IGNORED

5200 Tempest Now Available!

Albert

Tempest is an awesome arcade game btw! I'm almost tempted to buy Tempest just for the cool factor, despite the fact that I don't even own an Atari 5200.

I finally got my Tempest fix a while back while playing the 6-in-1 SNES Midway's Arcade Classics: Atari collection, despite the fact that D-pad control is far from Ideal.

There are other console versions that can use a RC driving controller as a spinner or even a trakball or mouse.

I'm on the fence on 5200 Tempest because of the price and having other versions already. The $50.00 price is a breaking point for me, but justified due to the history and work into the packaging. How much would the cart only sell for later on?

There are other console versions that can use a RC driving controller as a spinner or even a trakball or mouse.

I'm on the fence on 5200 Tempest because of the price and having other versions already. The $50.00 price is a breaking point for me, but justified due to the history and work into the packaging. How much would the cart only sell for later on?

Actually I don't believe there are any other console versions of Tempest other than the unreleased 2600 version (does the Jag version of Tempest 2000 have a 'classic' mode? I can't remember). The only ports that seem to have been released were for computers and even then the only official one was for the Atari ST. Well until you got into all those 'greatest hits' kind of compilations.

Actually I don't believe there are any other console versions of Tempest other than the unreleased 2600 version (does the Jag version of Tempest 2000 have a 'classic' mode? I can't remember). The only ports that seem to have been released were for computers and even then the only official one was for the Atari ST. Well until you got into all those 'greatest hits' kind of compilations.

Yes, the other console versions I was referring to are on various arcade compilations. I'm not sure on the Jag Tempest, but PS1 Tempest X3 which is an enhanced version, also a basic wire frame mode that simulates the arcade. Some of the Arcade Compilations and Tempest X3 can use the alternate controllers. Tempest X3 really works well with a Nyco Trakball or crazy fast with a Performace UltraRacer.

5200 Tempest is very tempting to buy due to what it represents in the history. I am curious how quick and also slow accuracy of track by track jump the 5200 Trakball is capable of. Perhaps in the OP a review showing screenshots, comparison to the Arcade and how well the controls work? Does the 5200 stick work as in Centipede variable speed or Gorf instant though too quick movement? Both styles are needed for Tempest. Does the Trakball match to the dead accurate and also quick movement of the Spinner in the Arcade version?

5200 Tempest controls works like Centipede w/ variable speed. It works even better with the trackball. If you get 5200 Tempest it will work great with the CX52 joystick but you must get the trackball. It's amazing with it. It's the best game using the trackball (until somebody hacks the 5200 version of Crystal Castles to use it.)

Allan

5200 Tempest controls works like Centipede w/ variable speed. It works even better with the trackball. If you get 5200 Tempest it will work great with the CX52 joystick but you must get the trackball. It's amazing with it. It's the best game using the trackball (until somebody hacks the 5200 version of Crystal Castles to use it.)

Allan

Good to read about the variable speed, maybe the game will work well with my Wicos which can be set to self centering on or off. I also own the 5200 Trakball which should work as well as the Spinner instant control of the Arcade. I have so many renditions of Tempest with PS1 X3 being my favorite due to the Trakball control. Do I really need this version, but oh the historical aspect of it. What to do......

Bought One! :woozy:

I couldn't stand it, I have been waiting for the 5200 version for many years after seeing those prop boxes on the Cloak and Dagger Laser disc movie I own many years ago. Gaah what was wrong with me, happily prepaid a reserve copy!

Thanks to Atari Age and Keithen Hayenga for bringing this game out and in a very professional looking package. I'll get the word out on Racketboy.

I have been watching for this cart for a while, my post with pics back in 2010!

http://www.racketboy...=293108#p293108

Edited by CRTGAMER
  • Like 1

Received the proofs today. Tempest manual looks good, although there were issues with some of the other manuals (RGB to CMYK conversion issues, fairly common, where blue prints as purple) that they need to correct. I expect them to run the manuals tomorrow.

..Al

Glad to see that these other great games are also close to being ready for release!

Actually I don't believe there are any other console versions of Tempest other than the unreleased 2600 version (does the Jag version of Tempest 2000 have a 'classic' mode?

Yes, the other console versions I was referring to are on various arcade compilations. I'm not sure on the Jag Tempest, but PS1 Tempest X3 which is an enhanced version, also a basic wire frame mode that simulates the arcade. Some of the Arcade Compilations and Tempest X3 can use the alternate controllers. Tempest X3 really works well with a Nyco Trakball or crazy fast with a Performace UltraRacer.

Mid 90's saw Tempest released on PSX, Jaguar, and Saturn platforms. All are good, and the PSX has a Namco Jogcon controller that is excellent for this game.

Received the proofs today. Tempest manual looks good, although there were issues with some of the other manuals (RGB to CMYK conversion issues, fairly common, where blue prints as purple) that they need to correct. I expect them to run the manuals tomorrow.

tempest_manual.jpg

Might want to put Seaweed Assault on top next time. Or move Tempest over a little bit. ;)

• Like 2

Is it just me, or does the $20 markup for only the box seem a little much? I understand that 250 of these will be produced CIB, and once those are sold out, they will be $30 with cart + manual. So basically you are paying $20 for the box plus cardboard/foam insert. Never mind the fact that the Atariage store sells a lot of 2600 games for $25 each, while places like retrousb.com regularly sell NES repros (with brand new parts) for $50. NES games also require two ROMs instead of one, and the mapper hardware is a lot more complex to duplicate. The issue here is not the final $50 price tag, but that the box by itself is a $20 markup. Do they really cost that much to manufacture in bulk 100+ quantities? While I understand some sites selling NES reproduction boxes for $20, those are typically made to order one at a time. I'm pretty sure it costs considerably more to make the games themselves than the boxes.

