IGNORED

XEVIOUS disassy & game

Blue Azure

Thanks guys (and gals?) for all your responses. I'm sorry I've been out-of-pocket for so long but I had a funeral to go to. Second one this year already. Flights coast-to-coast-coast and nothing nonstop anymore. But I got the batteries recharged and got a lot of work done on the airplane trips. FOOD FIGHT disassy is complete and I have a NTSC game up and running. Release on FOOD FIGHT tomorrow, on schedule on a Monday.

Now I'm seeing some emotions running on here. All is OK. This isn't a competition. We all have the common interest: 7800. We do what we can do when we can do what we can do. If you're getting frustrated, simply take a breather. We're all here next week, next month, etc. I have a full schedule without this Atari stuff, I'm just working double shifts for the interim, cuz I love all I do. I'm liking what I'm seeing on this board. We're getting past the disassemblies and starting to look at the audio tracks and start-up screens. I think it would be cool to be able to modify the start-up title screen on any of the original 10 games. But how to do it? And Walter is waiting for his Super Mario art on Scapyard Dog. Anyone got art for him?

Now Walter has created this Zevious mockup for me. I think it's great for the 1984 version. The "Z" looks a little white and I'm not sure how to add shading to it. There's one pixel of grey on the upper part fo the Z and I think you left it there for me to find it and fix it. And the shadow to the left of the Z has some legacy of the X still there. So why don't you finish this up Walter? It seems like you're close!

post-34769-0-44998200-1363558426_thumb.jpg

How are you doing this? Are you using Photo Chop to do this in analog mode, or are you actually doing this in the raw binary? I need to go Back2School on this. I'm not sure how this is so easy, if it is.

KevinMos3 came up with this and this is super cool...

post-34769-0-27044200-1363559225_thumb.jpg

Now I love this Z mock-up for the 1986 version of code, but how do you port this to the code?

post-34769-0-22070000-1363559537_thumb.jpg

And I'd like to simulate the arcade version by splashing only the Zevious word & graphics on the the screen while the attract mode is scrolling in the background. But I think this is probably beyond just about everyone on here. That's TOUGH.

Sorry I gotta run right now, but I'll be back tomorrow. ///BLUEman///

Kevin, I was wondering, can the title art be modified to say, "Super Xevious"?

Sure! You could make it say anything. :)

I'm done with it for now. I may come back to it later once I'm settled into my new place if there is need.

Now I'm seeing some emotions running on here.

I must have missed that.

And Walter is waiting for his Super Mario art on Scapyard Dog. Anyone got art for him?

What kind of "art"? If you're looking for sprites, there are websites with sprites ripped from tons of games. I downloaded some SMB sprites from one a while back. I don't know the address off-hand, but it should be easily found with a search. Or... do you mean some other kind of art?

I use for my hacks a program called Tilemolester 0.16

I'll have to check that out. :) It's gotta be easier than hex editing.

And last but not least:

Here's an update to the Xevious hack I posted before. I've made a thread for it in the 7800 hacks forum (the barren desert where everything goes to die), but at least it's now in its proper place instead of hijacking your thread. ;)

You'll also find a Galaga hack there that I just posted.

Keep up the good work BlueAzure. I look forward to seeing what you can do with this game. The invincibility was already a nice treat.

Sure! You could make it say anything. :)

I'm done with it for now. I may come back to it later once I'm settled into my new place if there is need.

I must have missed that.

What kind of "art"? If you're looking for sprites, there are websites with sprites ripped from tons of games. I downloaded some SMB sprites from one a while back. I don't know the address off-hand, but it should be easily found with a search. Or... do you mean some other kind of art?

I'll have to check that out. :) It's gotta be easier than hex editing.

And last but not least:

Here's an update to the Xevious hack I posted before. I've made a thread for it in the 7800 hacks forum (the barren desert where everything goes to die), but at least it's now in its proper place instead of hijacking your thread. ;)

Keep up the good work BlueAzure. I look forward to seeing what you can do with this game. The invincibility was already a nice treat.

Hi Kevin

i am looking for Mario enemies sprites,which should be possible on the 7800

greetings Walter

*****************************************************************************************************

And last but not least:

post-9364-0-68805900-1363628616_thumb.png post-9364-0-45238800-1363628626_thumb.png

bin.gif Xevious (Title+Color Edit).a78 32.13K 0 downloads

bin.gif Xevious (Title+Color Edit).bin 32K 0 downloads

**************************************************************************************

why link something then lock it down???

Edited by NIKON

Hi Gambler, looks like you did a lot on this Z mockup, changing all that detail into blue. The only changes I would make to this now is the one line above the middle of the U needs to be touched up and I would add 2 lines of grey onto the horizontal lines of the Z as the Z looks too white. You've done a great job on it. THX, BLUE

post-34769-0-88881000-1363820991_thumb.jpg

Hi Walter,

Here's what your latest looks like. The "V" is fixed and the double line grey on the Z reduces the white, maybe too much. It's fine, I can use this on the 1984 Zevious version. I notice it's on-screen for 20 seconds before the attract mode kicks off and for most people it should be fine.

post-34769-0-30989600-1364170117_thumb.jpg

Hi Kevin,

I hope to flip your opinion on your work. I'd like to use yours on a future 1986 Zevious version. How is it you don't like your Zevious mock-up? Cuz I loved it. I know you're busy, so am I. Take your time and we can mull it over later. If I knew how to take your photo and import it to the binary, but have no idea how to do it.

///BLUEman///

• 5 weeks later...
Hi Kevin

i am looking for Mario enemies sprites,which should be possible on the 7800

greetings Walter

Hi Walter,

I was just thinking of your request here, so I looked up the site I mentioned before. It's called http://www.spriters-resource.com and it has sprite rips for all the NES Mario games & more. Here is a link to the "S" section which contains all the "Super Mario (1,2,3)" sprites.

• 7 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/30/2020 at 11:13 AM, Synthpopalooza said:

I have been wondering ...

How difficult would it be to hack Xevious into the NES shooter game Zanac?  The graphics and font aren't that different... and I kinda already have the POKEY music

You have the POKEY music already for Zanac or Xevious?  Mind you, there already is a POKEY version of Xevious in the form of the 5200 version of the game. I didn't see anyone reference it earlier in this ancient thread.

• 3 years later...
24 minutes ago, Stechmann said:

is there a version that supports the second button for dropping bombs?

I haven’t played XEVIOUS in the 7800 for a while (couple of years, actually) but isn’t that controlled by the difficulty switch setting?