IGNORED

RCA Studio II GOLD MINE! An interview with the Studio 2 Production Manager!

Sometimes, I feel like an imbecile around all of the amazing talent that gets exhibited on this site.

Nice job Kevtris. (I mean on the FPGA S2, not on making me feel like like an imbecile :))

Hehe thanks.

but can you make your FPGA S2 output colour like the clones? :)

Yes, I wanted to do this, but I don't think it's documented anywhere and the games haven't been dumped? I can easily add it if I only knew how!

Does it support PAL video as well ?

It can- if all it involves is adjusting the counter value for more than 262 scanlines. I do support hybrid modes though for the other consoles- PAL 60 directly and I can do PAL 50 using a framebuffer to do the 6:5 pulldown.

Yes, I wanted to do this, but I don't think it's documented anywhere and the games haven't been dumped? I can easily add it if I only knew how!

There is a tiny tiny bit of info on Paul's old page: #6 The colour machine:

http://www.robsons.o...o2/techinfo.htm

The cartridge 'Biorhythm' is actually a colour title (even the US version)

The Math fun dump for the MPT-02 is also in colour

Edited by TLD1985

Another new game. Asteroids :) Somewhat challenging this one, lots of things moving about the screen. No UFO and the controls work slightly differently (push to move not thrust in zero G)

http://www.robsons.o...k/asteroids.zip

asteroids.png

Awesome work Paul! This game translates very well to the RCA S2! Great job translating the control scheme as well. The black and white graphics work well in this one, reminiscent of the arcade game. This is great fun. Thank you for cranking out these fun S2 games. Looking forward to playing these on the console.

• Like 1

Well the Apollo 80 carts arrived today.

They are just the same plastic shells the other euro-clones use.

Manuals are definitely the cheapest of all the clone systems.

The text on them is ripped from the Victory system to the point that the manual for speedway/tag still mentions the word "Victory".

I'll post scans/photos soon.

• Like 2

20200 on my first play.

It's surprisingly fun. Now, if somebody builds a multi-cart...

Do you think it is too easy ? It can a lot quicker than it does at the start (it gets harder as you go on, more asteroids etc.)

Maybe I should add a difficulty switch ?

There is about 130 bytes left in that cartridge so it's not hard to tinker. Pacman has about 8 bytes left which is why the score appears at the top rather than in the middle - it wouldn't fit otherwise :)

I don't know that I'd say it's too easy. I don't know what score would be expected. I can say that it wasn't a focused, concerted effort on my part to achieve that score and I'm not a particularly skilled gamer if that helps your assessment.

I wouldn't mind seeing the score after losing each ship. I have no clue if you can fit that in.

Using WinStem (downloaded with GamePack):

I never did get Kaboom to work. I couldn't get the buckets to move. I could get the game started, but it ended pretty quickly.

I can get Invaders to move left/right, but can't get it to shoot.

I assume both of those are supposed to use just the left keypad controls. Is it just me having these issues?

I trust that I'm not the only one to see this auction so far:

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 1908199713781?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=190819971378&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

To note, this is different from the one I have, which also came from Australia (and may have even been from the same seller). I do not know if the actual game itself will have any differences, either. The last thing I want is for many of us here to be unwittingly bidding up the price of this cart against each other- which is why I will refrain from bidding on this cart. To note, my max bid on the CIB copy of the Sheen version of the Star Wars Game that sold a year ago was $150 before shipping charges, and that auction ended at nearly that. Though this is a loose cart, those of us here who really want this game should be prepared to bid at least that much, as I can confirm that Star Wars collectors (including some I know who've made offers for my CIB Sheen copy) will also be paying attention to this auction.

And though it isn't relevant, the seller also has a huge amount of Australian Mega Drive CIB titles as well- I was impressed by the selection!

I trust that I'm not the only one to see this auction so far:

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 1908199713781?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=190819971378&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

To note, this is different from the one I have, which also came from Australia (and may have even been from the same seller). I do not know if the actual game itself will have any differences, either. The last thing I want is for many of us here to be unwittingly bidding up the price of this cart against each other...

I saw that earlier too and was going to bid (I'm just watching right now), but I'm concerned about the state of the connector pins. They look quite worn. Untested, I just don't know if it can be trusted (for me).

I saw that earlier too and was going to bid (I'm just watching right now), but I'm concerned about the state of the connector pins. They look quite worn. Untested, I just don't know if it can be trusted (for me).

Yeah, I noticed the connectors as well. I wouldn't be too concerned though- I've been able to play other Studio II carts with much worse pins than those. And some of it seems to be the way the camera lighting hit it. The cart should be fine for getting a dump from if one of us here wins it.

I wouldn't be concerned about the pins either... they look ok to me.

also the clone games aren't exactly easy to get hold of...

No kidding- this is only the third copy of ANY of the Star Wars Game(s) I've seen on Ebay in the past 6 years. The first was a loose tan-colored cart back around 09 that went for just over 100, they also had an identical Concentration Match cart. The next copy was the CIB Sheen copy I won with my final sniping bid of $150 when it was at 2.5 seconds. The end price was $145 US dollars, and that auction ended at a terrible time on a Wednesday. I think the seller is the same one who is selling the current loose cart- it might well be worthwhile to drop him a line and ask if he has any other Studio II clone carts.

The leading edges of those contacts do look pretty crappy until you see that they just look like the bevel was cut into the edge of the circuit board by some manual process. The part that will actually make connections with the socket look good enough.

Having said that, you guys don't have to worry about me bidding it up. I'm way too cheap to pay anything like $150 for something like this. :)

The wonderful 1802 is a fairly slow microprocessor. One of the reasons that 2000 Invaders works so well on the Studio II is because it was written in native 1802 machine language. The original games for the Studio II were games running in an interpreter. Helps explain the glacial pace of some of the games.

The Studio II could definitely use a homebrew community. The console is more capable than probably realized.

• Like 1