IGNORED

Post #100 - A belated introduction

Oscar G.

Hello guys,

I am celebrating my 100th post in AA. I arrived here a couple of months ago invited by dZ-Jay and Liduario to join in the fun of the Carol vs World competition. Suffice to say I really enjoyed the camaraderie of the forum tread and the excitement surrounding the competition. This was my first participation in a forum and I thought that after the competition the interest would wane and I would stop following "Intellivision Age" in AA.

I was so wrong! I am still here and I have been enjoying every single moment of it. In particular, I have been drawn to the HSC. However, I have been exploring other main INTV treads. I have learned a lot and I am very thankful with all of you (even if I still don't quite understand some of the inner jokes and in-between-the-lines comments of some of the members of the 'hood).

Some of the things that I have learned by hanging out here:

+ I learned that collecting variants is like a highly contagious virus, even if you say that you are immune to it suddenly you may sneeze.

+ I learned (with the kind help of some kind forum members) how to set up an Intellivision emulator.

+ I have been in contact with programmers of high caliber INTV games (e.g. Carl M. or DZ) and I have discovered that they are extremely kind and down to earth.

+ I have enjoyed some of Intvdude's videos… :)

… and a big etc. This site is so cool so I plan on being here for a while. So to celebrate my 100th posting I'm adopting a new profile image inspired by my favourite INTV game (thanks Janzl) and, a little bit belatedly, let me introduce myself.

I have been an INTV fan since the early 80's and I was lucky enough to have played almost all the pre-crash games in my native Mexico. I traded all my Intellivision collection for a recently-released NES and games (multi-console gaming was a dream in the 80s, specially in an economical struggling country like mine). Although I thoroughly enjoyed the later generation consoles, the INTV was the console closest to my heart.

Fast forward, 20 years later and having started a new life on the other side of the Atlantic (a.k.a. PAL-landia), I made my first trip to London, UK and saw a huge INTV lot in a charity stop and the rest is history. I have been collecting ever since. I discovered the post-1983 masterpieces and I almost have a full set. However, I hadn't thoroughly played since my childhood until Carol, D2K and the HSC. Playing again has been a therapeutic experience as it has helped me to forget about the niggles of collecting and focus on what is more important: simply enjoy the fantastic games. One word of advice, no matter where you are in the XX/125 quest or variants… don't forget to play!

A big thank you to all of you and cheers.

Oscar G.

• Like 12

Well done! Hell of a way to do a 100th post.

Couldn't have said it any better. Great post. I've watched with astonishment at the scores you and Liduario have been putting up, great to hear you're finding time to play. My best wishes that the variant bug does not find you. :) (Unless you want it to...)

• Like 1

Couldn't have said it any better. Great post. I've watched with astonishment at the scores you and Liduario have been putting up, great to hear you're finding time to play. My best wishes that the variant bug does not find you. :) (Unless you want it to...)

I am keeping my immune system up by playing! Living in Belgium also helps as there is not too much variant temptation as in the US. BTW you have a beautiful collection. I loved your Tron pics.

Hi Oscar,

Congrats on your 100th post. We have met now twice on the retrofairs in Belgium and Holland and it was a pleasure! :)

I have just started here on the AA-inty forum and am really enjoying it. Doing much reading and catching up on info on the Intellivion. A lot to read and a loooot to collect haha. I haven't been bitten by the variant bug yet but the CIB bug sure is bugging me! :)

I think I have 19 CIB's now and lot's of partly complete or loose games. I have made an online list of my collection: http://videopac.nl/intv/

I am in contact with a friend form Brasil. He is looking into getting me a Brazilian 'Dreadnaught Factor' as this should be a PAL variant. I will let you know if this one will work on a European Intellivision I.

Cheers!

• Like 1

@Oscar G and @Janzl: If you are going to AC2013 in France next month come over and say "Hi" because I'll be entering the 24 hour coding contest there along with a few others from the UK. I don't know which machine I'll be entering the contest with yet (could be 7800, jag or Inty). It depends what the theme of the contest is and what ideas I have for it.

• Like 1

Thanks for the heads up GroovyBee. It may be a little bit too late for me to organise a trip to France at this moment but nevertheless I would appreciate if you could pm me some of the basic info about the event. Thanks again and I will see you around! Cheers.

The AC events are run by RGC (Retro-gaming Connexion). They have a few forums on Yaronet here which are in French (with some English). It was a fun weekend event last year.

There is also eJagFest which is in Germany later in the year (around November time). Quite a few people go to that for Atari Jaguar stuff but there are other machines there as well.

The biggest event in the UK is Play Expo (in October). Last year over 5000 people attended Play Expo on the Saturday alone.

Although AC20xx and eJagFest are much smaller than Play Expo they are fun events to attend and you get to meet people from the forums you talk to and also to see the latest homebrews on a variety of platforms (and try them out) as well.

• Like 1

Great post and a belated welcome also from me (I haven't been overly active lately...)!

Indeed we should never stop playing these classics: actually, I finally had a good relaxing Sunday playing Lady Bug on our favorite good ol' machine! ;)

Cheers!

Roberto

• Like 1

I haven't been here too long myself, but I'd like to think I can still say welcome. I had taken a long break from Intellivision until late last year. It feels good to be playing again, and I can't believe I was away from it for so long. You've put up some great scores in the short time you have been here. Cheers to many more!

• Like 2