IGNORED

5200 OE HSC (season 1)

zylon

The games have been selected, though still room for a couple more. The season will run after the regular season 6 and last 10 weeks. The rounds will be one week long and only real hardware allowed. The only non-Atari items allowed are some games(still must be regular releases) and your TV. Pics will be required for 1st place and/or HSC records.

(copied from previous poll thread)
Use this thread to sign up for the (mini-season) OE 5200 HSC.
Only real 5200 consoles and controls allowed and only games from the 5200's time period. No modified or custom anything. Upgraded replacement parts allowed. Can you hack it "old skool" like it was really done? Sign up and pick your top 2 games.

The Willing:

sdamon
Gamer_X (Space Dungeon, QIX)
zylon (Missile Command, Space Invaders)
darthkur (frogger II, Mario Bros)
roadrunner (Pitfall! II, Quintana Roo)
peedenmark7 (Zaxxon, Gyruss )
RangerG (super Breakout, )
tank (Ms. Pacman, Q*bert)
atariron82 (Buck Rogers, Mountain King)
Sonic R (Beamrider, K-razy Shootout)
shadow460 (Kangaroo, Miner 2049'er)
Cafeman (Joust-expert )
Red Tide (Berzerk, Defender)

Edited by zylon

Whoops...the "only real hardware allowed" drops me out. I have a 2600 module for the ColecoVision, but only a couple of actual cartridges.

EDIT: I must have had 2600 on the brain...I meant 5200. I play 2600, 5200 and Intellivision on emulators only as I do not have hardware. I do have the 2600 module for ColecoVision, but I only have three 2600 cartridges. But sadly, no 5200.

Edited by jblenkle

Whoops...the "only real hardware allowed" drops me out. I have a 2600 module for the ColecoVision, but only a couple of actual cartridges.

You can try the harmony cart for the 2600 and the Atarimax SD for Coleco. I have both and they are really great!

As for the 5200, I was thinking if I should get one. But everything I heard about its controller and the fact I would have to import to Brazil a new controller when it's needed or import repair kits etc., made me decide not buying the system.

As long as we don't lose the normal HSC, I like to know you are enjoying the hardware.

It's only sad when you have the 2600, 7800, Colecovision, Intellivision, Nes, Snes, Mega Drive and the Wii and the only system to have an only hardware allowed is the 5200...

This is just something new I'm trying. This is, after all, the 5200 forum and promoting the original system and its' games should be our primary focus. While things have been pretty good here, there has been some backlash against emulation use in other HSC's. I've also favored common games to allow more people to play, but in this mini-HSC, the players will choose all games. So far, it looks like they are digging deep into the library.

• Like 1

You' re doing very well.:-)

Normal HSC is great and hardware only is interesting.

I'm only concerned about leaving the open tourney in favor of hardware only. I played just a few rounds here and I've already seen you letting computer games here and there.

I also have seen bonus points for those playing with the game cartridge.

You really know how to mix things in a good way.

If someday I get the 5200, I'll certainly play here and enjoy the hardware with you all.

• 2 weeks later...

You' re doing very well.:-)

Normal HSC is great and hardware only is interesting.

I'm only concerned about leaving the open tourney in favor of hardware only. I played just a few rounds here and I've already seen you letting computer games here and there.

I also have seen bonus points for those playing with the game cartridge.

You really know how to mix things in a good way.

If someday I get the 5200, I'll certainly play here and enjoy the hardware with you all.

The regular "open" HSC is not closing or changing. The OE mini-season is about keeping the real hardware alive and well. It will also represent a challenge to those who do not use the "real stuff" a lot. My strategy for the regular HSC is inclusion, while the OE season will focus on the system itself with all players on exactly the same level field. The only elements of chance will be the gamer's library and skills.

may I switch my choice of Kangaroo to Space Dungeon?

Yes, you may. :) These choices are what will be in the round polls. Not all will be played, but at least half will.
  • Like 1

I like the concept of using original hardware and controllers. I wish all the HSCs were like that, I feel it makes it more authentic.

I'm trying something new on this. If it works on the 5200, then there's no reason other systems couldn't run one. This inaugural test run will last 10 weeks. I'd still like to see more commons chosen, but it is what it is.

Oh, my I missed this. If there's still time, I'm down for the 20 or 30 games I have. If my 5200 is on, it's either Kangaroo or Miner 2049er (which I rule at), so those are my suggestions.

yes. You may still sign up. Those 2 games are still open for use. This won't start until after round 21 of the regular season, which gives everyone time to source the games they are missing. The basic idea is to pick your best games and duke it out old skool with everyone on the same equipment.

• 2 weeks later...

I will play as much as time allows. If there are any game slots open, I would recommend Joust , but played on the hardest difficulty setting. the other game picks look pretty good.

That brings us to 19 games. Only half will be played as these are just the choices that will be on the polls.

BTW: excellent choice.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

With our extended trial run completed, I'd say the OE HSC has been successful. :)

Moving forward, our regular season is 21 rounds long, using 43 weeks of play. That leaves us 9 weeks in a year. I'm thinking if we run the OE as 5 games, then we'll be able to take a break between seasons.

I'll be putting up a poll for your consideration.

Define "real" controller. Sounds like you could only use the 5200 joysticks or the Trakball...

That is exactly right. :) The focus of these mini-seasons is to play the actual 5200 system as sold. Season 2 will begin in late 2014. Season 1 has already ended and was fun.