IGNORED

Best all-around joystick?

snakeboy

One thing that I love about the 2600 is how many joysticks are available for it, and one of the best things about collecting for it is trying out all the different controllers. And it's a good thing so many are available because it seems as though there is no such thing as the "perfect" 2600 joystick. No matter how great a stick seems to be, you always seem to come across games where its performance is only so-so and another controller works better.

So, I was wondering...

What do you think is the best all-around 2600 joystick, meaning which stick works the best for the largest variety of games. Or to put it another way, if you could only have one joystick the rest of your life to play your entire 2600 collection, what would it be?

For me, I guess I would have to say the Wico "bat handle" stick, but to sort of prove what I was saying earlier, this one isn't exactly perfect. For example, if I'm playing Dragonfire, I would much prefer my Competition Pro stick. But if I could have only one stick for all my games, I think I would go with the Wico.

What about you?

I agree, the Wico "Bat" handled one is the bast. I've been using one for decades and it's still going strong. Not that durability is my main criterion. The controller works well for me on the 2600 and A8.

I've tried a bunch of them over the years, and although I like many of them, I'd have to choose the venerable old CX-40 as the best overall joystick. There are some others (the Wico "Bat", the Epyx 500XJ, etc.) that I would consider to be "specialty joysticks", or well-suited for certain types of games, but the CX-40 is still the only one that "feels right" to me with most of them (for whatever that's worth). It's also a very easy controller to repair and to maintain.

I am a big fan of the 500XJ, though to be honest it is the only other joystick besides the CX-40 that I have. All the CX-40s feel very much their age and I like the solid positive feel the micro-swtiches in the 500XJ gives. The fact that it has a cord that is a usable length makes a huge difference.

I like the 500XJ too (noticed a few fellow fans in this thread) but it is a bit "gimmicky" for some. It's great for maze-type (Pacman-like) games, and the stick is very precise. However, for shoot-em-ups, the trigger is fatiguing to me.

For "ALL AROUND" I'd have to say the Suncom TAC-2.

Normal_tac2.jpg

It even has its own Wikipedia page which "my" above image is linked to. I have bought a few from Ebay over the years. Most are great, but one has a worn-out fire button.

The screws that hold it together are non-standard on the screw head. It's a square hole called a Robertson screw. I never opened mine to check it out; it was too easy

to grab another and game-on. (I also don't know where my Robertson screw driver is, although I think I have one).

The fire buttons are the same - the one of the right is for Lefties. Sometimes I bump it accidentally. If I ever open these up, I'll disable it.

Other than the standard Atari stick, I think this is the best all-around. But as someone alluded to earlier, I have a different preference for different games. This one's pretty good

at all, however.

(edit: The Wicos are well-made, but they seem kind of long-throw for my taste)

Edited by wood_jl
  • Like 4

One thing that I like about the Wico Command Control is that it is easy to open up and bend the switches closer together so that you can shorten the throw.

I do really like the TAC-2 as it has a great stick, but the buttons on mine aren't very responsive. I've actually been tinkering with it and "clamped" some strips of aluminum foil to the metal contacts for the fire buttons and (amazingly) it seems to have helped quite a bit. (And by the way, since we are on the subject of Suncom sticks, has anyone used the TAC-5 [seen here]. I've been curious about that one).

for me it really varies with the game, best all-around (on a budget,) for me is the wico bat-stick. For certain games, that need a fast response, the tac-2 is unmatched. Overall, (though, I have a feeling you would have a hard time getting it for less than $10 these days (got mine at a flea ages ago,) probably a lot more now,) the sansei is my all-around favorite.

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/32372-sansei-joystick-controller/

pic on bottom. Still haven't heard of any other owners...

(And by the way, since we are on the subject of Suncom sticks, has anyone used the TAC-5 [seen here]. I've been curious about that one).

I had one a few years ago. There wasn't anything wrong with it, but it didn't stand out as one of my favorites.

Has anyone used a Mindscape Power Player Joystick? eBay Auction -- Item Number: 1509975932121?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=150997593212&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

post-26714-0-75839100-1361850943_thumb.jpg

I am a big fan of both the Slik Stik and the Tac-2. I think that the Slik Stik gets me better scores and more comfort, though the Tac-2 is no slouch and feels much more awesomer with its size and such.

A close second would be the CX-40, it's simply a fantastic all-around controller.

Edited by Curious Sofa
  • Like 2

the tac-5 sucked, squishy and unresponsive compared to the good ones. the mindscape stick literally split it's shell from light use due to the torque. (and that was three brand new ones back in the day, when I bought it and returned it for a replacement,) It was ok when it worked. last one I duct taped together before using lasted a little longer.

I am a big fan of both the Slik Stik and the Tac-2. I think that the Slik Stik gets me better scores and more comfort, though the Tac-2 is no slouch and feels much more awesomer with its size and such.

A close second would be the CX-40, it's simply a fantastic all-around controller.

Now you have me wanting to try the Slik Stik, when I thought I had finished!! :) :) :)

I am a Gemstick fan. I think the button was a little larger than on the standard Atari stick. The Gemstick seemed to hold up a little better on Track and Field (A8) too. I had the slick stick too, but always preferred the Gem. Years later I got the 500XJ and it is great so long as you get used to the button placement.

