Let me introduce myself: I am the original creator and Copyright owner of ULTIMON!

I have decided to make this old version (along with its new PDF Manual) available for anyone to download and use completely free of charge. Although it will still remain subject to my Copyright.

You may download the original ROM and the new Manual from:

https://www.box.com/...jd2zs8pce0saeae

The ROM should work for: 600XL (64K), 800XL, 800XLE, 130XE & 65XE.

Enjoy!

In the near future a MyBIOS compatible version of ULTIMON will be released.

Edited by john.lawson
  • Like 9

Not tested yet... but I read the manual last night. What exciting features!!!!

I did not read every letter of it, but I was wondering: does it still support PBI devices or are these routines gone... since you spoke about OS B vectors etc. I suppose it will not support PBI devices. I would like to combine this with my BlackBox.

If this OS satisfies me for my coding projects (I still do everything on the real thing, no crossassemblers etc.) ... I would like to make a donation for this work; like it was 1985... but first let me test it out!

Is it me or is Basic not being disabled, says its disabled by default and you hold option to enable it but it starts with a basic prompt and I booted Spiky Harold to play and it seemed clear that Basic was still in.

EDIT: Stepped back and thought about it, ULTIMON reverses the way the OS involves BASIC, so of course you have to set Altirra to include basic to now exclude it..

Edited by Mclaneinc

Hmmm on real hardware tested...

It does not want to work with my absolute number one favorite Assembler.

As soon as Synassembler (in ROM cart) is inserted, the DOS is booted, but as soon as the cart should start, everything hangs stuck.

Pity. Perhaps this can be fixed?

Hmmm on real hardware tested...

It does not want to work with my absolute number one favorite Assembler.

As soon as Synassembler (in ROM cart) is inserted, the DOS is booted, but as soon as the cart should start, everything hangs stuck.

Pity. Perhaps this can be fixed?

Have you tried the XL patched version of SynAssembler too?

Have you tried the XL patched version of SynAssembler too?

I have patched the OS B version of the ROM myself. I'm using the ROM version not the file version. IIRC there do not circulate XL patched ROM versions.

Unfortunately I can not spread this Synassembler ROM file. I have promised to the person who gave it to me, that I would not release it to the public. I do not want to break this promise.

But... you gave me one good hint indeed. I could try the OS B version (the original ROM) on Ultimon.... perhaps THAT will work!

Thanks for all your comments. This particular version will die as soon an I release a MyBIOS compatible version (ULTIMON II; basically splitting ULTIMON from the OS, fixing bugs and re-documenting the changes), that should then open up possibilities for other hardware. I am just having a play with my favourite old computer and hopefully making others happy in the process.

Not tested yet... but I read the manual last night. What exciting features!!!!

I did not read every letter of it, but I was wondering: does it still support PBI devices or are these routines gone... since you spoke about OS B vectors etc. I suppose it will not support PBI devices. I would like to combine this with my BlackBox.

If this OS satisfies me for my coding projects (I still do everything on the real thing, no crossassemblers etc.) ... I would like to make a donation for this work; like it was 1985... but first let me test it out!

We can get more deeply into fixing it for you when we see how ULTIMON II works.

Just playing around with it and I'm having not vast amount of luck halting games etc, some halt and are either locked or the keyboard does nothing or they simply throw all sorts of player garbage and the display is unusable.

Is this an emulation thing?

Again lets see how ULTIMON II will perform. There is no emulation involved.

Thanks for the filez John....Hows things going since you left the Atari scene (post computer support)

lastly, isn't it true that one of the futureware programmers (of sidewinder fame) helped you design 'Ultimon', Paul Carr unless i am mistaken

I knew both John Sosta and Paul Carr very well, none of them had anything to do with ULTIMON, they were into games, I was into the technical side, as I already had Electronics qualifications. I did some programming on the Atari ST with Paul just to learn C (no products came from it). I never have been into games but I absolutely love playing Atari Space Invaders, in fact its what made me dig the old equipment out.

Nowadays I am a professional software developer I spent 15 years developing robotic and diagnostic software for General Motors, Ford Motor Company, Jaguar Cars, Land Rover; after the massive decline in the UK car industry I was left with no work so I decided to reboot my career and currently I have many projects on the go; PC, Linux, Mac and iPhone/iPad for the Estate Agent business. I have programmed in 12 different languages my favourite being C#. I maintain my own Linux servers.

Edited by john.lawson

Hi John...

Did you ever have dealing with Computer House in Fulham?

Not sure if they sold your product...If they did was it a horror story :)

Both myself and Carmel knew John and Paul, me from reviewing their game and Carmel knew them from Silica I presume. I really liked the little monitor John had hooked up to his ST to play The Pawn on..Was very nice for the day.

Will look forward to Ultimon II: The Revenge :)

Will it knock my good old OmnimonXL which I purchased in the good old days off top spot ;)

Edited by Mclaneinc

Hi John...

Did you ever have dealing with Computer House in Fulham?

Not sure if they sold your product...If they did was it a horror story :)

Both myself and Carmel knew John and Paul, me from reviewing their game and Carmel knew them from Silica I presume. I really liked the little monitor John had hooked up to his ST to play The Pawn on..Was very nice for the day.

Will look forward to Ultimon II: The Revenge :)

Will it knock my good old OmnimonXL which I purchased in the good old days off top spot ;)

I never knew of Computer House so I never had any dealings with them (sounds like I was lucky?). ULTIMON II is well on its way it will work in the Cartridge area, it has new and much better look, it will be easier to use and have more functionality. No target date yet but it should be within a couple of months.

Thanks for dropping by!

One of my 800XL systems is equipped with UltiMon! :-)

Do you know who wrote some of the software distributed by Computer Support? Still looking for Biorhythms and Zapping Zombies after all these years.

--

Atari Frog

http://www.atarimania.com

Biorhythms was written by John Sosta & Paul Carr (I think it was their first effort at programming a product for sale) jointly and was only produced on cassette media. If I eventually get a new drive belt I can try my only version to see if it works. Zapping Zombies I wrote that (it was my very first program when I became a software developer), Once ULTIMON II is over just maybe I can look at releasing it again (yes I have the source code). Edited by john.lawson

Let me introduce myself: I am the original creator and Copyright owner of ULTIMON!

I have decided to make this old version (along with its new PDF Manual) available for anyone to download and use completely free of charge. Although it will still remain subject to my Copyright.

You may download the original ROM and the new Manual from:

https://www.box.com/...jd2zs8pce0saeae

The ROM should work for: 600XL (64K), 800XL, 800XLE, 130XE & 65XE.

Enjoy!

In the near future a MyBIOS compatible version of ULTIMON will be released.

Is it just me who can not see the program ROM on the above link. All i can see and downlad is the manual (pdf) :?

By the way many thanks for making it available.

Edited by atari8warez