IGNORED

US Dept. Homeland Security Destroys Shrink-wrapped Games

Smitty

Hello everybody!

Parcels are generally opened in Venezuela, but they can also be inspected in USA, Europe and Australia as the cases mentioned above. Currently, is more frequently that customs open the sealed games boxes than before, but this porcentage continue being low (about 5%).

Venezuelan sellers have provided to the whole world with rare and new old videogames stuff the last 10 years. Certeinly, there is a minimal risk - principaly with the inconstant postal service, its strong delays, etc. - but always worth for the great price and quality. Why the panic now?

I'm a Venezuelan vintage games seller

P.D.: Till now, the mediocre Venezuelan postal haven't lost any of my parcels sent across Registered Mail and less EMS. The service is bad, YES, but you'll surely receive your stuff in two weeks, one month, two months... or even five months! Best of all is that the 99% of them have arrived in excellent condition. The key is have a lot of patient and faith.

Edited by Eur3ka

Have you read the above posts and looked at the pictures?

Allan

Yes, I have. I share the same disappoinment as you and all in this forum. It is disgusting to see as customs destroy the items without any objection, but it isn't the 100% of the shipments from Venezuela. However, a 5% of items received damaged is still disturbing. I know those customers and they will receive their respective replacements.

Parcels are generally opened in Venezuela, but they can also be inspected in USA, Europe and Australia as the cases mentioned above. Currently, is more frequently that customs open the sealed games boxes than before, but this porcentage continue being low (about 5%).

How do you know the percentage is only 5%? Given the large number of forum members here who have posted their experiences (and sometimes photos) of packages being opened, I'd say the number is higher than that. I'm not saying the majority of packages are being opened, but it does seem to be a number higher than 5%.

..Al

About the 5% of the total of my shipments. Atariage is an important site of collectors and fans, but don't represent the total people that collect or buy games for Atari.

I never stated that AtariAge represents the majority of people who buy games for Atari systems. However, of AtariAge users who have bought games from Venezuela, it seems a fair number of them have had packages opened. Perhaps we should start a poll?

..Al

I never stated that AtariAge represents the majority of people who buy games for Atari systems. However, of AtariAge users who have bought games from Venezuela, it seems a fair number of them have had packages opened. Perhaps we should start a poll?

Sure, it would be very interesting

I don't know if i was one of your customers or not.

I bought from Ebay seller chevyfrank75 and when i messaged them about what happened, they did not message back. :(

I also haven't heard back from EdInTV/Eightiesvault regarding the large order of mine that just showed up mangled. Am I to assume that the sellers aren't planning on replacing the items or refunding what we paid? Given all the people who have posted here in the last few days, that 5% number is way low.

And a Cosmic Commuter of all games to slice open. That's a $200 game

Not really, and definitely not anymore. It headed south of $150 years ago, and with the overseas stash the value has gone down considerably (unless customs keeps destroying the boxes - maybe they want to keep the value high). Not a bad thing, all in all, because it is a rare game that is actually fun to play.

I'm pretty sure it's Venezuelan customs that does this to the packages. Never had it happen elsewhere. And almost none of mine that were messed up have had US Customs tape.

I have bought from Venezuela maybe 8 times and had this happen twice. Last order literally was postmarked 10/15 and it arrived about a week ago in good condition. It's the risk you take, and you have to try to stick to honest resellers. It's hard because they seem to change names every few months.

My understanding is that a distributor dumped their stock and a company in Venezuela bought it en masse. It has been leaking out from the storage unit down there ever since, probably with some of it being sold by resellers down there cheaply enough to be resold yet again on eBay. It's some pretty sweet stuff.

Sad how much is destroyed by customs. They make our morons look like moron geniuses.

Good riddens to Chavez.

Given the large number of forum members here who have posted their experiences (and sometimes photos) of packages being opened, I'd say the number is higher than that. I'm not saying the majority of packages are being opened, but it does seem to be a number higher than 5%.

Well, I dunno. I suspect a large degree of sample bias here. I would say that only the negative cases are being reported and throughly discussed, as it is happening right here and right now - while all the times everything goes fantastically well don't get attention. Who in his right mind would start a thread with the title "Got a game from venezuela and everything went fine".

Not trying to sound like a Venezuelan Game dealer commercial here. Just feeling obliged as a scientist to point out the sample bias :-)

• Like 1

There was very little delay in my case, the package was FedEx'd (I received the package in about a week), The package came nicely packed, I didn't know they cut the two games until I looked at them later that day. I had a total of 10 new games in one package and they f'd two of them up. I did send an email to the seller stating that he should put a notice on his auctions (that this has happened and that he's not responsible for damages done by customs). I see that some of his shrinkwrapped games are over $200 and climbing....I would be pissed If I paid that much and customs cut the box\games open.

I've only had something like this happen to me once.

I ordered some electronics components/microcontrollers from Thailand back in 2008. The package arrive to me late, opened, and re-sealed with green colored tape marked U.S. customs.

• 2 weeks later...

I received my second shipment and guess what? Yup...2 for 2....I'm batting 100%.... They were semi nice this time, they didn't open the 3 shrinkwrapped games, however they ripped open two non-sealed boxed games. I guess he didn't have his box cutter available. I don't understand...the game boxes are already opened, why rip them apart? BS!!!!!

This time the Homeland Security tape was dark blue. I bet they get training on how to destroy open items.

Letting y'all know...you take your chances.

I once ordered a PC game, the ones that come in those thick multiple CD jewel cases. The jewel case hinges were all cracked, and the case was cracked on both sides also. The game was packed in thick bubble wrap and packed in newspaper and peanuts. This seller packed things really well, bought from him before. The package went through Customs, as it was marked as so. Some Shmuck at Customs with butter fingers dropped the damn thing on the ground while checking it, quite obvious. I just replaced the cracked case with an extra one I had laying around. Couldn't be bothered wasting my time and elevating my blood pressure pursuing who did it at customs, it just falls on deaf ears, life goes on. :)

I once ordered a PC game, the ones that come in those thick multiple CD jewel cases. The jewel case hinges were all cracked, and the case was cracked on both sides also. The game was packed in thick bubble wrap and packed in newspaper and peanuts. This seller packed things really well, bought from him before. The package went through Customs, as it was marked as so. Some Shmuck at Customs with butter fingers dropped the damn thing on the ground while checking it, quite obvious. I just replaced the cracked case with an extra one I had laying around. Couldn't be bothered wasting my time and elevating my blood pressure pursuing who did it at customs, it just falls on deaf ears, life goes on. :)

What country did you order it from?

..Al

What country did you order it from?

..Al

This was quite a while ago. I order only from the U.S. or Canada. The PC games came from the U.S. i don't recall which State. They were checked by Canada Customs. Other than damaged items, U.S. customs has always been very professional and super nice with me. Canada customs? now that's a different story. I used to go to this nite club in Buffalo New york every weekend, and had no problems going into the U.S. But coming back into my own country, holy crap!!! I've never been in trouble with the law and these officers scared the crap out of me and made me nervous as hell. They put me up against a wall, patted me down, and swabbed my jacket for gun powder or drug residue i presume. I didn't say a DAMN word of course, just "YES SIR" "YES MA'AM" and "THANK YOU" and so on. I did ask a question, and the officer gave me a cold death stare and yelled "WHAT"? and did not even answer, just like something you'd see in a movie, seriously.