• Like 1

I always have this one here plugged into my Atari:

1007877-1007877-1.jpg

It has a strong metal case - basically unbreakable. The stick itself is not extremely robust, so it needs a bit of a light hand. But so far it has survived in my possession since the end of the 80s with no problems. The great thing about this thing is the two paddles, which you can activate by flicking a switch. They are surprisingly accurate despite their small size. I love this thing because I don't have to strain my system's sockets by changing controllers all the time.

I got this picture from a german retro online shop. I was amazed - they want € 99 for that thing! While I don't think it's worth that much at all, I highly recommend you grab one of these if you happen to stumble across one in the wild.

(edit) the third potentiometer regulates the turbo fire speed.

Edited by karokoenig
  • Like 4

I like the 500XJ too (noticed a few fellow fans in this thread) but it is a bit "gimmicky" for some. It's great for maze-type (Pacman-like) games, and the stick is very precise. However, for shoot-em-ups, the trigger is fatiguing to me.

For "ALL AROUND" I'd have to say the Suncom TAC-2.

Normal_tac2.jpg

It even has its own Wikipedia page which "my" above image is linked to. I have bought a few from Ebay over the years. Most are great, but one has a worn-out fire button.

The screws that hold it together are non-standard on the screw head. It's a square hole called a Robertson screw. I never opened mine to check it out; it was too easy

to grab another and game-on. (I also don't know where my Robertson screw driver is, although I think I have one).

The fire buttons are the same - the one of the right is for Lefties. Sometimes I bump it accidentally. If I ever open these up, I'll disable it.

Other than the standard Atari stick, I think this is the best all-around. But as someone alluded to earlier, I have a different preference for different games. This one's pretty good

at all, however.

You can use a small flat head screwdriver that fits from corner to corner.

I always have this one here plugged into my Atari:

1007877-1007877-1.jpg

It has a strong metal case - basically unbreakable. The stick itself is not extremely robust, so it needs a bit of a light hand. But so far it has survived in my possession since the end of the 80s with no problems. The great thing about this thing is the two paddles, which you can activate by flicking a switch. They are surprisingly accurate despite their small size. I love this thing because I don't have to strain my system's sockets by changing controllers all the time.

I got this picture from a german retro online shop. I was amazed - they want € 99 for that thing! While I don't think it's worth that much at all, I highly recommend you grab one of these if you happen to stumble across one in the wild.

(edit) the third potentiometer regulates the turbo fire speed.

Wow. That thing's pretty cool. I imagine the chances of me coming across one in the U.S. are pretty much nil, though.

Now you have me wanting to try the Slik Stik, when I thought I had finished!! :):):)

And then there is the Starfighter stick, which is also made by Suncom and is very similar to the Slik Stik. I have three Suncom sticks - TAC-2, Slik Stik, and Starfighter - and they all have the same issue: the buttons just don't feel as responsive as they should. And the buttons on the Slik Stik and Starfighter are smaller than I would like. Still, aside from that, they seem very well made. The sticks on all of them are terrific - very responsive. Not sure if the button thing is common or I just got unlucky...

Now, if you want a joystick with great buttons, try the Competition Pro 5000. I would say that it's not quite as good an all-around stick as the Wico bat, but for games where you need to tap the button a lot and/or need quick 8-way movement, this one is the best I've used.

• Like 2

A good CX40 has never let me down. CX10s are even better.

TAC-2s and Slik Stiks/Starfighters (basically the same controller with a different faceplate, shaft, and a difference of a fire button) are good controllers but the button response tends to get flaky.

I never liked Wicos or Pointmasters; they're much too big, and have far too much throw in the stick. But they're well-made and a lot of people like them, so there you go.

And I'm in the minority here, but I like the Zircon Video Command. They're usually in some state of disrepair and are a royal pain to fix, though.

Now I'm wanting to try:

(1) Slik Stick

(2) Starfighter

(3) Competition Pro ($$$SPENDY! Why so?)

Curious if anybody here has tried the Mindscape Powerplayer?

post-16281-0-37856700-1361905389_thumb.jpg

Some place on Ebay had TONS of them (like more than 50) listed, brand-new in box late last year, and then pulled the listing, mysteriously. It looks like a take on the Epyx 500XJ.

Speaking of takes on the 500XJ, anybody try the Wico Ergostick?

post-16281-0-83447600-1361905388.gif

As I like the 500XJ (for some games!), I wonder if this is an improvement, at all?

As others have so indicated, I have the 500XJ for NES, Sega Master System, and Apple II. Never tried the Apple II yet. NES is good on some games. I can't stand the control disc on the Master System standard gamepad - it's extremely imprecise, so the 500XJ is a Godsend on that system.

Wow. That thing's pretty cool. I imagine the chances of me coming across one in the U.S. are pretty much nil, though.

You may be right there, I'm afraid. On my joystick the brand name is "Micro Händler" - which is german for Micro Merchant or Micro Trader. I guess it's an obscure small german company... That brand name is not printed on the one I posted, so there may be even different versions. To be honest, I don't even have a clue where I got a hold of that thing. You know how it was back in the days... a lot of diffusion going on between friends. Some games lent to someone, a joystick lent from someone... I lost a lot of my old Atari carts that way, but gained this joystick :-).

Oh, and... Competition Pro is awesome! I also have one of those from the 80s. I only plug that precious in when I'm up for a very serious game of Phoenix - or something similarly brilliant.

Edited by karokoenig
  • Like 1

read above for my take on the mindscape turd. The 'ergo' stick stuck to my hand and was uncomfortable (not very ergo.) Though, also, I've never been a fan of the claw grip and lock claw I get after using any of the 500xjish controllers.

Edited by Godzilla