IGNORED

What about porting arcade games released after the crash?

opcode

There was talk about doing some of the games Coleco and other companies promised, but never delivered for the ColecoVision, but now that it's been shown with the SGM that ADAM games can be ported to the ColecoVision, how about some of the ADAM vaporwear titles. A lot of the names escape me now, but I was terribly upset that Super Gorf never saw the light of day. I believe there was supposed to be a Super Turbo, as well. A title named Gruds in Space also pops into my mind, although that may have been a graphic text adventure type game. I know it was produced for other systems, but I never have seen it. I just remember seeing the title in a Montgomery Wards or JC Penney catalog.

Yeah, that's right. That's what I meant. :)

I would agree with you about taking the CV out of its confort zone if we were talking about a commercially viable machine, but the CV was put to rest commercially a couple of decades ago. Any new CV game is done firmly in the realm of homebrew development. This implies development cycles stretched out over many months (sometimes years) of free time devoted to the hobby without any solid salary attached to it. Under those conditions, staying within the comfort zone isn't a bad thing by any means.

ColecoVision fans want new games, and generally, they don't mind waiting for them, especially the really good ones. So I have to maintain my point: There are already many pre-crash titles that deserve to be released on the CV, many of which can be programmed/ported in reasonable time frames. For home ports of post-crash arcade games, I'll just get myself an NES.

What game would take longer to port, DK or Arkanoid (1981 x 1986)? DK is more complicate I can tell you. What about Pole Position vs Commando (1982 x 1985)? Pole Position is way more complicate. Development cycles are not necessarily tied to release date of a game. Besides, game code doesn't increase linearly with year of manufacturing. Most games using 8 bits CPUs, even late 80s games, usually don't get beyond 32KB of code. Which increases linearly with year is data size, as stages get longer and more visually complex.

I bet that porting a game like Moon Patrol would take longer than porting 1942 or Commando. 1942 in fact should be easier than DK.

What game would take longer to port, DK or Arkanoid (1981 x 1986)? DK is more complicate I can tell you. What about Pole Position vs Commando (1982 x 1985)? Pole Position is way more complicate. Development cycles are not necessarily tied to release date of a game. Besides, game code doesn't increase linearly with year of manufacturing. Most games using 8 bits CPUs, even late 80s games, usually don't get beyond 32KB of code. Which increases linearly with year is data size, as stages get longer and more visually complex.

I bet that porting a game like Moon Patrol would take longer than porting 1942 or Commando. 1942 in fact should be easier than DK.

So I guess my earlier comment about taking it case-by-case applies to pre-crash games as well. So we agree even though we disagree! LOL! :D

There was talk about doing some of the games Coleco and other companies promised, but never delivered for the ColecoVision, but now that it's been shown with the SGM that ADAM games can be ported to the ColecoVision, how about some of the ADAM vaporwear titles. A lot of the names escape me now, but I was terribly upset that Super Gorf never saw the light of day. I believe there was supposed to be a Super Turbo, as well. A title named Gruds in Space also pops into my mind, although that may have been a graphic text adventure type game. I know it was produced for other systems, but I never have seen it. I just remember seeing the title in a Montgomery Wards or JC Penney catalog.

The ADAM has it's own ROMs and OS. Anything that requires the ADAM's OS might require quite a bit of work to port.

Super Zaxxon and Dragon's Lair have already been done by Team Pixelboy so ADAM to CV is possible. I'm not really suggesting porting other titles, I'm suggesting doing some of the vaporware titles that were planned, but never produced. They would have to be programmed from scratch, although I imagine some of it could be pulled from the cartridge versions. A Super Gorf game, for example, would utilize the SGM's extended capabilities. Maybe even voice like the arcade game. If I recall correctly, Super Gorf was to have had several extra screens over the cartridge version, as well as a Hall of Fame. It would just be cool to see these games Coleco never delivered.

The ADAM has it's own ROMs and OS. Anything that requires the ADAM's OS might require quite a bit of work to port.

Edited by jblenkle

Super Zaxxon and Dragon's Lair have already been done by Team Pixelboy so ADAM to CV is possible. I'm not really suggesting porting other titles, I'm suggesting doing some of the vaporware titles that were planned, but never produced. They would have to be programmed from scratch, although I imagine some of it could be pulled from the cartridge versions. A Super Gorf game, for example, would utilize the SGM's extended capabilities. Maybe even voice like the arcade game. If I recall correctly, Super Gorf was to have had several extra screens over the cartridge version, as well as a Hall of Fame. It would just be cool to see these games Coleco never delivered.

To do voice while in game you almost need a programmable timer interrupt and would be much easier with a D/A converter which wouldn't cost much these days.

Sadly a D/A converter doesn't appear to be part of the SGM upgrade.

I, for one, would love to see some post-crash stuff on the CV. I mean, if you're just going to port over early 80's arcade games which are readily available on several platforms (minus a few like Bosconian and Mappy), what is the SGM really for? I mean, the stock CV is already fairly capable of faithfully reproducing the gameplay of these titles. I want to see what the system, especially with the SGM, is really capable of.

• Like 2

I, for one, would love to see some post-crash stuff on the CV. I mean, if you're just going to port over early 80's arcade games which are readily available on several platforms (minus a few like Bosconian and Mappy), what is the SGM really for? I mean, the stock CV is already fairly capable of faithfully reproducing the gameplay of these titles. I want to see what the system, especially with the SGM, is really capable of.

Nice. :)

For what it's worth, I feel pretty much the same. The ColecoVision was known for having ports of obscure arcade titles. Personally, I'd like to see more of these types of games, specifically games that received few if any ports to the home consoles of the day. I think Scott Huggins had the right idea by porting games like Astro Invader and Spectar (which of course was an original Coleco vaporware title). We need more ports of coin-ops by Exidy, Universal, Venture Line, etc. I don't have the technical ability to program CV games, but if I did, that's the kind of games I'd be doing. That's just my personal taste.

Along those lines, one of the games I'd most like to see on the ColecoVision is the Sega/Gremlin game Pulsar. The game is simple and fun (I think), it was never ported to any game console, and it should be reasonably easy to develop a nearly arcade perfect translation that would run on a on a stock ColecoVision.

In terms of MSX or SG-1000 translations, I wouldn't mind seeing Flicky on the ColecoVision.

I would also love to see some obscure ports that never made it to anything else (or many) such as Astro Blaster , Lunar Rescue , Hard Hat , Jack Rabbit , Nibbler , Crazy Climber , Eggs and Thief .

Edited by darthkur
  • Like 1

Crazy Climber would be nice, but the arcade version used two sticks for the climbing motion. How might that be accomplished on the CV? Maybe use the roller controller as a holder for the two controllers, and the game would access both controller ports for in-game controls?

It's seems like we did Crazy Climber in one of the HSCs not too long ago. As I recall, you just wiggled the joystick back and forth.

Crazy Climber would be nice, but the arcade version used two sticks for the climbing motion. How might that be accomplished on the CV? Maybe use the roller controller as a holder for the two controllers, and the game would access both controller ports for in-game controls?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...