IGNORED

New homebrew called "Rocketeer"

GroovyBee

I think that the desire for box, overlays, and manuals for games is rooted in the gamer's appreciation for the artwork of the game. The game artwork, especially for older games with often terrible graphics, has played a huge role in game marketing. It fills in the gap between the often oversimplified graphics of a game and the much richer back story that is being told through the artwork and game description. This is why all vintage games reserve the front of the box for dramatic artwork while the actual gameplay screens go on the back. Maybe we're all blinded by clever marketing, but maybe we just choose to play along and let our imaginations enhance the game.

A box, specifically also serves a functional purpose for storage and a gatefold reduces wear that is common to the non-gatefold boxes. This is also what is primarily displayed.

The manual includes instructions, which are always nice, but also sometimes include additional artwork like the center posters in Imagic manuals. I also typically enjoy the backstory that many of the manuals include. If you're ever bored and want a good example, read Blockade Runner. It's pretty wild.

Overlays......I know I'm biased on these :grin: , but if anything sets the Intellivision apart from other consoles it's the overlays. They dually serve both a functional purpose (although sometimes unnecessarily) and an artistic one. I think of overlays like baseball cards. They are handy, unique and collectible cards for the games. I like them so much, I have started an overlay collection that is completely separate from my CIB collection.

........is why I want a box, overlays, and a manual :grin:

Amen, Jason!

You are right on target on all of this!

The box art most of all for me at least, sets the Intellivision apart ftom other systems and it is why I love to collect for the Intellivision.

great post by you! :)

I like boxes, manual, etc... but its not a necessity. I buy it because I want to play the game. Its nice to have a box if I want to display it on a shelf, but I don't have the space and it all goes into tubs.

Also, most of the time i'm on a budget so I can afford everything I want and having no box makes it cheaper for me to purchase.

I think the extra $20. bucks is very well worth getting a box in the long run for sure.

Yes, I do display my stuff, and all of my complete 145 plus Intellivision games are boxed, so it would be great for me to continue that tradition..

Very hard to display a cartridge!

If this is ever released, I'm thinking about having a custom box and manual made (or I'll try to make them myself :roll: )

Voltron had a mock up box made at one time. It was awesome!

I vote for Groovy to have these mass produced at once!

post-19433-0-51114600-1394151842_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...