IGNORED

Making a disk image ...

JJRambo

Hello All,

Just dug up my Atari 800xl from storage, and had a question i can't seem to have answered in newbie terms without spending nights i don't have to learn it all.

There is a few homebrew games my uncle made and some various disks i want to image to an .atr on my pc for use with an emulator. I have NO IDEA where to begin.

If someone will be so kind to elaborately and explicitly explain the steps on how to accomplish this.

I have a perfectly working artari and disk drive with planety of disks. First thing i am sure i will need is a device to hook from atari to PC correct? USB?

Thanks for replying, i found that page before, but as i stated, i have no idea which or what i need to buy out of all of that and how to use it

I suggest the SIO2PC/APE universal USB interface and APE PC software from Atarimax. The USB APE/PRO interface costs $60 + 6 ship. If you also register APE software fpr another $50, you will get a CD

with registered APE software to use with your interface. You can download a slightly disabled APE software for free. I believe the free APE trial doesn't allow writes from PC to Atari. The APE interface

allows you to use your PC as an intelligent, multiple, disk drives, using .ATR disk images. You can get a 16 megabyte .ATR image that will hold your copied ATRs. APE software will allow creating such a 16 meg ATR.

Off hand I only remember Atari software that makes .DCM (Bob Puff's Disk Communicator 3.2) images. Then you can find a PC utility to convert the DCM to an ATR, called 'imagic.com' also at

the Atarimax site.

I suggest the SIO2PC/APE universal USB interface and APE PC software from Atarimax. The USB APE/PRO interface costs $60 + 6 ship. If you also register APE software fpr another $50, you will get a CD

with registered APE software to use with your interface. You can download a slightly disabled APE software for free. I believe the free APE trial doesn't allow writes from PC to Atari. The APE interface

allows you to use your PC as an intelligent, multiple, disk drives, using .ATR disk images. You can get a 16 megabyte .ATR image that will hold your copied ATRs. APE software will allow creating such a 16 meg ATR.

Off hand I only remember Atari software that makes .DCM (Bob Puff's Disk Communicator 3.2) images. Then you can find a PC utility to convert the DCM to an ATR, called 'imagic.com' also at

the Atarimax site.

There's also ASPEQT.EXE instead of APE software. I don't know if aspeqt will work on a USB interface.

Edited by russg

the Atarimax site.

Thank you so much ... i will print this and get started. I will update my progess if these threads stay open!. Thanks everyone!

1. Start APE.

2. Create a blank .ATR disk in APE. It should match the disk you want to make as an .ATR. (130K/130K, 90K/90K, etc...)

3. Sector copy an Atari disk from your Atari to the new APE image on your PC.

4. You now have an .ATR of the Atari disk on your PC.

Bob

1. Start APE.

2. Create a blank .ATR disk in APE. It should match the disk you want to make as an .ATR. (130K/130K, 90K/90K, etc...)

Bob

Awesome ... is this once i get the SIO2PC/APE usb. Does APE run from the pc or atari?

Also ... since it's not cheap and i don't want to buy the wrong thing ... what am i buying exactly on this page as far as the periphial goes. i see the APE software

http://www.atarimax.com/sio2pc/documentation/index.html

What do i need? i have the SIO cable already. just need SIO USB ... so what is the exact product?

Edited by JJRambo

1. Start APE.

Bob

Yes. What sector copier do you recommend? My RW12 would make an .ATR. There's SpartaDOS SCOPY, which isn't real reliable. I could only think of Disk Communicator on the Atari side and imagic on the PC side.

Here you can find some sectorcopy atr's:

http://www.atarionline.pl/v01/index.php?ct=utils&sub=6.+Stacja+dyskietek&tg=Copymate+XE#Copymate_XE

http://gury.atari8.info/details_software/1469.htm

Every sectorcopy should be fine. Very easy to use is copymate xe:

a) Insert your real disk into your disk station

b) Mount the new generated ATR as D2: in APE

c) Set Source Disk as #1 and Destination Disk as #2 in copymate xe

d) Set the Density of your Source Disk (later versions of copymate are density smart, also other copy programs)

e) Format and Verify is not necessary

f) Press START, copy will start

ok the screen and step by step instructions were very nice thank you. The only question i have is if copymate xe is pare of APE?

I don't understand "is pare of", I assume you mean "is part of".

No it is not part of APE. It's a sectorcopy program. There are tons of other sectorcopy programs you can use. You have to boot it before processing the procedure I described before:

I) Mount copymate.atr as D1: in APE (Diskstation has to be switched off, because it is also D1; otherwise there will be a conflict)

II) Switch on the ATARI (with OPTION pressed to disable BASIC)

III) Unmount D1: in APE

IV) Switch on your Drive and continue with a)

If you have problems, don't be shy to ask in this forum. There are always some nice guys who are willing to help.

And you can always ask Steve from atarimax. He provides great service and support of his products.

No, ASPEQT works just fine with generic USB SIO2PC adapters. It's just that the version sold by Atarimax only works with the APE/Prosystem software.

I guess I should Google a USB SIO2PC adapter. I only know about 14C89 and Max232 single chip RS232 home brew SIO2PC. I still use a serial port APE/PRO adapter. I guess

somebody in Germany or Poland or other Euro makes and sells a USB SIO2PC.?

Oh, OK. I think ASPEQT may be just for a serial RS232 COM port adapter. serial ports went out.

Look to these sites also...at Atari Newbies..

If you want to run all existing software you have two solutions:

1 If you have and want a PC always near to your Atari you can buy

SIO2PC (AtariAge user classics, $60) and use it with APE Windows application (SIO2PC USB/RS232 version) or SIO2OSX Mac application (SIO2PC RS232 version)

SIO2PC-USB (AtariAge user sloopy, $30-45) and use it with AspeQt Windows application

SIO2SD/PC Combo (AtariAge user santosp, Euro 60, with case and SIO2SD) and use it with AspeQt Windows application

SIO2PC-RS232 (AtariAge user atari8warez, $32-42, lifetime warranty) and use it with APE or AspeQt Windows applications

With APE you can emulate not only disk drives but printers and modems too.