While I do enjoy Tempest, and at $50 it would be an instant buy for me, I currently don't own an Atari 5200, so if I did buy this game, I would only be able to enjoy it as a display piece.

First off, Tempest 5200 is not necessarily going to only be $30 if and when the boxes are exhausted. And this is even assuming I sell out of the boxes. There is no guarantee there, and I have many games that I will probably never run out of boxes. Those NES repros you're talking about probably sell considerably more than any of the homebrew games I sell in the AtariAge Store. There's a pretty limited market for the 5200--just think how many more NES systems Nintendo sold--I wouldn't be surprised if it was tenfold or more. The NES also has a HUGE fanbase compared to the 5200. So there is an economy of scale involved that you simply won't get for the 5200 market. This is especially true of boxes, which are very expensive to have printed in small quantities, and this is an expense I have to pay for up front, along with the manuals, labels, and everything else that goes into producing homebrew games (circuit boards, TTL chips, EPROMs, used 5200 cartridge shells, and so forth). This doesn't even count reprinting the manuals, which wasn't necessary, but I'm a bit of a perfectionist so I wanted to make sure this release was done right, and that's money coming out of my pocket. Price out 250 boxes printed on chipboard paper stock on an offset press, with a custom die for the boxes, and you'll see it's an expensive proposition. And don't forget the box insert, also cut with a custom die on chipboard stock, and these can only be used with 5200 carts.

Of the various systems I produce homebrew games for, the 5200 games require the most work due to the cartridge shells. It takes a lot of time to prepare the shells, as the labels are generally difficult to remove, and there are many steps involved before I have a shell that is suitable for using with a new homebrew game (I recently posted a few photos of this process in another Tempest 5200 thread). For all the labor involved in producing a boxed 5200 game, $50 is a pretty reasonable price in my opinion. And this doesn't count all the time spent working on this project before I even built a single project. Like Adventure II, this project has been ongoing for several years.

As for your "brand new parts" comment with regard to NES repros, except for the cartridge shells, everything that goes into an AtariAge 2600, 5200 or 7800 homebrew game is brand new. This includes the EPROMs for the games--I always use new EPROMs where I can, and I have a large stockpile of them now.

Finally, that boxed copy of Tempest for the 5200 is going to be worth quite a bit more than a loose copy down the road, should you ever decide to sell it. I know I could sell the game for more than $50 and people would still buy it, but I prefer to keep the prices reasonable.

..Al

• Like 6

There's a pretty limited market for the 5200--just think how many more NES systems Nintendo sold--I wouldn't be surprised if it was tenfold or more. The NES also has a HUGE fanbase compared to the 5200. So there is an economy of scale involved that you simply won't get for the 5200 market. This is especially true of boxes, which are very expensive to have printed in small quantities, and this is an expense I have to pay for up front, along with the manuals, labels, and everything else that goes into producing homebrew games (circuit boards, TTL chips, EPROMs, used 5200 cartridge shells, and so forth). This doesn't even count reprinting the manuals, which wasn't necessary, but I'm a bit of a perfectionist so I wanted to make sure this release was done right, and that's money coming out of my pocket. Price out 250 boxes printed on chipboard paper stock on an offset press, with a custom die for the boxes, and you'll see it's an expensive proposition. And don't forget the box insert, also cut with a custom die on chipboard stock, and these can only be used with 5200 carts.

Of the various systems I produce homebrew games for, the 5200 games require the most work due to the cartridge shells. It takes a lot of time to prepare the shells, as the labels are generally difficult to remove, and there are many steps involved before I have a shell that is suitable for using with a new homebrew game (I recently posted a few photos of this process in another Tempest 5200 thread). For all the labor involved in producing a boxed 5200 game, $50 is a pretty reasonable price in my opinion. And this doesn't count all the time spent working on this project before I even built a single project. Like Adventure II, this project has been ongoing for several years.

THIS, the price seems fair due to a limited market compared to other consoles. I was hesitant at buying 5200 Tempest at first due to the cost and owning so many ports already on other consoles. The main draw for me is the History point of view, how the obstacles were overcome to make the game finally available in a complete package as if bought new decades ago. Buy the game to try on the best Trakball of any console and mainly for owning a great piece of history in Atari.

EDIT

Can you post a link to the thread showing how the carts are made? Looks like an interesting read.

EDIT 2

I think I found it, this page?

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/203695-5200-tempest/page__st__100

Edited by CRTGAMER

how do you know if you got boxed copy or not, just a surprise when it comes in the mail? i ordered mine last Tuesday so hoping I was lucky enough to get the box and manual.

All the copies purchased thus far are boxed copies. I will update the store if and when I sell out of boxed copies. The price will go down, and the description and pictures will reflect the fact that a box is no longer included.

..Al