IGNORED

Zaxxon for MSX - Two Different Ports

There seems to be not one but two ports of Zaxxon for the MSX computer and its compatibles.

The first one, from circa 1983, is a straight port of the 1982 ColecoVision cartridge port (save for title and option screens).

The second one, from 1985, is another straight port, in this case it's adapted from the Sega SG1000 cartridge version.

I can understand why this occurred, though, since all three platforms (MSX, ColecoVision and SG1000) share the same Texas Instruments (TI) TMS9928A VDP and the Z80 CPU, as well as the TI SN76489 sound chip. But to some of you, it may seem redundant to own either MSX port if you already have the ColecoVision or the Sega SG1000 or SC3000.

~Ben

Edited by ColecoFan1981

Thank you for correcting me on the sound chip. Of course, that explains why the sound effects in the first MSX Zaxxon port sound a bit different from the ColecoVision port it was adapted from.

I'm wondering if anyone could make a decent longplay of this port (I'm talking about the 1st MSX port, not the 2nd one that was adapted from the SG1000 port), and to actually shoot Zaxxon you need to shoot at his right side (it's best to do it while you fly at an altitude around 2.5), AND while the missile is still attached. You will not get the 5000-point bonus if you shoot the missile after it releases itself from Zaxxon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ci3ufScKx8g

(This video by Daniel Bienvenu aka newcoleco shows you the trick to destroying Zaxxon--and please note this is the ColecoVision port)

~Ben

Edited by ColecoFan1981

• 2 weeks later...