IGNORED

Marketing Adventure by Rob Fulop

I knew I had it somewhere!

OK, not a stunning piece of software but still a lost Atari prototype: http://www.atarimania.com/game-atari-400-800-xl-xe-marketing-adventure_3156.html

On the disk are three other adventures that eventually made it as APX titles. Maybe there was some sort of veto against the release of Marketing Adventure?

It seems the compilation was assembled by someone at Atari and the games are pre-production copies. The format is pretty odd as well...

--

Atari Frog

http://www.atarimania.com

• 3 weeks later...

R u kidding me? What do i need to do to run this? I remember goofing off with a text adventure engine on the Atari 800 over a long weekend and some teasing reference to Dennis Koble's office being littered with racing forms since he sometimes went to the race track at lunch time.

So funny ... Can't wait to play it ... How do I do that?

speaking if lost games, there was about four months after finishing missile command before I was awarded the turkey bonus. During that time I developed an original 2600 game, it was a planetary fly-over pseudo first person display .... Sort of like missile command from perspective of the bombers. Player would fire shots that would drop on the planet they were flying over ... Trying to take out the cities that sometimes fired back at you. The game was focus tested and didn't do that well. I was in the middle of improving it when I was approached to be a founder of Imagic. Was advised strongly to take nothing with me so sadly I don't have the game in EPROM form, or even a source listing. The assembly code was probably archived somewhere ... I don't even remember the working name .... Maybe "Death From Above 3" ... But I'm not really sure. Finished game existed though ... 4k EPROMs were used for focus tests. Circa 1980-81 perhaps,

• Like 5

R u kidding me? What do i need to do to run this? I remember goofing off with a text adventure engine on the Atari 800 over a long weekend and some teasing reference to Dennis Koble's office being littered with racing forms since he sometimes went to the race track at lunch time.

So funny ... Can't wait to play it ... How do I do that?

Rob,

You can download it from the link above and unzip the .atr file. There are a number of Atari 800 emulators out there that you can load it into and play.

Wow. Since you wrote Night Driver on the 2600 among others, I would like to tell you that I used to ride a motorcycle in Los Angeles and did a lot of lane splitting. When people would ask me what it was like I would tell them that "it was exactly like Night Driver." Younger kids didn't get it, but when I told someone my age they got it and it was worth a laugh. No more explanation needed. I can't wait to tell my 70 year old Dad that I just posted a reply to the the guy who wrote something we spent countless hours playing so many years ago. Thanks!

Edited by idavis

speaking if lost games, there was about four months after finishing missile command before I was awarded the turkey bonus. During that time I developed an original 2600 game, it was a planetary fly-over pseudo first person display .... Sort of like missile command from perspective of the bombers. Player would fire shots that would drop on the planet they were flying over ... Trying to take out the cities that sometimes fired back at you. The game was focus tested and didn't do that well. I was in the middle of improving it when I was approached to be a founder of Imagic. Was advised strongly to take nothing with me so sadly I don't have the game in EPROM form, or even a source listing. The assembly code was probably archived somewhere ... I don't even remember the working name .... Maybe "Death From Above 3" ... But I'm not really sure. Finished game existed though ... 4k EPROMs were used for focus tests. Circa 1980-81 perhaps,

Interesting. Sounds like the game was similar to Xevious or Espial but from the first-person perspective.

Was the game viewed from behind your ship (like Solaris) or was it from the cockpit (as in The Earth Dies Screaming)?

http://atari800.sourceforge.net/

http://www.atariage.com/5200/emulation/atari800_tutorial/

http://atariarea.krap.pl/PLus/index_us.htm

http://www.atarimac.com/atari800macx.php

http://users.uoa.gr/~knakos/atari800/android/

Some places to find versions and a tutorial.

Yet another long lost 2600 game I'd love to see :) This sounds right it's right up there with mission omega as a game I'd love to try! I love Robs' games.

• 2 weeks later...

So has anyone made it anywhere on these? I have been playing the Marketing Adventure and seem to be stuck. I have the blue card but can't use it to get up the elevator, in the arcade or up the stairs in the other building where the right dress code is required. I really don't want to cheat by looking at source code but seem to be at a standstill. Just wondering if anyone else has given them a try and also curious if they are complete?

So has anyone made it anywhere on these? I have been playing the Marketing Adventure and seem to be stuck. I have the blue card but can't use it to get up the elevator, in the arcade or up the stairs in the other building where the right dress code is required. I really don't want to cheat by looking at source code but seem to be at a standstill. Just wondering if anyone else has given them a try and also curious if they are complete?

great, I will give a try... it would eb great to have written down the solutions.

Are you serious loool. I may have to try this out. That's great. Good stuff.

Edited by TheNameOfTheGame

Hello Atari Frog

Maybe there was some sort of veto against the release of Marketing Adventure?

A guy who used to log in here as luckybuck was here last Tuesday. He's been doing a lot of research into old software. You won't believe how much software that was finished (including the box and everything you'ld find in it) never left the Atari Warehouses.

We put "Graph It!" (CX4109) on disk (loaded from cassette). If nothing goes wrong, we'll have it on Mac/PC after the NOMAM meeting in two weeks.

BTW luckybuck also found "Atari Calculator" (CX8102).

Sincerely

Mathy

• 4 years later...