IGNORED

New homebrew called "Rocketeer"

GroovyBee

42 minutes ago, Swami said:

As well as selling Ghostbusters and buggy Quo Vadis. He is banned from Atariage, but still sells on FB and people fall all over themselves to keep them in business. 

and there is the problem my friend ,  if people weren't so ocd and had any integrity these games and people should have never had any support or acknowledgement from the retro community after pulling a stunt like the Gyruss incident... 

But addicts need there hit and cant control the impulses for the shinny new tainted releases.   

6 hours ago, tschak909 said:

and if they do? what? Are your egos THAT fragile?

Wow, that's...pathetic.

I publish all of my work publically, and I want people to steal it. Steal is the wrong word, really. I do not care about credit, because, guess what? I didn't invent the damned thing whole cloth.

-Thom

Open source software is great and has benefits like you mentioned.  Some people believe in it others would rather try and make a bit of money from their efforts.  It's up to them.  Jzintv and Mame are open source.  People are free to use that code and sell it for profit if they like.

7 hours ago, tschak909 said:

and if they do? what? Are your egos THAT fragile?

Games takes a TONs of time and effort to make.  If I need help with something, I referred to someone I trust to look over my code.  TRUST is the key word.  I learned a lot from doing so.  I thank groovybee, he's awesome for doing that for me as well as nanochess. 

And this forums is open to the public.  If I post a source code or a full game, I'm worried that all that time and effort I put into the product would be wasted. It could be sniped and put on cartridge.  My trust with the general public isn't very high. Only if the game I don't really care about or not sure if people would want to play it, I post it on the forums.  Or something I ported to the Colecovision like Grail of the Gods that has source code available.

Yes, my ego is very fragile.  I like make games for system with real limitation.  There's a reason why I didn't post the source code for A Sparrow goes Flapping, since that incident happened around that time.

6 hours ago, tschak909 said:

Such poisonous people.

Thank you. I am toxic.

Edited by Kiwi

For that matter, people had more than 7 years to skip ahead of GroovyBee and make their own Jetpac clones for the Intellivision. At least for the past 3-5 years, with the advent of IntyBASIC it probably be a matter of a few evenings or no more than a few months for an average programmer to make that type of game. If it was done as a service to the community, everyone who preordered Rocketeer could PM the developer/publisher of the new game with their order number as some form of proof of purchase and get a free (perhaps encoded) ROM, and all the others could buy it in regular order.

I mean in a such scenario, very few would feel the need to get ahold of Groovy's code, in particular if his game was coded to run on his own cartridge with whichever extensions it might have over a stock console (JLP support? Acceleration? Honestly I don't know and don't care that much).

Also people had about the same time to come up with their own memory card based cartridge. Joe already sells his LTO! Flash to the point it got sold out and people are queueing for a new run, but besides that there seems to be very little competition which kind of strikes me as odd with so relatively many homebrew publishers and hardware savvy people that nobody catched up on what Groovy has promised. Yes, already invested money might be lost but if there were other products serving the same purpose, his efforts would diminish and no need to bring up an old, inflamed topic once every third month.

16 hours ago, carlsson said:

For that matter, people had more than 7 years to skip ahead of GroovyBee and make their own Jetpac clones for the Intellivision. At least for the past 3-5 years, with the advent of IntyBASIC it probably be a matter of a few evenings or no more than a few months for an average programmer to make that type of game. If it was done as a service to the community, everyone who preordered Rocketeer could PM the developer/publisher of the new game with their order number as some form of proof of purchase and get a free (perhaps encoded) ROM, and all the others could buy it in regular order.

I mean in a such scenario, very few would feel the need to get ahold of Groovy's code, in particular if his game was coded to run on his own cartridge with whichever extensions it might have over a stock console (JLP support? Acceleration? Honestly I don't know and don't care that much).

Also people had about the same time to come up with their own memory card based cartridge. Joe already sells his LTO! Flash to the point it got sold out and people are queueing for a new run, but besides that there seems to be very little competition which kind of strikes me as odd with so relatively many homebrew publishers and hardware savvy people that nobody catched up on what Groovy has promised. Yes, already invested money might be lost but if there were other products serving the same purpose, his efforts would diminish and no need to bring up an old, inflamed topic once every third month.

It‘s not about the fact that someone else could have the the games Groovy Bee has promised. It‘s about the fact that he took the money for two games in advance and didn‘t deliver. And most of the people still waiting to get their money back. 

• Like 6

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

This is the kind of stuff that hurts our intelli community. Its a real shame. There are so many good people in the Inty community. Terrible that it only takes a few to ruin it for gamers, collectors, and programmers. I feel lucky i was not around for it, and Gyrus for that matter (which looks really cool, but im not a fan of how it went down...so). If i was around then, i'd be out money too.

2 hours ago, Psycho Stormtrooper- Rog said:

This is the kind of stuff that hurts our intelli community. Its a real shame. There are so many good people in the Inty community. Terrible that it only takes a few to ruin it for gamers, collectors, and programmers. I feel lucky i was not around for it, and Gyrus for that matter (which looks really cool, but im not a fan of how it went down...so). If i was around then, i'd be out money too.

The real damage to the community was having to read all 85 pages of this thread.

I read the entire thing, pre-ordered multiple games, waited forever, waited some more, and eventually got reimbursed for the games.  I feel like I've earned a patch.

?

Edited by JasonlikesINTV
More
  • Haha 5

6 hours ago, JasonlikesINTV said:

The real damage to the community was having to read all 85 pages of this thread.

I read the entire thing, pre-ordered multiple games, waited forever, waited some more, and eventually got reimbursed for the games.  I feel like I've earned a patch.

?

You did earn a patch, but sorry, you'll never get it.

Groovy bee was the guy who was going to make those also.

• Sad 1

23 hours ago, cmart604 said:

I'm legit still hoping this game comes out. Seriously, it looked fun. 

I play-tested it, and I can say that it was.  It was actually quite cool.

As far as I know, the game was complete and ready, and was just waiting for the hardware (Bee3) to be finalized.

I do not know what happened after that, and I haven't been in touch with GroovyBee since, but something must have happened because development was going strong and steady on many games for quite some time before it all got halted abruptly.

I had paid for two units of Rocketeer and got refunded, though. *shrug*

I will say, though, that it doesn't really help anybody and it does not really make this community any better, to bump this thread every so often just to bitch and beat the carcass of a very dead horse.

dZ.

Edited by DZ-Jay
  • Like 3

16 hours ago, DZ-Jay said:

I will say, though, that it doesn't really help anybody and it does not really make this community any better, to bump this thread every so often just to bitch and beat the carcass of a very dead horse.

dZ.

The horse is not dead as long as there are those that have yet to be refunded and we have no other way of contacting the thief. It is not bitching when money is lost, it is a real complaint. Stop minimizing it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SoulBuster said:

The horse is not dead as long as there are those that have yet to be refunded and we have no other way of contacting the thief. It is not bitching when money is lost, it is a real complaint. Stop minimizing it.

Be my guest, continue bitching about it all you want, see how far that gets you, how much it enriches this community, and how much refund it returns.

-dZ.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, DZ-Jay said:

Be my guest, continue bitching about it all you want, see how far that gets you, how much it enriches this community, and how much refund it returns.

-dZ.

I agree with DZ-Jay.  While it is understandable that folks are still angry, there are no further refunds coming and there is no community benefit here.

After 8 years, 85 pages, and 2100+ posts, we've beaten this dead horse to the point of coating the walls with splattered rancid meat.

Perhaps it is time to lock the thread.

• Like 2