IGNORED

New homebrew called "Rocketeer"

GroovyBee

Sorry for the off topic, but I looked at your profile and found Apple Snaffle, Funbags and Mystery Castle. Do you release them all as a cartridge? Is Rocketeer the first one, or did I missed one of your games?

Don't worry you haven't missed anything for the Inty. Funbags was a joke to tease Rev so nothing more will be done to that one. The other two will be worked on as time permits. I did add more to Mystery Castle with opening/closing doors and some new graphics to go on the walls but never advanced the game play very much.

I have no plans to release the ROM at the moment.

No biggie, i think releasing the rom would hurt cart sales anyway!

And you NEED to be compensated for your awesome work!

Totally agree. has to be played in the flesh on a cart in a real inty. Nothing beats the pleasure of inserting a cart into the inty and turning on the retro loving!

Don't worry you haven't missed anything for the Inty. Funbags was a joke to tease Rev so nothing more will be done to that one. The other two will be worked on as time permits. I did add more to Mystery Castle with opening/closing doors and some new graphics to go on the walls but never advanced the game play very much.

What?!!! My funbags inspired game was just a joke? You just ruined my day!!!!!!

You gotta at least burn me a hard copy! Seriously!

I guess its not that hard to understand. If you're not developing something like Utopia, I dont need a manual.

I think the manual goes right there with the overlays and the box: not strictly necessary, but they enhance the experience by resembling the games we loved as kids. Plus, collectors go coo-coo over it. :lol:

That said, I respect Groovy's position on all of these. I'm sure he rather invest his time and effort on making new games, not collateral. I rather he do so, too. ;)

dZ.

To tell the truth: Of course I like these beautyful boxes and if I can choose, I always take the CiB game (like I had the choice at D2K Arcad), but I am happy that there are people like GroovyBee, who dont do this for collectors. No box, no shrinkwrap, pretty bad for all the Ebay-resellers :-D

The official releases really have to be CiB for me, but homebrews are different, they are for playing and having fun, what is nearly impossible with crappy games like Turbo :lol:

The most fun thing about creating a homebrew game is getting the initial concept up and running. I have a hard drive full of "I wonder if ....." projects. Some projects will never form the core of a game because there is "no game" in the idea (or more likely, I can't see an interesting game in it). However, those ideas might make a cool in game effect or be put into an attract sequence instead.

To tell the truth: Of course I like these beautyful boxes and if I can choose, I always take the CiB game (like I had the choice at D2K Arcad), but I am happy that there are people like GroovyBee, who dont do this for collectors. No box, no shrinkwrap, pretty bad for all the Ebay-resellers :-D

The official releases really have to be CiB for me, but homebrews are different, they are for playing and having fun, what is nearly impossible with crappy games like Turbo :lol:

For the record: Christmas Carol packaging was not made for collectors. From the beginning I wanted to release a game the way it was done when I was a kid to complete my own personal experience of a brand new game.

To me, the project was much more than a home-brew, which is why I dedicated so much effort into polishing it (and also why I spent so much money and effort into correcting and replacing the bugged carts).

I personally separate both: Carol, the game, is a free home-brew ROM. Carol, the full experience, is the whole package. If it were up to me, all games would be like this. ;)

dZ.

• Like 1

The most fun thing about creating a homebrew game is getting the initial concept up and running. I have a hard drive full of "I wonder if ....." projects. Some projects will never form the core of a game because there is "no game" in the idea (or more likely, I can't see an interesting game in it). However, those ideas might make a cool in game effect or be put into an attract sequence instead.

LOL! That is so true. I have 4 games in such a stage.

I also spent 2 years (on and off) thinking up the "theory" of a Pac-Man implementation, how to encode the maze data, how to draw the ghosts, how to design the maze, how to detect collisions, how to codify the AI logic of each enemy, etc. all in theory, paper notes and drawings, and purely conceptual.

My wife "knew" that that would be the extent

of the project, because that's the best part for me. She challenged me to complete it, which is what brought me to this stage. :)

dZ.

I get your point and like I said: If I can choose I always prefer CiB. Just these resellers spoil the fun for me a bit. That has NOTHING to do with you guys, who bring all the great games to our console.

By the way: I am quite new at this board, were upcoming homebrews announced here? I hope that the better informed guys spare they information about new games :)

I get your point and like I said: If I can choose I always prefer CiB. Just these resellers spoil the fun for me a bit. That has NOTHING to do with you guys, who bring all the great games to our console.

By the way: I am quite new at this board, were upcoming homebrews announced here? I hope that the better informed guys spare they information about new games :)

http://www.intellivisionrevolution.com/homebrew-releases

No plans for either.

HA! Sounds like opportunity knocking to me!!

Here is a downloadable teaser sneak peak preview demo of my upcoming new book:

Rocketeer, the Missing Manual.

Rules

Generic Game rules:

1. If it moves, avoid it and try to shoot it.

2. If you can't shoot it, try to pick it up.

Rocketeer specific rules:

3. If you pick it up and it doesn't disappear, fly around until you are compelled to drop it.

4. If you pick it up and it just disappears, it is a mysterious bonus item whose purpose you will never fathom.*

5. If you see a completely blue spaceship in the game, get in it.

6. Bacon rules!

7. Don't anger the Groovy Bee.

* This rule is based on a Spectrum game I played once - hopefully the bonus items in THIS game will be easy to understand…

• Like 4

Today's update is........ a gifeo!

post-21935-0-30899300-1363902226_thumb.gif <---- Click to animate

This is the last title page (hopefully - unless nonner isn't happy :lol:). The new modern look spaceman's helmet design is much more colourful than the last version because more of the BACKTAB cards (tiles) are pulled in from GROM freeing up space in GRAM. A big thanks to nonner for going the extra mile on this.

I'm currently putting in the bonus items as well. Hopefully, they'll be in and fully working by tomorrow night.

• Like 2