls. :D

I think the only thing superior to a Trakball for Tempest would be a Spinner, the right controller for it in the Arcade cab. A Spinner has no drag at all compared to a Trakball triple roller arrangement. This is the reason why I mentioned the lubrication of the rollers and scrubbing away any buildup on the brass rollers. Even though the Analog stick does not get the grime buildup of a trakball, it just cannot get the precise movement needed especially for a game such as Tempest. A maintained Trakball puts it close to the level of a Spinner in control and vastly superior to an analog stick for quick with precise movement track by track control.

I am not saying an analog stick is a bad control, just not the best option for style needed for 5200 Tempest. Throw in Robotron and I'll take the duel stick or any other game with a stick that does not need the huge variable speed control that Spinners and Trakballs can do.

Edited by CRTGAMER

Here is the overlay we created for Tempest. Note that the 1-2 player option is no longer available in the finished game.

How cool! Would it be possible to make a short run of those? I remember the overlays being some odd material that wasn't paper, didn't seem like normal plastic. What was that stuff?

How cool! Would it be possible to make a short run of those? I remember the overlays being some odd material that wasn't paper, didn't seem like normal plastic. What was that stuff?

There are at least two different types of overlays, but I think they are all plastic of sone sort or another. I'll have to look through my collection of 5200 overlays. It's certainly possible to have some made, but not sure how expensive they'd be.

..Al

Printing overlays on stock printer paper and laminating works well.

I've thought of that but usually when you laminate something you need a small outer section of plastic-to-plastic which wouldn't work with the overlays if you wanted to make them the same size as the originals. I've made small laminated cards for different reasons and if I trim them to close to the paper inside the plastic seperates.

Allan

There are at least two different types of overlays, but I think they are all plastic of sone sort or another. I'll have to look through my collection of 5200 overlays. It's certainly possible to have some made, but not sure how expensive they'd be.

Put me on the buy list for two overlays if you do this please. Either one of each or two of the same if you only press one version.

Printing overlays on stock printer paper and laminating works well.

I've thought of that but usually when you laminate something you need a small outer section of plastic-to-plastic which wouldn't work with the overlays if you wanted to make them the same size as the originals. I've made small laminated cards for different reasons and if I trim them to close to the paper inside the plastic seperates.

No need to go past the edge of the overlay, its not like it wouild be exposed to moisture. However, the lamination would be too thick, especially if stuck on both sides to protect the overlay paper printout. There would not be enough flex to hit individual buttons,but might work since only a couple bottom keys are used.

I mentioned earlier of using shiny transparent tape. Non corded postal tape would work, it is thin enough for both sides and still maintain the flex.

I think the best route would be reproduction overlays that Albert is proposing, maybe a poll of who all would buy a set? A set of two for me, even if one player, worth investing in two. Two overlays can fit evenly in the back of the cart with each leg reversed. My guess is most that invested in the complete boxed 5200 Tempest would gladly buy the overlays if a similar material to 5200 original overlays.

Put me on the buy list for two overlays if you do this please. Either one of each or two of the same if you only press one version.

No need to go past the edge of the overlay, its not like it wouild be exposed to moisture. However, the lamination would be too thick, especially if stuck on both sides to protect the overlay paper printout. There would not be enough flex to hit individual buttons,but might work since only a couple bottom keys are used.

I mentioned earlier of using shiny transparent tape. Non corded postal tape would work, it is thin enough for both sides and still maintain the flex.

I think the best route would be reproduction overlays that Albert is proposing, maybe a poll of who all would buy a set? A set of two for me, even if one player, worth investing in two. Two overlays can fit evenly in the back of the cart with each leg reversed. My guess is most that invested in the complete boxed 5200 Tempest would gladly buy the overlays if a similar material to 5200 original overlays.

Oh yeah, put me down for a set. The most complete homebrew Atari 5200 game, are you kidding?

I only ordered my copy of Tempest last Tuesday, and received it on Thursday (!!!!). Awesome turnaround time, Al!

For the most part my impressions align with those already mentioned - outstanding packaging - the box, the label, the manual, all first-rate. The game is great as well - sound is out-of-this-world, graphics are pretty good, features & functionality are splendid.

