IGNORED

Would you support a crowd funded, brand new, Atari 2600 console?

Dr Manhattan

Would you support a crowd funded new Atari 2600?  

111 members have voted

1. 1. Would you support a kickstarter backed Atari 2600 console?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. How much would you contribute?

• $5-$10
    • $10-$25
    • $25-$50
    • $50-$100
    • $100-$500
    • $500-$1000
    • $1000 or More

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

This is a topic that has been lingering in my mind for a couple of weeks. And since I'm always the inquisitive type I need to post this question.

Would you support a crowd funded, brand new, Atari 2600 console?

I know this forum has shown a mixed reaction towards products like the Atari Flashback. At the same time the popularity of that device, along with other "modern retro consoles" like the Hyperkin RN3, proves there is a healthy interest in classic hardware.

So let's just say for the sake of discussion that a motivated invidual on this forum is going to produce a new Atari 2600 console. He or she is going to create this console using direct input from the Atari Age community. Everyone here will get to voice their opinion. And the console will be funded through kickstarter backing. Would you fund this project?

Also, do we simply produce a modern 2600 clone or do we make improvements on the original design? And if you're in favor of improvements, what kind would you make? Internal, external, cosmetic, AV related? Do you upgrade the hardware itself, making the system more powerful? What about features like SD card support, wireless controllers, HDMI ports, etc?

Does the system mimic the style of the original woodgrain or do we go for something totally modern and completely different?

And here's the "million dollar question." How much do you think a project like this might cost? I know that some of you might be able to give a very informed answer to this question as you've had experience with production and manufacturing.

And what is the legality here? Are we covered by the same laws that allow the production of console on a chip systems?

One last thing, I must say this entire topic is inspired by some of the replies I received in my "Let's buy Atari" topic. I loved reading your replies. As a community, Atari Age is one of the most interesting forums on the web. So thanks for humoring me when I post topics like this one. I look forward to reading your replies.

They need to do a clone for the Atari 2600 console. Or better yet, the 7800, since it's backwards compatible. They've already got a NES/SNES/Genesis consoles, why not make one for Atari? The 6502 is well documented and the TIA should be no more difficult to reverse engineer than the NOAC. I don't care if the Atari VCS/2600 is synonymous with junk in the public's eye. The flashback II used a hardware based AOAC so we know that at some point, somewhere in China, the blueprints for a clone chip existed. All we need is for a clone manufacturer to get a hold of it and produce a Retron 4. The Retron 4 could likely add a fourth cartridge port for the Atari and share the connector plugs with the Genesis.

Edited by stardust4ever
  • Like 1

I might support a crowd funded console but it depends on it's features.

I would prefer improvements on the original design because you can still easily acquire the originals. With the Flashbacks they already did the the Woodie and 7800 look. I would like to see a new Vader model. I would like it to look like a Vader with a Heavy Sixer bottom. I would like all the paint like the words and bezel edge to be red. I would also like it to have the six switches but they would be red and light up when powered on. It would look like a Heavy Sixer Vader with red. It would get the nickname "Darth Maul".

It would have a Harmony Cart built in with the SD slot directly behind the cartridge connector. It would have RF, composite, s-video, component, and HDMI. There would be hardware inside that does the scaling so it can function on flat panels without lag. It would have the speaker mod and in between the speakers and the grills would be more red LEDs that blink with the sound. Even though it would have the six switches it would still have the two difficulty switches in the back that the four switch models had for difficulty but one would be used to turn off the speakers and one would be used to turn off the blinking LEDs. There would be a head phone jack. There would be a flat knob on the side of the bezel area to control the volume of the speakers and head phones. It would have the pause mod. It would have the standard controllers but internally they would be designed better. When you turn it on it would do the"Have you played Atari today?" jingle.

Something like that would be my dream 2600. I'm sure it would be very expensive but I would probably still buy it.

• Like 4

I would buy one absolutely. I do love my original hardware, but my gamer side conflicts with my collector side every time I flip the switch on my VCS, SEGACD32X, Saturn, etc. It is nice to be able to play my NES titles on the clone and spare the wear and tear on my toaster.

I would love an all in one Atari 2600, 5200, and 7800. Pack it in with some cheap universal controllers and sign me up.

