IGNORED

Gran Turismo 6

Reaperman

http://www.gtplanet.net/audio-released-of-sony-executives-gt6-on-ps3-comments/

So, the link above contains audio that suggest that Gran Turismo 6 is coming to PS3, and even that it will be later this year. I sure didn't expect either of those, and sure didn't expect the announcement to come with so little fanfare. What does everybody think of this?

I disliked GT5. It took forever to come out, and was probably the worst Gran Turismo game released--in many ways its own demo even surpassed it. It was a turd almost all the way through, but deep down in its awful UI and clumsy progression mechanics, there was an incredible racing experience. For that, they may get me to come back once more.

But if it's not on PS3--forget it. I'm not falling for the 'buy new hardware to play gran turismo' trick again.

• Like 1

Gran Turismo 5 was fun to drive. All the grinding I had to do is what killed it for me. It seems kinda weird that they'd release for the PS3 right when the PS4 is launching but it wouldn't surprise me if this is one of their streaming titles on the PS4 and they'll claim people can still play it there.

• Like 1

Hard to believe it's true, but if it is and it happens on time, I congratulate them. The year after year joke last time including a paid demo and the very inconsistent product that finally shipped was almost pitiful. Too much time was spent showing off backseats instead of making a game.

I've yet to install Gran Turismo 5 XL, but did they finally impliment leaderboards? Something very standard like that (I'm perhaps remembering incorrectly just what it was, but I think it was leaderboard functionality) was still missing even after all these patches despite being something the game supposedly was going to be shipped with. And I want to say it was even mentioned as a feature on the rear of the case.

• Like 1

I've yet to install Gran Turismo 5 XL, but did they finally impliment leaderboards? Something very standard like that (I'm perhaps remembering incorrectly just what it was, but I think it was leaderboard functionality) was still missing even after all these patches despite being something the game supposedly was going to be shipped with. And I want to say it was even mentioned as a feature on the rear of the case.

No leaderboards or matchmaking. My box still lists them as features, but I'm going to go ahead and guess that the XL version won't.

No shortage of things to pick on in GT5 though--it's almost hard to decide on a worst part. I'd say it was probably the loading between menu screens that got me. I don't need full-detail 3d models in the background of those.

Edited by Reaperman

It seems kinda weird that they'd release for the PS3 right when the PS4 is launching...

For what it's worth, GT2 hit the first PlayStation in 1999, and GT4 hit the PS2 in 2005 (2004 in Japan). Granted, that's not quite as close to the next generation as GT6 will be, assuming it does get a PS3 release, but still, it seems to have become tradition that each generation gets two releases, one of which comes at the tail end.

I wonder if they're still going to brag about how many cars the game ships with or if they'll instead go to the DLC model of Forza where the cars are already on the disc but you have to pay extra to play them.

Whoa! Hold the phone! I did not know about this. Major neg! Which of the Forza titles does this, or has this been the deal, all along?

I'm not big on having to pay to download content that was removed from a $60 game, to have you purchase it already. But when it was NOT removed from the game and actually on the disc, that's an even bigger slap in the face. I love the Forza games, but this kind of stuff turns my stomach. Is this the new norm? Sours me on modern gaming.

• Like 1

You're just going to have people that think modern gaming can do no wrong jumping in and telling you that even though it's on the disc, it's only part of the package you paid $60 plus tax for if they wanted it to be part of it, how it's more convenient this way since all you're downloading is an unlock key, etc.

On the bright side, Forza games still have hundreds of cars and really only have a handful of different categories of handling where the physics are concerned. Unless there's a specific vehicle in a DLC pack that you really want, they're easily done without for the most part. And if you wait a while, the tradition has been for a budget rerelease to arrive down the road with all the DLC already unlocked. Forza 2 did this (And that was back when they made DLC tracks... something they should focus their efforts on instead of adding dozens of cars to a game with hundreds of them already but precious few tracks) as well as Forza 3 (Although there was a final DLC pack afterwards not included due to the timeline difference... but you got most of it out of the box). I'm sure Forza 4 will see something similar before much more time rolls by since the game will be two years old this Fall (And I imagine Forza 5 will be a Xbox 720 launch title since the series has been on a two year release schedule since the beginning).

What sucks is they seem to like to sneak a few unique things into their DLC packs. Where as you likely could do without additional 1990's/2000's passenger vehicles from Honda, they like to include things like classic cars, oddities like AMC vehicles, and similar things into their DLC packs that are different from the norm that differentiate themselves from the hundreds of cars that came with the game that can be grouped into a handful of categories in regards to things like the feel of the physics.

I'd gladly though take just 50 cars if I could get a dozen more tracks for one of these games. Not nearly enough track variety in these games. I guess I'm not their target audience since I play these games to race rather than to collect the cars, look at the vehicles in all of their 3D glory, and put fake upgrades on to them.

Edited by Atariboy

Whoa! Hold the phone! I did not know about this. Major neg! Which of the Forza titles does this, or has this been the deal, all along?

I'm not big on having to pay to download content that was removed from a $60 game, to have you purchase it already. But when it was NOT removed from the game and actually on the disc, that's an even bigger slap in the face. I love the Forza games, but this kind of stuff turns my stomach. Is this the new norm? Sours me on modern gaming.

It was probably Forza 4 that had a car pack I paid for that was immediately ready to use instead of me downloading it. That irritated me. They could have at least pretended it wasn't already done by making me download it.

Otherwise, the Forza games are fine without any of the DLC. They have a ton of cars already.

As for new tracks, they cost too much money to develop compared to throwing several new cars into a game to make it "fresh".

• 2 years later...

GT6 is getting a course maker.

https://www.gtplanet.net/gran-turismo-6-course-maker/

- Released as a free App on mobile devices on Sept 30.
- Tracks created in the app will be saved to PSN and loaded to GT6
- Four different geological locations (Andalusia, Death Valley, Eifel, Eifel Flat)
- Full control of the shape and layout of the course, can set road width and the banking of corners.
- Can place plants, trees, buildings, signs, tents, and grandstands around the circuit.
- Curbing can be placed in custom areas along edge of the track (Not available for all locations).
- When loaded to GT6, can test drive the track, use it in Arcade Mode, Open Lobby online events, or share it with friends.

Sounds very promising. Now will we ever get the new sounds that we were promised?

• 1 month later...

For those like myself that have been waiting for this to be cheap, now's your chance. Not only can it be easily found for $15 new from a variety of sources, GameStop's Black Friday ad has it down for $5 in a few weeks for a new copy of the game.

Isn't going to ever get any cheaper.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

For those like myself that have been waiting for this to be cheap, now's your chance. Not only can it be easily found for $15 new from a variety of sources, GameStop's Black Friday ad has it down for $5 in a few weeks for a new copy of the game.

Isn't going to ever get any cheaper.

I'm glad I waited, thanks for the heads up. I finally bought it today, will be picking it up today or tomorrow and trying it out for myself. Would be cool to try out the course maker.

• 1 year later...