I've only got two spots of concern, both of which might just be my own equipment or personal lack of skill, and no fault of the game itself -

1. Control - with the joystick I find the game nearly unplayable. I've always been the staunchest defender of the 5200 joysticks, but with this game I find myself rocketing wildly around the playfield, unable to control myself with any precision at all. WIth the Trak Ball things are much better. Maybe my POKEY needs adjusting? Maybe I just need to practice?
  2. The display is very, very dark, and the enemies are almost impossible to see. My 5200 has 8-bit domain's AV mod installed. The composite video is connected to the composite input on a Panasonic DVD recorder, and the DVD is connected to a Panasonic plasma TV via component. In order to viably see the playfield and the enemies, I need to turn the brightness all the way up to 99. I normally watch TV with the brightness set at 50 (out of 100). Given the connections is this something to be expected? Does it suggest I need to adjust something in the 5200?

Other than those two issues I think this game is 'radical', to turn a phrase from Tempest's heyday. ;-)

I only ordered my copy of Tempest last Tuesday, and received it on Thursday (!!!!). Awesome turnaround time, Al!

For the most part my impressions align with those already mentioned - outstanding packaging - the box, the label, the manual, all first-rate. The game is great as well - sound is out-of-this-world, graphics are pretty good, features & functionality are splendid.

I've only got two spots of concern, both of which might just be my own equipment or personal lack of skill, and no fault of the game itself -

1. Control - with the joystick I find the game nearly unplayable. I've always been the staunchest defender of the 5200 joysticks, but with this game I find myself rocketing wildly around the playfield, unable to control myself with any precision at all. WIth the Trak Ball things are much better. Maybe my POKEY needs adjusting? Maybe I just need to practice?

2. The display is very, very dark, and the enemies are almost impossible to see. My 5200 has 8-bit domain's AV mod installed. The composite video is connected to the composite input on a Panasonic DVD recorder, and the DVD is connected to a Panasonic plasma TV via component. In order to viably see the playfield and the enemies, I need to turn the brightness all the way up to 99. I normally watch TV with the brightness set at 50 (out of 100). Given the connections is this something to be expected? Does it suggest I need to adjust something in the 5200?

Other than those two issues I think this game is 'radical', to turn a phrase from Tempest's heyday. ;-)

Just making a suggestion here, but I found my display (even on a plasma) looks 100% better when the 5200 is hooked up through a VCR with Coaxial. (with the VCR hooked though Composite. I went to a local flea market and picked up a working VCR just for this purpose, everything looks great now!

As for your controller issues, I find tapping the stick lightly gives you more precise shots.

Just making a suggestion here, but I found my display (even on a plasma) looks 100% better when the 5200 is hooked up through a VCR with Coaxial. (with the VCR hooked though Composite. I went to a local flea market and picked up a working VCR just for this purpose, everything looks great now!

Same exact thing that I did. And the 5200 looks great on my panasonic plasma. It must be your hookup itself, NoahsMyBro.

Control via 5200 stick - it takes me a moment or two, but once I adjust, I have few problems with joystick control. Did you try to just barely move the stick away from center? Once you get used to it, it isn't that hard to do a slow creep around the playfield, or press a little harder to zip around. If you can't pull this off, maybe your stick needs re-centered or something. I've never adjusted my system's pokey, personally, but I've owned like 6 sticks and I've adjusted all of them at one point.

As for your controller issues, I find tapping the stick lightly gives you more precise shots.

Hmm. Well, while I do have a VCR (VCR/DVD recorder combo, because why not) I also have a composite-out modded 5200 that I plug into the front RCA jacks on my Sony Wega 36" HDTV (4:3 aspect ratio no less!). And it looks fantastic. I highly recommend that CRT (if you can find one), it looks better than every plasma and LCD I've seen so far. A 5200 console deserves no less.

CRT is the way to go, I still have 5 old style Commodore 1702's that I still use..

.. I have looked through this thread for this, and

since I cant' find it here.. I have to do this..

Its a brand new game from Atari.. Have you played Atari today?.. come

on sing it with me..

• 2 weeks later...