IGNORED

New homebrew called "Rocketeer"

GroovyBee

• 3 months later...

This. Is. Why. I. Advocate. For. Game. Source. Code. To. Be. Public. At. All. Phases. Including. Development.

Why?

Because of:

* ADHD

* Boredom

* Life changing events

* Death

* Leaving the scene

Every piece of code that is public is something that someone else can take and use.

Every piece of code left hidden is forever lost to time.

-Thom

6 hours ago, tschak909 said:

Every piece of code that is public is something that someone else can take and use.

Unfortunately the Intellivision scene had a very bad incident of exactly that the other year. As long as someone in the end is trying to at least recoup their costs - not really making money - only selected snippets of code will be openly published, in particular after we learned there are less noble participants in this community.

11 hours ago, tschak909 said:

Only if someone has a question about something, I usually pull up my already made code and show them.  Or make a tutorial on something and make a thread. Not the entire game source code especially work in progres.  I didn't post my source code for my Intybasic contest because it is incomplete and I wanted to put the game on cartridge when it is finished. 

Beside, Rocketeer is designed to work with Groovybee's Bee3 cartridge boards.   

I suppose once your finished program is published, and perhaps with a grace period to allow it to exist on the market just like a patent, most of the sources could be released for preservation and others to learn from it. Alternatively you could keep your sources in a closed cloud storage that has a named beneficiary and in case you pass away or don't touch the project for a given period of time, the cloud is opened for the beneficiary to handle it according to your "will", whether that is direct inheritage or sharing with everyone.

Even if you don't steal others' work without asking for permission or ignore giving credit to whom wrote 90% of your program, be certain others will.

and if they do? what? Are your egos THAT fragile?

Wow, that's...pathetic.

I publish all of my work publically, and I want people to steal it. Steal is the wrong word, really. I do not care about credit, because, guess what? I didn't invent the damned thing whole cloth.

-Thom

Edited by tschak909

2 hours ago, Kiwi said:

Only if someone has a question about something, I usually pull up my already made code and show them.  Or make a tutorial on something and make a thread. Not the entire game source code especially work in progres.  I didn't post my source code for my Intybasic contest because it is incomplete and I wanted to put the game on cartridge when it is finished. 

Beside, Rocketeer is designed to work with Groovybee's Bee3 cartridge boards.   

39 minutes ago, carlsson said:

I suppose once your finished program is published, and perhaps with a grace period to allow it to exist on the market just like a patent, most of the sources could be released for preservation and others to learn from it. Alternatively you could keep your sources in a closed cloud storage that has a named beneficiary and in case you pass away or don't touch the project for a given period of time, the cloud is opened for the beneficiary to handle it according to your "will", whether that is direct inheritage or sharing with everyone.

Even if you don't steal others' work without asking for permission or ignore giving credit to whom wrote 90% of your program, be certain others will.

tschak909 is a drama queen, no answer satisfies him. Don't lose your time replying to him. Besides he always generalizes and uses this colorful language.

53 minutes ago, tschak909 said:

sigh. always an excuse, always a rationalization.

18 minutes ago, tschak909 said:

and if they do? what? Are your egos THAT fragile?

Wow, that's...pathetic.

As every regular Intellivision forum visitor knows (and obviously you aren't one), someone took Artrag's Gyruss primitive source code, compiled and published it with almost no changes as a complete game, and still shamelessly sells copies in a FB page.

So please take your pathetic ass out of there and inform yourself better the next time.

• Like 2

Such poisonous people.

I am aware of what has happened in various communities here on AtariAge. My point still stands, because we are such a small macrocommunity. It speaks more to the stroking of egos that stuff gets put close to the chest, than any real loss of credit or profit.

Oscar, you call me a drama queen because I give an empassioned response? Fine. My point still stands.

-Thom

Edited by tschak909

3 hours ago, nanochess said:

As every regular Intellivision forum visitor knows (and obviously you aren't one), someone took Artrag's Gyruss primitive source code, compiled and published it with almost no changes as a complete game, and still shamelessly sells copies in a FB page.

As well as selling Ghostbusters and buggy Quo Vadis. He is banned from Atariage, but still sells on FB and people fall all over themselves to keep them in business.