IGNORED

The Little Atari 810 Disk Drive [microSD reader]

jmccorm

So the project at this website...

http://rossum.posterous.com/a-little-atari-810-disk-drive

...did it ever go anywhere? Were these ever produced? Did we hear anything more from the guy after 2011?

I'm wanting a nice sdcard drive for my 8-bit Atari, and this one caught my eye before the SIO2SD does. Speaking of the SIO2SD drive, there seems to be a few people who sell it. What's a good way to get one in the SD with the nice black case and at a good price?

• Like 1

As far as I know that device did not go anywhere, I tried to contact the guy several times but never got a reply. A real shame as it looked to be such a nice device.

As for Sio2SD, Sanstop made some a while ago at reasonable prices, not sure if he is planning to make any more.

Lotharek makes and sells them from his web site, not cheap though. Other than that, buy the board and fit it into your own project case

• 1 year later...

I'm posting a little bit late but better late than never. I am really surprised that someone has not thought of a way to convert one of these older disk drives into a CD-ROM drive yet. Why CD-ROM? For a few reasons.

• Older CD-ROM drives are readily available
  • Every modern PC has a CD-ROM writer now (would make it easier to get games on discs)
  • Discs are cheaper than SD Cards
  • Only the format is digital, signals are still analog to a point

Has anyone ever tried to get an Atari 8-bit to try to use a CD-ROM drive? I have plenty of those that are pulls from every PC I've owned. I also have plenty of old-school hard drives that would be nice to see work with an older Atari computer. Just my opinions and thoughts.

I'm posting a little bit late but better late than never. I am really surprised that someone has not thought of a way to convert one of these older disk drives into a CD-ROM drive yet. Why CD-ROM? For a few reasons.

• Every modern PC has a CD-ROM writer now (would make it easier to get games on discs)

Has anyone ever tried to get an Atari 8-bit to try to use a CD-ROM drive? I have plenty of those that are pulls from every PC I've owned. I also have plenty of old-school hard drives that would be nice to see work with an older Atari computer. Just my opinions and thoughts.

CDROM drives were either IDE or SCSI, different interface than a floppy. With that said there have been at least one commercial CDROM product for the Atari 8-bit(http://atariage.com/forums/topic/114001-megacd-cd-interface-for-the-atari/). There is also the possibility of connecting a SCSI CDROM drive via a Blackbox/MIO(or an IDE version via IDE+2.0), Mathy has been successful with the Blackbox/SCSI connection.

> I am really surprised that someone has not thought of a way to convert one of these older disk drives into a CD-ROM drive yet.

Did that a long while ago with a 1050. Not a challenge as a CD-ROM mechanic is almost an instant fit.

Working ones aren't that easy anymore. At least not here. Most are DVD drives.

DVD, not CD-ROM

Don't think so.

An 8GB SD-card (8192MB) is about 4 euro. 11 CDR's (7700MB) are about 4 euro so not a real difference in price but the SD-card has some major advantages, like physical size, wear protection and are instantly rewritable.

Depends on how deep you look at it. Technically, digital can only exist if the 4th dimension of time is excluded.

> Has anyone ever tried to get an Atari 8-bit to try to use a CD-ROM drive? I have plenty of those that are pulls from every PC I've owned. I also have plenty of old-school hard drives that would be nice to see work with an older Atari computer.

You can attach anything SCSI to a Black Box or MIO. Many of the stuff actually works instantly, some may need a driver.

Fox-1 is completely right. I have had CD ROM to my Atari 8bit a while, but it was far from convenient.

I'm extremely satisfied by todays solutions. There is a lot of choice and every device has it's pros and cons. I recently managed to obtain SDRIVE NUXX. Although it is limited in one way, it is by far the best looking external modern device ever created. It is also very easy to use.