IGNORED

L@@K **SUPER** ULTRA RARE! : Special Ed Gorf CD on Ebay

LinkoVitch

Do we really know how "SUPER ULTRA RARE" this game is.

Obviously only 50 of the SE edition but how many copies of GORF actually were sold before sales were shut down (SE or otherwise). Unless the SE edition is more common than the regular release which is doubtful, there are well over 100 and probably over 150.

Now I have no idea about sales on new releases like ImpulseX or Kobayashi Maru, but I do know Blackout had a total CD/Cart sales of 110. Does this make Blackout "SUPER DUPER ULTRA RARE" and worth more than GORF in 5 - 10 years? Yes I know Blackout was also released as a free download but people are not paying $600 to play GORF, they want to add it to thier collection.

I totally admit I want a copy of GORF too and I bid $350.00 on Sauron's GORF. I made the bid with plans on playing the game, but after thinking about it, I doubt I would actually play it much. I would be afraid to ruin a big investment (At least it would be for me).

Maybe someone wants to make an even trade for my copy of Blackout. LOL :D

:)

The forum subject is a bit of a tongue in cheek title :) The white copies are AFAIK more rare than the blue case versions as there were only ever 50 of these made and they sold out quite quickly IIRC. I think both sold for the same price and it was a 1st come 1st served kind of thing. No idea how many copies of Gorf (SE or regular) were released.

• Like 1

$340 and over 9 days to go... wow, collectors surprise me every time! That's already about 10x what it was originally sold for.

Now I have no idea about sales on new releases like ImpulseX or Kobayashi Maru, but I do know Blackout had a total CD/Cart sales of 110.

Impulse X has done exceptionally well for a CD game, I wouldn't be surprised to hear it's shipped well over 150 copies by now. Even KM:F (which has shipped well over 100 copies now) added to the original small/cheap release of KM the year before at ejagfest, woudn't match the sales of Impulse X I don't reckon. But I'm only guessing based on people I know, what I saw at ejagfest, the numbers sold via resellers, etc. etc.).

Where did you get the 110 for Blackout from? That's more than I remember.

• Like 1

$340 and over 9 days to go... wow, collectors surprise me every time! That's already about 10x what it was originally sold for.

Impulse X has done exceptionally well for a CD game, I wouldn't be surprised to hear it's shipped well over 150 copies by now. Even KM:F (which has shipped well over 100 copies now) added to the original small/cheap release of KM the year before at ejagfest, woudn't match the sales of Impulse X I don't reckon. But I'm only guessing based on people I know, what I saw at ejagfest, the numbers sold via resellers, etc. etc.).

Where did you get the 110 for Blackout from? That's more than I remember.

You are correct, I am too high on my figures. It is even smaller than I remembered. Blackout had 3 small releases, 23 CDs, then 38 carts, then 21 CDs for a total of 82 CDs and carts released.

Based on your estimate of sales for ImpluseX and KM:F there could be as many GORF CDs, if not more, around than either of these titles. And I am sure there are others I did not even mention that have less copies around.

My point I was really trying to make was that GORF is not really as rare as it is made out to be.

Blackout had 3 small releases, 23 CDs, then 38 carts, then 21 CDs for a total of 82 CDs and carts released.

I'm sure it was a cart first and there were either 37 or 38 CDs thinking back, so those cart & CD numbers are probably switched, but the total should be close if not exact. The CDs were sold on eBay after the carts that were sold via the site, right?

Based on your estimate of sales for ImpluseX and KM:F there could be as many GORF CDs, if not more, around than either of these titles. And I am sure there are others I did not even mention that have less copies around.

My point I was really trying to make was that GORF is not really as rare as it is made out to be.

Not rare as such, but it had a lot of talk surrounding it for all kinds of reasons and therefore became more desirable for those who don't have in in their collections.

I got the idea, reading old threads, that Gorf sold really well. Then the sale had to stop, so right from the off there was a demand for something that couldn't be supplied and the inevitable happened. A Jaguar CD release was a big deal back then and being such a recognisable retro game I think a lot of the non-Jaguar regulars probably picked it up as well (or at least there were many names in the threads I'd not associate with the Jaguar forum). Maybe there are a few people out there who have it sat in a box not knowing what they could trade it in for ;-)

Don´t want to speak for Matthias here but from the numbers he told us it is well below 150 sold copies, it may just be the size of the Jag market these days. The more irritating thing is that there are only a couple of Highscore entries ( if you delete the double ones). That lead me to the conclusion people are really not that much into playing the games, its more about the collecting, which is fine really, but doesn´t look to good for "bigger" projects. Why should someone spend a lot of time in gameplay/gfx etc when in the end it goes straight to the trophy board of other jag games.

Don´t want to speak for Matthias here but from the numbers he told us it is well below 150 sold copies, it may just be the size of the Jag market these days. The more irritating thing is that there are only a couple of Highscore entries ( if you delete the double ones). That lead me to the conclusion people are really not that much into playing the games, its more about the collecting, which is fine really, but doesn´t look to good for "bigger" projects. Why should someone spend a lot of time in gameplay/gfx etc when in the end it goes straight to the trophy board of other jag games.

I'd imagine (hope), that it's mostly just the modern culture. People are used to consoles uploading their scores etc etc auto magically. I'd imagine the majority have played their copies, but just haven't bothered uploading scores. If the Jag was online and did it for you I imagine you would have a great many more entries in the online table.

