IGNORED

New homebrew called "Rocketeer"

GroovyBee

I am glad to see this coming, Thank you!

Anyone that has moved since the pre-order should check with Groovy to make sure he has your most recent address. It will save you and him any miss-directed mail.

I have not moved.

That's happened to me recently. Sometimes people forget to update their address on ebay/paypal.

• Like 1

Thanks for the compliment.

I would have done it sooner, but the aftermath of Hurricane Doris screwed my internet connection for nearly two weeks :(.

You should be able to order the game after the pre-orders have shipped.

Cheers !!!!!! :)

• Like 1

Thanks for that fantastic update. I'm super excited for this release! But I think Capt Bacon needs a game of his own. :)

Agreed. I fear Groovy is missing a massive opportunity. I envision a minimum 3 game arc with an animated series, tshirts, possibly a ride at Disney. :) Seriously though, I want him to have his own game.

• Like 1

Agreed. I fear Groovy is missing a massive opportunity. I envision a minimum 3 game arc with an animated series, tshirts, possibly a ride at Disney. :) Seriously though, I want him to have his own game.

:lol: Nah, not really. I think that there is still plenty of mileage in Piggy Bank :ponder:.

• Like 1

Man, this is so cool!!!

Thanks for the compliment!

I'm curious if you had to use cartridge size bigger than 42K? A lot of cool animation and top notch presentation. I can hardly wait to play this game. :)

Yep! It uses Bee3 bank switching, on cart RAM, game save EEPROM and some hardware acceleration features too.

• Like 2

decle, that is incredible. I just watched the video, took a screen shot of the globe, was about to ask a question "how do you do that" and poof you beat me by 24 hours. Wow.

:)

post-31694-0-24615200-1489160227_thumb.jpg

Mr. Bee, I conceptually understand what you mean, but if you have spare minutes this year to cover that in the Programming forum, it would be appreciated by lightweights like me.

Thanks!

That looks and sounds really impressive.

How do you do the overlay of the scores on the planet animation on high score screen? The effect is subtle and slick. There look to be quite a few cards with 3 colours:

attachicon.gifrocketeer.png

Edited by First Spear
  • Like 2

Mr. Bee, I conceptually understand what you mean, but if you have spare minutes this year to cover that in the Programming forum, it would be appreciated by lightweights like me.

Sure! No problem. I will recode it in IntyBASIC when I get the time. That way its more accessible/usable for other people.

• Like 2

decle, that is incredible. I just watched the video, took a screen shot of the globe, was about to ask a question "how do you do that" and poof you beat me by 24 hours. Wow.

:)

Great minds think alike, or perhaps that should be fools seldom differ? ;)

To be honest, I felt a bit guilty asking the question. Clearly, so much love has been poured into the game and there were so many cool things in the video, and then the stupid thing that struck me was the darn high score table! But there it is. It looks so cool and sophisticated, and then you look a bit more closely and, hang on there's loads of cards with 3 colours. How the hell has he done that without it being flicker central? The solution of turning everything on its head and having the scores as background and the globe made of super-scaled MOBs is a cool bit of lateral thinking. Love stuff like that. Must remember it. :)

I should probably go back through and look at the video again more closely. I bet there are loads of other clever tricks in there to learn from.

• Like 2

To be honest, I felt a bit guilty asking the question. Clearly, so much love has been poured into the game and there were so many cool things in the video, and then the stupid thing that struck me was the darn high score table! But there it is. It looks so cool and sophisticated, and then you look a bit more closely and, hang on there's loads of cards with 3 colours. How the hell has he done that without it being flicker central? The solution of turning everything on its head and having the scores as background and the globe made of super-scaled MOBs is a cool bit of lateral thinking. Love stuff like that. Must remember it. :)

Just a slight correction to your description: its the MOBs that are in background mode and not the text. The font is always drawn in the foreground colour (using colour stack mode) on the HSC league table screen.

The animated cut scenes took the most time compared to the rest of the game thats for sure. I think that they definitely add both atmosphere and replayability to the game. I probably watched 1000s of animated gifs of them in action over the lifetime of the project e.g. looking for visual glitches, marking X/Y positions, transition points, hunting bugs and so on. Some code rewrites were involved too, as I thought of better ways to achieve some of the things I wanted in there.

I should probably go back through and look at the video again more closely. I bet there are loads of other clever tricks in there to learn from.

No problem. If you have questions about anything feel free to ask. In most cases I should be able to do the same effect in IntyBASIC. However, in some cases IntyBASIC couldn't match the raw assembly speed required in the ISRs to achieve some of the effects.

The Inty's MOB and display system is interesting and you can make all kinds of cool effects with it. The only thing it lacks in my opinion, is the Atari 2600's player replicate feature.

• Like 1

I would have done it sooner, but

I ran out of gas. I... I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake. A terrible flood. LOCUSTS! IT WASN'T MY FAULT, I SWEAR TO GOD!

(j/k, bro)

• Like 1