IGNORED

6502 practice exercises for noobs?

marienbad

hey all

noob here, some limited basic and java experience and basic knowledge of computers. I am ok with binary/twos-complement/hex/logic and or not, and can understand what the mnemonics mean (lda, txa etc).

I am looking for some 6502 assembler practice exercises and something to run them on. I tried www.6502asm.org but it doesn't work in my browser. I need some sort of emulated screen that I can output stuff to.

I have been reading this book:

ftp://ftp.apple.asimov.net/pub/apple_II/documentation/programming/6502assembly/6502%20Assembly%20Language%20Programming.pdf

it is ok, a bit dry, and they use different names for adrdressing modes than in other online tutorials. the exercises are ok, but have been limited so far.

What I need is something that starts with simple exercises and gets harder and harder, but teaches you how to think in assembler as you work through it. Hopefully online, but a book recommendation will do.

Tried some of Andrew Davie's tutorial with dasm and z26 - it is hard to understand what is going on sometimes, but I will work at it.

thanks for any help

Marienbad

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

hey all

noob here, some limited basic and java experience and basic knowledge of computers. I am ok with binary/twos-complement/hex/logic and or not, and can understand what the mnemonics mean (lda, txa etc).

I am looking for some 6502 assembler practice exercises and something to run them on. I tried www.6502asm.org but it doesn't work in my browser. I need some sort of emulated screen that I can output stuff to.

I have been reading this book:

ftp://ftp.apple.asimov.net/pub/apple_II/documentation/programming/6502assembly/6502%20Assembly%20Language%20Programming.pdf

it is ok, a bit dry, and they use different names for adrdressing modes than in other online tutorials. the exercises are ok, but have been limited so far.

What I need is something that starts with simple exercises and gets harder and harder, but teaches you how to think in assembler as you work through it. Hopefully online, but a book recommendation will do.

Tried some of Andrew Davie's tutorial with dasm and z26 - it is hard to understand what is going on sometimes, but I will work at it.

thanks for any help

Marienbad

Marienbad,

you may like my Assembly tutorial (linked in my signature), it's designed to get you up and running fast with 6502 asm.

I like the online book you linked, checking it out now :)

• Like 2