IGNORED

Easy fix for dirty pot?

slyde

You still don't seem to see my only point. I do and will use both, but your WD-40 evaporates completely away leaving nothing behind, I can't let you say it does different without informing people that they need to prove that oil content rumor for themselves, because it is totally false as far as I am able to determine. Whatever it is, it doesn't leave any kind of oil behind. I sure do get worked up when people can't see the forest for the trees. No coffee, more cabin fever than anything else, but the days are getting longer as we speak, so that solution is just a matter of time.

Let's cut the crap and tell me why is it then my noisy door hinge no longer squeaks after I apply WD-40, obviously it does leave some oils (or lubricants) behind (there are things you can not see, but that doesn't mean they don't exist) it may not be forever but as I said earlier life isn't forever either. And I do not read "ads", I do my investigation through more serious means and I do back my points with my experience, so my suggestion to you is to read more and stop whining.

Edited by atari8warez
  • Like 1

@a8w Please be wise and drop the subject. It was you that wrote that you was not up to a WD-40 vs whatever fight, but some people do explain this like: please start such a thread, and you are biting in their bait. Don't do it. If you think WD-40 is a good solution, use it.

@a8w Please be wise and drop the subject. It was you that wrote that you was not up to a WD-40 vs whatever fight, but some people do explain this like: please start such a thread, and you are biting in their bait. Don't do it. If you think WD-40 is a good solution, use it.

Hey I knew they will come, as they always do, and that's why I said "let's not start..", but if they do despite the warning, I am not the type of person who will swallow everything thrown my way, sorry Marius but this is who I am and won't be apologetic about that especially when accusations about my personality is made.

So Ken jabs you good in another thread and you come back here to fight me over a supposed insult I made? I finally have some traction now? All I really wanted in the first place, but still not interested in that. Crap cut.

Invisible oil? I really, really wouldn't go down that road if I were you just now.

I didn't "jab" anyone... The comment I made was alluding to the rediculousness of the whole WD40 debate.. What do I care what you use to clean your potentiometer contacts with? You use WHATEVER WORKS... DUHH!

I'll tell you something else that WD40 is excellent for.. Removing SPRAY PAINT from equipment that others have "restored".. WD40 has just the right amount of solvency to remove the spraypaint without adversely effecting the plastic.. SPray it on.. Let it sit for about 10 minutes.. wipe off the paint.. rinse & repeat until you get perfectly clean plastic..

The only thing I ever was SERIOUS about was when people started telling others to use it in disk drives.. Specifically, on the spindle bearings.. Other than that, I dont see a damn thing wrong with using it for a range of purposes (cleaning contacts, freeing sticky parts in small mechanical assemblies, etc.) As i have stated before, there are MORE SPECIFICALLY DESIGNED products available for just about any aplication where electronics are concerned and I typically CHOOSE to use those..

So Ken jabs you good in another thread and you come back here to fight me over a supposed insult I made? I finally have some traction now? All I really wanted in the first place, but still not interested in that. Crap cut.

Invisible oil? I really, really wouldn't go down that road if I were you just now.

Whatever you say boss, sorry but gotta run, have other more useful things to do..... :)

• Like 1

Not to start up this argument again, but i just wanted to report my status as i said i would after applying the wd40 that i used early last week.

So far, im happy to report that my Atari's color issue seems to be resolved. I will definitely purchase some contact cleaner the next time i pass by a radio shack, but right now i can see colors again so im very happy :)

• Like 2

I will definitely purchase some contact cleaner the next time i pass by a radio shack, but right now i can see colors again so im very happy :)

Just wanted to let you know- there are a number of formulations of contact cleaner, not all of them play nice with plastic. I'm guessing anything from the Shack would be ok, but it wouldn't hurt to check the label.

Boy, do Radio Shacks vary in what they carry. The last couple I saw had NOTHING in the things that you think of, in terms of classic Radio Shack. They were glorified cellphone kiosks, with a few pieces of really-overpriced PC accessories (nothing too deep here; we're talking USB extension cables and such) and some overpriced electronics, and not a very wide selection.

I haven't seen the type with little packets of what-have-you hanging on the wall in a LONG TIME. Next time, I'll think to ask for some contact cleaner. Now I'm wondering if they have that kind of stuff behind the counter. I never asked.

Every recent year they make a Yahoo (or whoever) "list of companies expected to disappear next year" but they seem to hang on. They're not the same as when they had TV tube testers in the lobby, however!

• Like 1

I haven't seen the type with little packets of what-have-you hanging on the wall in a LONG TIME. Next time, I'll think to ask for some contact cleaner. Now I'm wondering if they have that kind of stuff behind the counter. I never asked.

They have moved that stuff into wide red drawers in a waist high grey bench you can see over. I can't think of why other than a 'new' look or maybe they lost too much stuff to shoplifting the other way? But I fail to see why the bench would help there at all.

• 5 years later...

Thought I would comment here. I have a mint 800XL I pulled out of storage. Works fine but the color is very flaky. Screen changes colors from blue to pink to green when I move the unit, get more stable as it warms up. I opened it up trying to see if I can find something that might be causing it, I resat all the socketted chips, etc. As I was pushing down on the chips and feeling if they were warm the screen went nuts with a rainbow of colors! Checked ANTIC and GTIA, then I discover it's the color pot that is very flaky. If I touch it while on the screen goes nuts with all kinds of colors. Tried to clean it with elec cleaner, no change. Moved it back and forth several times,and it seems ok but still extremely sensative to touch. Do these go bad? Should I replace it? Ordered a part, hope it fits ok.

https://www.westfloridacomponents.com/P084PE08/500K+ohm+Trimmer+Potentiometer+Iskra+Trimpot+IPLE-V.html

Tried to clean it with elec cleaner, no change. Moved it back and forth several times,and it seems ok but still extremely sensative to touch. Do these go bad? Should I replace it? Ordered a part, hope it fits ok.

Cleaning is done with movement while wet only.

Sounds like you are doing it dry possibly.

They always were quite touchy and very hard to

put much of a fine tuning upon them.

Yes they go bad and need replacing.

I was having problems with the color adj pot on an 800XL recently. I cleaned it well, 4 or 5 different times.

It'd work for a while and then go back to black and white, or all green, etc. The pot also seemed very touchy and

sensitive to the slightest movement, flickering, etc.

But then I thought, maybe if I can make the contact a little better/tighter it might help. So I took a screwdriver

and pushed the two metal tabs (holding the circular adjustment piece) down and outward, just hard enough to create

some good, solid pressure against the adjuster. And after cleaning a little more, the problem went away.

I've been using it for months now with no problems at all. So in my estimation, some of these get loosened up

over time, just enough that cleaning alone won't solve the problem.

post-6369-0-51489200-1521228889_thumb.png

• Like 3