IGNORED

Collecting for the VIC 20

simbalion

How many carts released on Vic? They do look terrible wide.

You need to remember that chips where quite large back then, and the cartridge port was how you expanded the VIC 20. This is the insides of a Super Expander, it only contains a 4K ROM that extends BASIC and 3K of RAM:

post-3056-0-85988300-1363890410_thumb.jpg

This is a 24K RAM cartridge that I used to have back in the day, you can see it's quite a bit deeper than the normal VIC cartridge. I no longer have it so can't open it to show the insides.

post-3056-0-42008500-1363890748_thumb.jpg

I find Super Expander terribly common, so you might just be in a dry spell at the moment and see those high prices.

When it comes to the width of the fingers, I'm not sure if more narrow fingers were more expensive or if Commodore made the cartridges rather wide to look impressive. I know that Atari 400/800 cartridges have more narrow fingers. I never looked at 2600, TI-99 etc to name a few. I figure wide cartridges don't have to protrude as far out from the computer although you see the 24K expansion above that has both width and depth.

As for additional hardware, there were B&W 40/80 column cartridges for the VIC-20 but those have their own video output so the logic screen is redirected to use that hardware. I'm not sure how e.g. sprite hardware could interface with the VIC-I chip inside the computer, probably not at all. Certainly you might be able to interface some different chip, but then you might need to plug in a video cable into the cartridge to play that game.

I got my Vic-20 new. I did not know about all the multi-carts. They sound impressive.

One thing has always made me question. Was the Cardaptor ever released for the Vic-20?

Always thought it would be cool to play 2600 games on the Vic!

It was released in what must have been limited quantities, so it will be exceptionally difficult to get one. I think I've seen just one on eBay over many years, and it sold for quite a bit, obviously...

Unless you are already on the list, "soon" isn't happening. ;-)

desiv

Yeah, I hear its almost a year to get one after paying. I fellow collector and friend just got his a month ago. Pretty nice piece and well made and packaged.

Yeah, I hear its almost a year to get one after paying. I fellow collector and friend just got his a month ago. Pretty nice piece and well made and packaged.

You don't have to pay to get on the list. You have to get on the list and wait the year. Then, shortly before yours is ready, you'll get an email to pay.

I got my Vic-20 new. I did not know about all the multi-carts. They sound impressive.

One thing has always made me question. Was the Cardaptor ever released for the Vic-20?

Always thought it would be cool to play 2600 games on the Vic!

I believe that device was 100% vaporware.

Adverts were run but I believe not a single device was ever sold. Never even seen any prototypes.

• 1 year later...

I didn't get mine from Hungary. Did you get one? Did you get the sheet that came with yours? The loading is mentioned on the sheet. I haven't even put the programs on SD yet and unfortunately I don't have a VHS to make the recordings.

If you don't have the sheet, I would have to check with the person who supplied it to make sure this wasn't a 'perk' of the purchase and to see if he does not mind me sharing it.

I said I've yet to try loading programs on to an SD yet. And yes, if you take my word for it, it really is a SD2IEC :D Why are you so adamant about knowing? Just curious. You haven't answered any of my previous questions.

I'm sensing your are doing some investigating, but I'm curious as to why.

your previous question. Really i don't know what you talking about "sheet" ? You said, be sure it was not "perk" ? I still don't know what you talk about ? Yes, I am "investigating" as you said. Because I am thinking about to buy SD2IEC device from Hungary BUT where did you brought it from where and who ? On eBay ?

If you are interested in purchasing one, I would recommend this guy here.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/C64c-Style-SD2IEC-Commodore-1541-Disk-Drive-Emulator-SD-Card-Reader-C64-C128-VIC-/330917399751?pt=UK_VintageComputing_RL&hash=item4d0c36ccc7

Click seller's other items for different options.

As for me supplying a video on youtube, if you search the item " SD2IEC " on youtube :D there are hundreds others who have already supplied a video. (C-64 & Vic-20 )

Good luck with your decision.

I just got a VIC 20 from a garage sale the other day. You aren't kidding about the RF box, that thing makes A LOT of static. Curious what kind of adjustments you made to make the picture clearer. However, I will probably just get an AV cable and save myself the headache.

I took the top off my RF box and there is one coil in there with a blue adjuster that can take either a small phillips type end or small flat blade. If I can get to it tomorrow, I'll try and get a picture. That is the one I adjust to get mine back in line. I am wondering if the little power capacitors in these boxes are just going bad from age.