I'd also like to think that the Jag community will grow a little more over time, hopefully the increasing title count and activity will attract more people to it. I doubt huge numbers, but more.

• Like 5

Sorry, was just a guess really :-)

As for the high score thing - to some extent yes, but don't be too quick - that's just how people are. If they can save to their MT carts with CD games or to the flash on a cart they're all good. It's difficult to motivate people to write the codes down, get off their arses and move over to a PC and enter the code into the site, that's why we looked at streamlining the process with QR codes back when we were designing SFDX in 2010, in the end there wasn't enough time to work it all out, but it would have been nice to zap the screen with your phone and have the score end up in the chart with just a tap or two on the screen.

I was mentioning this to Matthias recently - that's why we have a few competitions with real prizes as a little incentive to motivate people. Still, there were only 64 entries on the KM:F table.

Probably there are some people who prefer to collect and display rather than play, and then there are definitely some people who would buy absolutely anything if it was put onto a cartridge to to be complete. But there are a lot of Jaguar fans who play quite a bit, for sure. Giving people the option to download the games as well gets them out even further to the emulator players & helps attract one or two more to the scene.

Another World has gone past 200 pre-orders already. A big game on cart will sell quite well. Maybe not as well as on other retro systems, but 200 is a good number considering they will have to wait months before seeing the game. If it was on general sale who knows how well it'd do?

Another thing you have to consider is the Jag is all but 20 years old now... those teenagers who loved their Jaguars back in the early 90s are now Daddies and Grand-daddies, they simply don't have the same time or inclination to spend every waking minute thinking about their world-beating 64-bit multimedia powerhouse :lol: So maybe collecting gives them a chance to keep their toe in without having to live it, even if actually playing the games isn't the most important thing to them... and maybe if they're real gamers and not just system zealot/fanboi types they're possibly sat playing on gaming PCs, PS360 or any number of other systems with new games in their limited free time?

Jaguar homebrew sales aren't ever going to be up there with 2600, NeoGeo or Dreamcast, but they don't seem to be dying off either.

I'd imagine (hope), that it's mostly just the modern culture. People are used to consoles uploading their scores etc etc auto magically. I'd imagine the majority have played their copies, but just haven't bothered uploading scores. If the Jag was online and did it for you I imagine you would have a great many more entries in the online table.

I'd also like to think that the Jag community will grow a little more over time, hopefully the increasing title count and activity will attract more people to it. I doubt huge numbers, but more.

The more stuff that gets produced and the less mental the forums are, the more people might be tempted to take a peek. But it's hard to see more than a trickle of new users/devs without something revolutionary taking place (such as a super high level development setup for rapid game making fun)... 20 years has seen an awful lot of newer, better, shinier things that have a greater pull than our oddball kitty :lolblue:

Another thing you have to consider is the Jag is all but 20 years old now... those teenagers who loved their Jaguars back in the early 90s are now Daddies and Grand-daddies, they simply don't have the same time or inclination to spend every waking minute thinking about their world-beating 64-bit multimedia powerhouse :lol: So maybe collecting gives them a chance to keep their toe in without having to live it, even if actually playing the games isn't the most important thing to them... and maybe if they're real gamers and not just system zealot/fanboi types they're possibly sat playing on gaming PCs, PS360 or any number of other systems with new games in their limited free time?

I think you have a good point here. The average Jaguar Fan is most likely well in the 40s (or in the mid to late 30s). So time is very limited. Hmm seems i get a better picture now ;)

Yeah the online leaderboards aren't really that fair a judge of whether people are playing the games. Personally I like playing them and trying to beat my score but am not that fussed about the online leaderboards, especially as my PC isn't in the same room as the Jaguar and I usually play at night after everyone's gone to bed.

"I'm sure it was a cart first and there were either 37 or 38 CDs thinking back, so those cart & CD numbers are probably switched, but the total should be close if not exact. The CDs were sold on eBay after the carts that were sold via the site, right?"

Can not believe I actually messed it up twice. I had actually gone to the original topic to look up the numbers but screwed up the type of release and got'em all wrong: http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/200126-blackout-released-now/page__hl__%20blackout

So it should be: 23 carts, then 38 cds and 21 Carts..

From the above link #1:

"BLACKOUT! Is officially released and ready for purchase!

For the moment we only have 23 copies available (out of the planned 25 due to bad chips).

If these copies do well, we will do a second release of 25 carts, and then a third larger release for CD. Followed by the free binary release!"

Then on reply #228:

"Posted Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:52 PM

Another short update. we have 21 carts for sale in addition to the 38 copies of the jag CD version.

More than likely we will be posting the CDs on ebay later tonight. The carts still need boxes made at the moment which shouldnt take long."

None of this really matters but wanted to finally give the correct figures even though it took me 3 tries.

• Like 3

Yeah the online leaderboards aren't really that fair a judge of whether people are playing the games. Personally I like playing them and trying to beat my score but am not that fussed about the online leaderboards, especially as my PC isn't in the same room as the Jaguar and I usually play at night after everyone's gone to bed.

I agree with Avery on this. I am so piss poor at most of these games it is almost embarassing to post my scores. For me it is more on trying to beat my previous high.

• Like 3