I do wish the makers of clones would start putting hdmi in them... I know it would add to the price, but these older system clones really need some kind of upscaler built in since modern tvs typically start at 480i and go up.

• Like 2

It makes it future-proof.

No such thing.

My only reservation is how much support there would be for something like this in the general public consciousness. I'm not ready to say that the sales of clones and Flashback consoles indicates a strong, healthy interest as much as a brief flirtation with nostalgia. Would love to see it happen, though.

Given the numbers of the product that'd sell (low 1000s) it'd be too expensive for a custom ASIC containing a 6507, TIA and RIOT so you'd need a high gate count FPGA. FPGAs of the complexity needed aren't cheap in low quantity so you'd be looking to pay $100+ for a physical product. Contribution values less than that would get you tees, mugs and posters in my opinion. An emulated hardware solution would be cheaper but then you have to compete with the Flashback 4 on price.

Check out these related threads to read a lot of ideas about a new Atari 2600 or Atari 7800 clone:

Would a New Atari 2600 Clone Project Be Possible?

Maria Chip Has Been Resythensized...

Some people thought that a console using the Stella emulator (the Stellacon) might be our only hope to get a modern Atari 2600 console. Below are a few related posts:

http://www.atariage....75#entry1862607

http://www.atariage....75#entry1862795

http://www.atariage....75#entry1863188

http://www.atariage....00#entry1863199

The info in the thread below probably wouldn't apply to the Stellacon since custom hardware would eliminate the problem:

Stella Input Response vs. Real - Measured

• Like 1

I was a NO vote and yes there should be a $0 in pole for that.

not that I would not buy one if available but a kickstarter deal no.

Aas has been seen with these if it is successful in funding suddenly there are delays and the ship dates are constantly pushed more and more in the future .

Is it all of them no of course not but seen it alot.

• Like 2

It's also easy enough to find an A/V modded one, if you want to spend a little extra.

I bought one of those and the unreplaceable sound chip died not too long after I got it. Over 150 bucks down the drain:

www.atariage.com/forums/topic/115922-ordered-an-atari-2600-today-with-s-video-modification-got-it/

I'd like a new Atari 2600 clone of some kind, even if it's just the Stellacon. Hopefully it will be easier to fix if anything goes wrong with it and it might have goodies that the old Atari 2600 doesn't have such as a pause button, different ways to hook it up to old TVs and new HD TVs, and maybe more controller jacks so we can have joysticks and paddles plugged at the same time:

I'd love this new Atari 2600 clone to have more controller jacks (at least 4). You could have two joysticks and two sets of paddles plugged in at the same time. It would probably have some kind of switch that users would flip to tell the Atari 2600 clone which jacks to use. No more plugging and unplugging controller cables! Just pop in a game, flip the controller switch to the correct setting, turn on the Atari 2600 clone and start playing.
  • Like 1

I understand that a lot of emulators nowadays have this function but to me the most important addition to any classic console to me would be "online play". A lot of my friends have moved away and/or its just too hard to get together to play games so I think if we had the option to play a round or two of warlords from afar whenever we wanted that would be just fantabulous!! :)

• Like 1

Only problem is that would require reprogramming every game to play online. Tunneling games that were designed for lan like Halo and Mario Kart DDis one thing, but Atari Space Invaders might actually be trickier. I guess MAME or some variation supports it yes? Not sure about that.

Maybe supporting unmodded Sega pads would be nice for 7800/5200 games and it could have some decent autofire pack ins.

I think a modernized 2600 reproduction would be pretty cool. It would be very similar in function and hardware to the Flashback 2 + Harmony Cart mods. Definitely AOAC and not emulation. HDMI and Composite video. Full-size 6 switch woodgrain case. The ability to play either the Harmony Cart/SD Card built-in or by plugging in a 2600 cart.

Of course, this is all possible now minus he HDMI. Replace the guts of a dead 6-switch with the guts of a Flashback 2, running the new board to all of the old switches and ports. Buy a Harmony Cart. Play from SD or use original 2600 carts. It would be nice for lazy people people like myself to be able to buy one and not have to make one, though :D

Even though I would probably buy one of these, I would not fund a Kickstarter for it. All of the things I have funded through Kickstarter have never materialized, so that means if I'm interested in something it isn't a good Kickstarter project. Even if only for superstitious reasons, this project will have a higher chance of success if I *don't* fund it.

Edited by akator