IGNORED

Nice Atari 2600 collections up for auction

Marco

Hi all,

Back from a break, decided to sell some stuff:

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?ff3=4&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&mpre=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fsch%2Fkobobber%2Fm.html%3F_ipg%3D50%26_sop%3D3%26_rdc%3D1

Have a look, perhaps there's something you like.

BINs set high (you never know), but reasonable offers accepted of course

Cheers,

Marco

• Like 2

Hey Marco, saw one of your auctions end, espial. i bid more than double what recent auction guides said it went for and was outbid. How can a small time collector have a chance at any good games when the rich can just pay $1000 for a $150 game every time. I bid on 5 big auctions in the past 3 weeks, all over $200 to $400 bids and lost them all, in almost all cases i went way over guide. Apparently this hobby is already out of reach of the beginning collector. Anyone have any thoughts? Should i just stop now and give up?

Hey Marco, saw one of your auctions end, espial. i bid more than double what recent auction guides said it went for and was outbid.

I don't know what "auction guides" you're referring to, but eBay prices can fluctuate wildly. That Espial ended for a fair price. Actually, someone could've gotten a deal since Marco's listing had a $200 'Buy It Now' option originally, but someone bid on the item and killed the BIN. :? :arrow: :roll:

How can a small time collector have a chance at any good games when the rich can just pay $1000 for a $150 game every time.

I'd say that's a bit of an exaggeration. Nice copies of rare games will often sell for a bit of a premium (especially if someone wants it bad enough and has more than enough cash) but most games sell for what they're worth.

Espial is arguably the rarest Tigervision title after River Patrol, and it's actually very underrated/undervalued. This is mostly because a NOS batch of them was found several years back and for a time the game could be had new in box for under $100. Those days are long gone, and so are those prices. A lot of people who started collecting in recent years need this one, so expect to pay $250-$300 for a nice one.

I bid on 5 big auctions in the past 3 weeks, all over $200 to $400 bids and lost them all, in almost all cases i went way over guide. Apparently this hobby is already out of reach of the beginning collector.

Well, to be fair, I don't know what else you've been bidding on (or what "guide" you've been using), but "beginning collectors" usually don't go after boxed copies of games like Espial (or even Piece O' Cake). For what it's worth, I've been collecting 2600 games for years myself and I don't have either of those games CIB. Piece O' Cake can certainly be had CIB for under $100, and you can probably get a beat boxed copy for half that much. But it's a fairly uncommon game, so don't expect to be able to get a cheap copy literally at will....it'll take some patience.

Anyone have any thoughts? Should i just stop now and give up?

No, I just think your expectations are a bit unrealistic. Losing "5 big auctions in the past 3 weeks" isn't that big of a deal. I lose auctions all the time. If you want to get rare games at decent prices, you'll need to be both patient and persistent. The other option is to simply pony up the cash.

I don't know what "auction guides" you're referring to, but eBay prices can fluctuate wildly. That Espial ended for a fair price. Actually, someone could've gotten a deal since Marco's listing had a $200 'Buy It Now' option originally, but someone bid on the item and killed the BIN. :? :arrow: :roll:

I'd say that's a bit of an exaggeration. Nice copies of rare games will often sell for a bit of a premium (especially if someone wants it bad enough and has more than enough cash) but most games sell for what they're worth.

Espial is arguably the rarest Tigervision title after River Patrol, and it's actually very underrated/undervalued. This is mostly because a NOS batch of them was found several years back and for a time the game could be had new in box for under $100. Those days are long gone, and so are those prices. A lot of people who started collecting in recent years need this one, so expect to pay $250-$300 for a nice one.

Well, to be fair, I don't know what else you've been bidding on (or what "guide" you've been using), but "beginning collectors" usually don't go after boxed copies of games like Espial (or even Piece O' Cake). For what it's worth, I've been collecting 2600 games for years myself and I don't have either of those games CIB. Piece O' Cake can certainly be had CIB for under $100, and you can probably get a beat boxed copy for half that much. But it's a fairly uncommon game, so don't expect to be able to get a cheap copy literally at will....it'll take some patience.

No, I just think your expectations are a bit unrealistic. Losing "5 big auctions in the past 3 weeks" isn't that big of a deal. I lose auctions all the time. If you want to get rare games at decent prices, you'll need to be both patient and persistent. The other option is to simply pony up the cash.

I understand what he's saying. Boxed games are hard to get because of a certain reseller.

Thanks for the info, i didn't realize that espial was so undervalued. I've been out of the hobby for quite some time and prices have already changed from when i collected last time. I have been using various guides from around the web and the price guide history from atari2600.com as starting points. I began collecting boxed games based on the prices i saw, thinking it was a hobby in my price range, becoming sad when i thought that $100 = $1000 (which of course was an exaggeration based on my being outbid seconds before i wrote in, hehe). But i wanted to relook at the hobby to see if i could really afford to keep up with the current big bidders out there. Looks like it will be difficult but i'll keep swinging for the fences. Although with my batting average this week it looks like im headed back to the AAA league. Thanks all for the price perspectives.

