IGNORED

New homebrew called "Rocketeer"

GroovyBee

These high scores obtained by people playing Rocketeer on Saturday (April 6th) at AC2013 :-

post-21935-0-26911700-1365515511_thumb.jpg

There aren't any for Sunday because I had to use the Inty for testing my speed coding contest entry.

The top 5 scores actually read like instructions!

Pat link

Pat Gaz

Groovybee :D

Spent too much time playin rocketeer at the weekend. I think everyone was very impressed with what GB has done so far! Can't wait to get my hands on my own personal copy! :)

• Like 1

With the prep for AC2013 (and attending the event as well) Rocketeer didn't get much love in the last week or so. So.... today's changes are :-

- High score name entry can be completed by pressing Enter on the keypad.

- All high score letters/digits entered so far can be deleted by pressing Clear on the keypad.

- Difficulty can be chosen on the title page by pressing 1, 2 or 3 for easy, medium and hard.

• Like 1

Today's changes :-

- Pressing fire to start the game on the title page defaults it to medium difficulty.

- Added "E", "M" or "H" (for Easy, Medium or Hard) after the level number on the high score name entry screen.

- A bonus life is now awarded every 10K points.

- The code to define what happens in the game on easy, medium and hard difficulty settings is about 30% complete.

• Like 2

- Tracked down a bug that was randomly causing fuel pods to hang in the air when they were falling and you died. It took a while to track down because it didn't happen very often and it also takes a while to build the rocket.

- The code for implementing the easy difficulty level is in place but will most likely need tweaking after some extensive play testing.

The most common complaint from everybody who has played the game has been the "sticky" platforms so I'll be addressing that next.

- Tracked down a bug that was randomly causing fuel pods to hang in the air when they were falling and you died. It took a while to track down because it didn't happen very often and it also takes a while to build the rocket.

- The code for implementing the easy difficulty level is in place but will most likely need tweaking after some extensive play testing.

The most common complaint from everybody who has played the game has been the "sticky" platforms so I'll be addressing that next.

Any update as to expected shipping date? Not trying to hurry you, was just curious....looks awesome!

Any update as to expected shipping date? Not trying to hurry you, was just curious....looks awesome!

Hopefully the game will have all the game play elements and difficulty settings needed to go into an intensive test phase after this weekend. There is some more eye/ear candy to go in after that but I'll juggle that around once the game is solid and I know how much ROM space is free.

Shipping will happen in May but I don't have a hard date for you at the moment.

Hey groovy, even if you won't have a manual, box, or overlays...will you have something digital people can download? Or even print off their own? Elektronite has this option with bilingual manuals.

This could even come later, as you need to finish the game first! :-)

Hey groovy, even if you won't have a manual, box, or overlays...will you have something digital people can download? Or even print off their own? Elektronite has this option with bilingual manuals.

Nonner and I are concentrating on game development at the moment.

This could even come later, as you need to finish the game first! :-)

JasonlikesTHIS

Edited by JasonlikesINTV

Self do, self have. A game is for playing and so I start to wonder why the box or manual seems to be more interessting than the game itself. I also cant see any sense of overlays for such a self explaining game. If you ask me most of the custom made overlays, like for Thin Ice, look unlikely to the original Intellivision style.

A box would be nice to put it in the shelf, but its not that hard to make a box by your own, manual or overlays are completely irrelevant, especially the overlays which a collector would never use to keep them minty, also if the had some.

Just my two Cent, but I hope this endless asking for box and manual dont annoy GroovyBee someday.

Edited by Ignorama

I think that the desire for box, overlays, and manuals for games is rooted in the gamer's appreciation for the artwork of the game. The game artwork, especially for older games with often terrible graphics, has played a huge role in game marketing. It fills in the gap between the often oversimplified graphics of a game and the much richer back story that is being told through the artwork and game description. This is why all vintage games reserve the front of the box for dramatic artwork while the actual gameplay screens go on the back. Maybe we're all blinded by clever marketing, but maybe we just choose to play along and let our imaginations enhance the game.

A box, specifically also serves a functional purpose for storage and a gatefold reduces wear that is common to the non-gatefold boxes. This is also what is primarily displayed.

The manual includes instructions, which are always nice, but also sometimes include additional artwork like the center posters in Imagic manuals. I also typically enjoy the backstory that many of the manuals include. If you're ever bored and want a good example, read Blockade Runner. It's pretty wild.

Overlays......I know I'm biased on these :grin: , but if anything sets the Intellivision apart from other consoles it's the overlays. They dually serve both a functional purpose (although sometimes unnecessarily) and an artistic one. I think of overlays like baseball cards. They are handy, unique and collectible cards for the games. I like them so much, I have started an overlay collection that is completely separate from my CIB collection.

........is why I want a box, overlays, and a manual :grin:

Edited by JasonlikesINTV
  • Like 1

but if anything sets the Intellivision apart from other consoles it's the overlays.

Thats not right. Colecovision has overlays, the Atari Jaguar has overlays, so overlays cant set the Intellivision apart from other systems. The Intellivision is fascinating because of the innovations for its time, not because of a stupid piece of plastic. Most of the best games dont have overlays, so I dont know why collectors are so addicted to get them for new releases.

I also dont need a manual for Rocketeer and if you are honest, you also dont need instructions to play it ;)

The only point I can completely agree is the box, but its really no problem to make a custom box. Maybe not in gatefold style (to tell the truth: I dont like this style that much), but its easy to make a box in Parker style, which is my favorite. But everyone has known from the beginning: Its a cartridge only release and GroovyBee underlined that not just one time.

Dont get me wrong, I wont deny your desire for a box or manual, but I could imagine it becomes exhausting for a developer if every third post (exaggeration) in your thread is about paper and plastic. By the way: Box and this stuff just take time and time is needed to release KillBotz asap after Rocketeer, so let Groovy develop the games and someone else create a box :lol:

Edited by Ignorama