IGNORED

Atari STE needs to "warm up" first

Atari8guy

Hi All,

I'm hoping someone has experienced this before and its a really easy fix. I pulled my STe out of the closet today and it requires considerable time to "warm up" for a lack of a better word.

It does the following, in fairly consistent fashion:

1) Upon powering up, I get a black screen.

2) After 60-120 secs I get a white screen.

3) After 5-7 mins it finally boots to my Ultra-Satan, or from floppy.

Sometimes after step 2 I get 4 bombs for a bit before I get full boot up.

Once it appears to be warm however it seems to reboot without issue.

The system has 4MB Ram (which tests okay when it gets there) and an Adspeed card in it.

Thoughts and/or suggestions....any help appreciated.

Very likely your PSU needs replacement capacitors.

You can order them from maplin, and you can do this yourself if you know how to solder, but you've got to be careful not to electrocute yourself. The capacitors can hold a mains voltage type charge so dont touch any of the contacts when removing them - even after you've removed them.

Here's a quick kit (top of list):-

http://exxos.www.idnet.com/IMPULSE/atari/last/store.htm

You can discharge them whilst they are still on the PCB using something metal (this will create a large spark as it instantly dissipates) - but don't be touching the metal when you do it, you need to be isolated from whatever you use to short the contacts. A better way is with something like a 1 mega ohm resistor for 5 mins or something - that drains them slowily.

Again - DO NOT ELECTROCUTE YOURSELF. Remove power lead from the ST before you start, switch power on then (with no power lead - this drains some of the caps.) Then remove the PSU and be carefull what you touch - contact with any of the solder points or components could result in shock,

PSU's are also on EBAY. Alternatively, if you are in the UK I could do this for you.

Edit: Electrolytic capacitors go one way around, make sure the dashed side goes to the - on the board. Pay attension when removing them as to which way they are fitted.

Edited by GadgetUK

Just wanted to post an update here. I re-capped my STe and STFM on Monday and I found that the list of caps in that 'kit' didn't correspond to the caps on either of my PSU's. Instead of 47uF 350 / 400v caps I had 2 x33uF in each PSU and the physical size you need to consider - whilst my 47uF replacements fitted the PCB they were 1cm too high so I ended up putting the 33uF's back in after checking them with my capacitance meter - they were both OK in my case, measuring 35uF each.

I also counted 3 x 330uF caps (25v I think) in each PSU - not mentioned in that cap kit. Mine all measured 330uF so didnt need to replace. I did replace the 2200uF cap in each PSU with 4700uF.

Iv'e had a slighter rippling on video of the STe for first 3 mins until warmed, I had expected caps in the PSU to be causing this but apparently not... When I get chance I will swap the 2 PSU's around just to rule the PSU out entirely. I suspect it could be a dodgy bridge on my STe causing those ripples, or it could be other caps related to video out - STe seem to have tonnes of caps on the mobo.

In your case the crashes etc are likely PSU related as your first port of call. You may have video issues related to warm up to deal with seperately later - like mine.

Just wanted to post an update here. I re-capped my STe and STFM on Monday and I found that the list of caps in that 'kit' didn't correspond to the caps on either of my PSU's. Instead of 47uF 350 / 400v caps I had 2 x33uF in each PSU and the physical size you need to consider - whilst my 47uF replacements fitted the PCB they were 1cm too high so I ended up putting the 33uF's back in after checking them with my capacitance meter - they were both OK in my case, measuring 35uF each.

I want to change capacitors in my power supply too. And I have found there is several types of power supplies from several vendors. I have found four different supplies in my and friend's STs.

Here is a table of capacitors I made. It is the 1st version, I have to work on it.

caps.zip

Excellent, glad you've sorted it! It won't be difficult to remove the caps and replace them. Just do what you've said and examine them first, make notes as to the voltage and uF rating, and the way they are around on the PCB (+ and -) - if you note all that down you could remove them all and take them to radio shack or somewhere like that where they can match up replacement parts for you. If you can get low ESR capacitors that's great as they may last a lot longer, but to be honest i've always just swapped them out for normal ones - provided they are higher voltage rating or higher temperature rating they will last for years and years. I did one for a friend 15 years ago, he still doesn't need new caps yet!

I think its the heat sinks, and general load on the low voltage lines. I always use 105 degree caps. I am not an expert on PSU's so I am not sure if there's an inherent design flaw there or not, but switch mode PSU's always hammer the balast caps.

I've just fixed a dehumidier 12v PSU - same problem, 2 x 220uF balast caps burnt out through the switching - 12v line measured 4v.

Edited by GadgetUK

gently press down on mmu & glue

Hahahaha, I love it when someone doesnt read the whole thread!! I think this is a suggestion to fix the original problem which was the PSU, but yes its always worth making sure socketed chips are in properly. If the MMU and Glue isnt socketed you would need the chip resoldering.