What makes me even sadder is when i was a kid i remember buying Piece o' Cake from my local drug store for $3.99 or $4.99, there was an entire box of stuff like that that i sorted and remember buying that one because it was clearance. Then my mom sold them at a yard sale, lol.

Thanks for the info, i didn't realize that espial was so undervalued. I've been out of the hobby for quite some time and prices have already changed from when i collected last time. I have been using various guides from around the web and the price guide history from atari2600.com as starting points. I began collecting boxed games based on the prices i saw, thinking it was a hobby in my price range, becoming sad when i thought that $100 = $1000 (which of course was an exaggeration based on my being outbid seconds before i wrote in, hehe). But i wanted to relook at the hobby to see if i could really afford to keep up with the current big bidders out there. Looks like it will be difficult but i'll keep swinging for the fences. Although with my batting average this week it looks like im headed back to the AAA league. Thanks all for the price perspectives.

What makes me even sadder is when i was a kid i remember buying Piece o' Cake from my local drug store for $3.99 or $4.99, there was an entire box of stuff like that that i sorted and remember buying that one because it was clearance. Then my mom sold them at a yard sale, lol.

Don't give up, but don't expect to get most things boxed anymore either. An "Average" collector is pretty much priced out the CIB market now. Speed collectors and resellers have pushed those prices past the point of reason for most things. It's no longer a cheap little hobby like it was several years ago.

I do have non boxed games which i use to play but my collection itself is only boxed games and those are the only ones i want. I want to recreate the games as i bought them when i was a kid, which is box and all. Somehow cart only games lose the magic for me as i always had my boxes and my friend down the street had them stacked all over the basement. It's just gonna be a long hard road to get em' all. If anyone is still alive and on here 50 years from now when i complete my collection i'll have one hell of a sale when they stick me in a home. Be sure to buy from me then!! Only 18,250 days more until the first items go up for bids.......<slams face on desk>

I do have non boxed games which i use to play but my collection itself is only boxed games and those are the only ones i want. I want to recreate the games as i bought them when i was a kid, which is box and all. Somehow cart only games lose the magic for me as i always had my boxes and my friend down the street had them stacked all over the basement. It's just gonna be a long hard road to get em' all. If anyone is still alive and on here 50 years from now when i complete my collection i'll have one hell of a sale when they stick me in a home. Be sure to buy from me then!! Only 18,250 days more until the first items go up for bids.......<slams face on desk>

Good luck with your effort! I try to go CIB where I can, but also realize that it will be impossible for me to complete the collection. The one thing that may work to your advantage is patience. I truely believe pre-NES will not hold any long term value. At some point prices are going to come back to earth and probably even bottom out when a lot of the current collectors either move on or pass on (as the case may be). Not sure how long that will take, but I'm convinced it will happen.

Thats sad to think, why do you think that is? In other collectibles such as golden age comics, the people who would have been younger then are probably very very old or already gone, yet golden age comics continue to rise, same as with stamps, coins, etc. nobody is still around from early to mid 1800's yet prices are sky high. What factors do you think will contribute to the collapse of the atari market since its the base for modern video games for the most part? Would be interestig to hear your thoughts.

This is just my opinion mind you as I know that there are a considerable number of others on this board that don't see it this way at all. I feel that as the population base gets older, core collectors are going to want what they had in their youth. Right now that is games of the 70's and 80's for the people with the income to purchase. Collection prices reflect that in recent years skyrocketing beyond what I thought it ever would reach. From what I understand, NES & SNES are starting to become extremely hot now as well which makes sense for collectors who grew up with these games. I just don't see vintage games getting the same respect that comics / coins / stamps have received. Even today, I go into an antique shop and ask about any vintage games and usually get a very strange look as if they are questioning my sanity. Couple that with the fact that these games will eventually fail and become unplayable and I'm even more convinced that there will never be long term value in classic game collecting. I collect for the nostalgia factor and because it's something I simply enjoy. I will not put significant money into the hobby. $100 is the most I've ever spent on a game and the most I will ever spend. I prefer to play the waiting game for collectors to get bored and move on. Prices will then start to come back down to Earth. If I'm wrong and they end up being a hot collectible for years to come, then I just won't be adding much more to my collection. I've been buying since '92 so my collection is already substantial. I'll live with what I have and be happy with that.

River Patrol is by far the rarest, that is no question. I don't believe any are on the same level as that one, but I'd say after RP, you have Miner II & Springer, and then Espial. Yeah I know NOS batches kind of cloud things, but they still exist. And I don't think rarity and price need always agree either.

**wishing I still had my NIB copy of Espial I could flip for 10x the monies!!xx!!** :P

Gotta Love Marco's extras!