IGNORED

Lord British Presents

"Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtue is the first of a 5 game series of full-length, stand-alone games (each using the same game system), referred to as Episodes 1 through 5. Estimated availability of Episode 1, Forsaken Virtues, is October 2014, with Episodes 2 through 5 estimated for subsequent yearly releases."

*scratches head*

Edited by Christophero Sly

"Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtue is the first of a 5 game series of full-length, stand-alone games (each using the same game system), referred to as Episodes 1 through 5. Estimated availability of Episode 1, Forsaken Virtues, is October 2014, with Episodes 2 through 5 estimated for subsequent yearly releases."

*scratches head*

Because today he doesn't have the time, imagination or money to make 5 actually different games. Who do you think he is? Lord British?!?

They're kinda making it unclear how these are stand-alone games and yet episodes. Are they different games? Can we import characters from previous episodes? How is this a brave new world if it's cut up into seperate pieces?

I think the term "episodes" is poor, but it sounds like they will be five standalone games if you want to play solo. I'm guessing that if you want to engage in the persistent world, that these new "episodes" will be added to the existing world in some fashion. I think they did mention that you'll be able to travel between the different episodes. I imagine that you will be able to use your existing character in each subsequent game, although I'm not sure how that works if you've built up a super powerful character. That would be a good question to ask directly.

..Al

Because I'm puzzled by the sudden announcement that this project is quintupling in size to encompass five standalone games, one each year until 2018, with each one selling at full retail price.

I'm glad to hear this, meaning he has a plan for a five game story arc, rather than just a single Ultima. I'm excited that I'll get to play "new" Ultima games for the next five years! :D

I have a bit of time to catch up on all the original Ultimas. :)

..Al

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I haven't done much with the Ultima series outside of Exodus and Quest of the Avatar. My most modern venture into gaming includes the original Playstation and a tiny bit of the Wii. That being said...

I was hoping that the controls would be a little more like the original Tomb Raider. I really disliked having to control the camera in addition to the character and that they seemed to be disconnected. Is this common with more recent games? [i'm on an Atari board here, anything Halo, WoW, Call of Duty is all lost on me] Will a playstation-like controller be possible at some point? What recommendations do you have for playing PC-based games?

How will the fighting take place if it isn't turn-based? If in single-player mode will you be able to assemble a part like in Ultima III or IV?

Thank you for your patience and excuse my ignorance of most video games developed in the last 15 years.

Will a playstation-like controller be possible at some point? What recommendations do you have for playing PC-based games?

How will the fighting take place if it isn't turn-based? If in single-player mode will you be able to assemble a part like in Ultima III or IV?

Thank you for your patience and excuse my ignorance of most video games developed in the last 15 years.

After playing the alpha my hopes are slightly dashed but I also enjoyed just talking with the NPC's like the old Ultima's. It felt like I was playing Ultima 9 along with a mix of Ultima Online and not necessarily and old Ultima. Mary is in the village still tending to sheep and the dialog's harken back to old Ultima's but that's about it.

Combat: https://shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/lets-talk-about-combat.4094/

Controls: I use an XBox 360 controller along with Xpadder. Xpadder maps keys and mouse controls and works well for some games that dont support controllers. The Ultima team said its possible to play the game with a controller and using Xpadder or JoytoKey.

These days I rarely use a keyboard or mouse and I recommend an Xbox 360 controller along with Xpadder or JoytoKey. Learn how to use those as its really worth it.

Also visit GOG.com. They are probably most responsible for bringing me back to PC gaming.

I didn't get a chance to play this first Alpha, but you can bet I'll get in on the next one. I did watch some gameplay (well, if you can call it that) videos. Obviously it's pretty early Alpha since there's not much you can really do! I was amused by the conversation system, as that harked back to the days of old. I really don't care about the online aspect of the game at all, so I really hope they stick to their plan to deliver a solid single-player experience.

..Al

I didn't get a chance to play this first Alpha, but you can bet I'll get in on the next one. I did watch some gameplay (well, if you can call it that) videos. Obviously it's pretty early Alpha since there's not much you can really do! I was amused by the conversation system, as that harked back to the days of old. I really don't care about the online aspect of the game at all, so I really hope they stick to their plan to deliver a solid single-player experience.

..Al

Yeah...the conversations can be like Ultima III, IV, V etc. They highlight keywords you can ask about but it also recognizes classic keywords like 'job', 'health', 'name' etc.

My hopes were slightly dashed cause it looked\felt like Ultima 9 which was a little clunky. I know this is a Kickstarter and I'm not expecting Skyrim graphics and of course it's an early Alpha release so I shouldn't be too discouraged.

Been waiting so long for a single player Ultima, I can't help it. I want it to be good.

Yeah, I was am a Collector level pledge.

I think they mentioned that it would be gamepad compatible, which is one reason why I think I might actually play it.

Although I like online stuff, I am scared off by the hardcore quotient of persistent worlds because my time commitment falls squarely in the casual realm. I fear I'll be a second class citizen because I don't have a billion hours to dedicate to the game.