IGNORED

Lord British Presents

This update was just sent out to backers of the Kickstarter and also posted on the Kickstarter Update page and addresses some questions raised:

"3 days into the Kickstarter and we’ve been receiving tons of great feedback, probably more than we received in the last year through our social campaign to find out what people want! Based on one of the most common concerns, we’re making a few small changes.

First, the game can be played offline, no connection required. The character used for the offline version of the game will not be useable in the online version of the game for obvious exploit/hacking reasons. We are going to investigate ways to export your online character to the single player version of the game but the offline character will not be importable into the online version.

Second, the offline single player version of the game for those who purchase it through KickStarter will not use any form of DRM. We had been holding off on committing to that because we don’t know what our final distribution system (Steam, GOG, etc) is going to be and some of them use DRM. We may have DRM of some sort on post-KS sales but we’ll commit to keeping KS versions DRM and “phone home” free for the single player version once launched.

Third, the offline single player of the game will not have any microtransactions. We know this is kind of a no-brainer since it is offline but we wanted to be perfectly clear on that since there was some vagueness in a few statements in one of our video chats.

Also, we’ll get some more exciting news about swag to you in writing tomorrow. We thought hour long video chats were the best way to answer questions but we’re finding we really need more written updates. Also, for those that prefer in depth videos we’ll get another hour long video chat setup this week!"

Another update posted today, which gives a lot more info about the game modes that you can play: "

Today's update is brought to you by Chris Spears, Tech Director for Shroud of the Avatar.

Shroud of the Avatar has an innovative Selective-Multi-player system, which allows players to select the play experience they want; from a completely offline solo player mode, through a solo player online mode where you can view and contribute to the persistent world, multi-player online modes where you can select whom you explore the game with. We think this lets people play the game in a way that can feel very much like a traditional MMO, or solo player as they desire.

Here are the ways we anticipate the game can be played:

Single player offline:

This is the DRM free, completely off-line version of the game. Your character is stored on your computer and can not be used in any of the online modes.

Single Player Online (SPO)

In the SPO mode you connect to the server, receive content updates, and can see the long term changes others are having on the world. However, you are not visible on anyone else’s screen, nor for grouping, and you don’t see anyone else in the world. You can switch from SPO to FPO or OPO modes whenever you like while in a city or overland map. Some parts of the main storyline quests may temporarily force the player into SPO mode for some parts of the quest.

Friends Play Online (FPO)

In friends play online, you only see people you have flagged as friends in the game and only they can see you. Like single player, this is just a server side filter. For those who prefer the quieter game with friends or maybe for those who prefer a more focused role playing experience, this lets you enjoy a more limited online experience. You can switch to SPO or OPO modes whenever you like while in a city or in the overland map.

Open Play Online (OPO)

In OPO players will see everyone that the server thinks they should see. This will not necessarily be all people in the area but should be people you care the most about based on what we believe is their relevance to you.

For the most part, OPO will feel like an MMO. Lots of social interaction options with friends and other players. We are trying to distinguish ourselves from traditional MMOs only in that, unlike a normal MMO players are frequently connected directly to each other instead of all data flowing through our servers. We believe this will provide numerous advantages to both players and our service, but does differ from a traditional MMO in that the upper limit of players simultaneously on one map may be restricted"

I like the amount of options they have that will let players decide how they want to play. However, I'm a little concerned about whether or not it'll have an impact on how well any (or all) of those modes turn out. Let's how they know what they're doing! :)

Earlier today they added additional features that will be added to the game if they reach $1.1 million, $1.2 million, etc. My guess is they hit $1.5 million since they still have 19 days to go, but maybe funding will slow down quite a bit now, I don't know. If they add compelling carrots, that may encourage people to contribute more. :)

..Al

Earlier today they added additional features that will be added to the game if they reach $1.1 million, $1.2 million, etc. My guess is they hit $1.5 million since they still have 19 days to go

Well, Tim Schafer (Double Fine) only asked for $400K but raised $3.3M, and Project Eternity by Obsidian Entertainment asked for $1.1M and raised $3.9M... I have never even heard of Obsidian Entertainment (which does not mean much), so how they pulled that off I don't know. Maybe they are better known by the younger generation, but I was christened in the 80's. Their updates are pretty weak too, IMO.

I would hope that someone like Richard Garriott would be able to pull in as much as either Double Fine or Obsidian. Richard and company need to scream and shout about the Kickstarter project. I only found out about it by random chance because I wandered over to this subforum to see what might be going on. I don't go looking for such things per se, but the Double Fine Kickstarter seemed to be everywhere and I had several friends tell me about it within hours after it started.

I will be cool to have another Lord British game though! I better go make my pledge. Let's see, $15K should do it. ;-) Heh, I wish. More like $15K/100.

One question. Why is this in Classic Computing if it doesn't run on classic hardware?

FWIW, there are many other classic game developers still involved in the release of new games on modern machines and I don't see those posted under Classic Computing.

One question. Why is this in Classic Computing if it doesn't run on classic hardware?

FWIW, there are many other classic game developers still involved in the release of new games on modern machines and I don't see those posted under Classic Computing.

Its Ultima related it belongs here besides nobody knew what the announcement would be.

Unless someday Albert gives Ultima a special place at Atari Age. :P

No big deal. Someone can move it.