IGNORED

Incognito post-install problem

adam242

No. But as there is no SDX especially for Incognito I just have that voice in mind saying "Incognito technically is like Ultimate, use that one", but I can´t find the corresponding thread. All other devices I have now run SDX 4.46, but I can´t manage to update the incognito yet.

You are correct that the same U1MB SDX ROM can be used in Incognito, but the flasher can not.

However, I am getting closer to completing the Incognito flasher :)

You are correct that the same U1MB SDX ROM can be used in Incognito, but the flasher can not.

However, I am getting closer to completing the Incognito flasher :)

Ahh, ok. That means, you are writing a flasher, so that I can easily put SDX 4.46 onto my Incognito? That would be great. As all my other SDX devices are running SDX 4.46 now I would like to have it on the A800 too, as it now has become my standard Atari.

Disk flips here no problem. Try it with MATR.COM from a few posts back.

Ok I'll try that program tonight when I get home. Did the disk flip for you with the regular driver or this new one you just posted? I ask because this didn't work for me or my friend with the old one.

Did the disk flip for you with the regular driver or this new one you just posted? I ask because this didn't work for me or my friend with the old one.

Well - I'm testing this with the latest U1MB driver, since I have no Incognito here right now. But disk flipping was never broken in any version, AFAIK, so it shouldn't matter. But if you can test with real Incognito hardware, it'll be really helpful - since I can't. ;)

The only thing likely to "break" disk flipping is if the calling application didn't properly set up the side b disk image in the first place. In that case and only in that case, pressing the button would have no effect.

Note: with MATR (which is nowhere near as slick as Candle's program), you must first mount disk 2 on - say - drive 2, then cursor over side 1, and select "boot image".

Edited by flashjazzcat

Note: with MATR (which is nowhere near as slick as Candle's program), you must first mount disk 2 on - say - drive 2, then cursor over side 1, and select "boot image".

I'm not understanding how to use MATR with two sided disks? How do I set the second side when it asks?

Ok. Let me explain. When you press the button on your SIDE cart, it moves every mounted ATR down by one drive slot. So, if you first mount ATR A on D1 and ATR B on D2, pressing the button slides ATR B to D1 and 'wraps' ATR A to D2. You can have more than two ATRs and the drive numbers need not be contiguous, but obviously with only two ATRs the button swaps disks A and B. Make sense? So - put disk B on D2, then boot disk A on D1. Button then swaps them.

I don't honestly know. I'm starting to think it could be the current phase of the moon or the wind direction. Are you saying titles which work, work consistently, or are you saying some titles work sometimes and others not at all?

Edited by flashjazzcat

100% of the time.

Doesn't Work 100% of the time: Ballyhoo, Infidel

Works 100% of the time: Plundered Hearts

I'll test more, but these are the ones I know I played with off the top of my head (Infocom titles are easy to test as they load quickly then ask you to flip the disk)

BTW will SIDE ever support .ATX files?

Ah, I see. I misunderstood when you said "I'm doing that and it's still not working". I thought you meant there was a problem "across the board", so to speak. Some games will never work with disk swapping, for reasons unknown. Some games will never work when loaded from a PBI device. These are problems we can do something to address (and have done, such as carefully initialising Pokey registers to match SIO-based values so as not to upset certain games: however, this achieved nothing so I abandoned the idea), but only up to a point. If certain titles work 100 per cent of the time, and certain titles don't, then we have no intermittent problems and the device is at least demonstrating it's capable of working as designed. Debugging problems with individual titles is a whole 'nuther pan of peas.

Re: ATX files - not sure. Anything which has a file structure vaguely similar to the ATR would be considered.

Edited by flashjazzcat

Are we sure MyIDE II works with the Incognito board installed? When I tried to use mine the menu kept moving down and I couldn't select anything (almost like a key was held down, but it's not I checked). Very strange. Maybe I'm not setting the MyIDE II up correctly?

On a side note, I got some those Infocom games to work, I must have been using a bad disk or something.

Still Not Working

-----------------------

AE (hangs on the first disk, I tried several versions)

Cutthroats (won't flip)

Infidel (won't flip)

Hollywood Hijinx (won't flip)

Are we sure MyIDE II works with the Incognito board installed? When I tried to use mine the menu kept moving down and I couldn't select anything (almost like a key was held down, but it's not I checked). Very strange. Maybe I'm not setting the MyIDE II up correctly?

Who knows... Incognito came first, so hopefully MyIDE II was designed to work with it. I'm not getting into MyIDE stuff myself.

On a side note, I got some those Infocom games to work, I must have been using a bad disk or something.

That's good to hear. 100 per cent compatibility is probably unachievable, but as time goes on I guess we'll get time to look into some problem titles. I'm inclined to blame the way the games are coded. Some of them pull some pretty crazy stunts, and will simply never work.

• Like 1

I also have recognize these effects with Incognito and myIDE II (cursor went automatically down, display flickers, computer hangs).

But: I see this problem on myIDE II, not on Incognito. Incognito follow the logical scheme using $D5xx in a way that no collisions with SDX, OSS carts and many other occur. myIDE II uses very different hardware adresses, i.e. from $D500-$D50F. Don´t know, why myIDE II wasn´t developed regarding this wide spreaded facts.

Also I have problems using a KMK-IDE v2 attached and SDX on it enabled with myIDE II - crashes nearly every time. With SIDE 1 or SIDE 2... no problem, both can be used in parallel (for example: copy files from one CF card with APT to another).

In the actual state my myIDE II isn´t a very useful device WITH OTHERS together. Stand-alone it´s ok.

I also have recognize these effects with Incognito and myIDE II (cursor went automatically down, display flickers, computer hangs).

But: I see this problem on myIDE II, not on Incognito. Incognito follow the logical scheme using $D5xx in a way that no collisions with SDX, OSS carts and many other occur. myIDE II uses very different hardware adresses, i.e. from $D500-$D50F. Don´t know, why myIDE II wasn´t developed regarding this wide spreaded facts.

Indeed Incognito only uses $D5xx when the PBI maps RAM under the hardware space. The IDE and banking registers are well out of the way of any area the cart might use. I can't see how problems might occur, unless the MyIDE II hardware registers are being written to when the PBI RAM is mapped into the same space.

That's exactly what's happening. I wonder if there's a way to disable certain options on the Incognito when not using them to make the MyIDE cart work? I should start a separate thread about this rather than cluttering up this one.

Back to the main topic, I know 100% compatibility with games probably isn't achievable but I thought I'd list the ones I'm having trouble with in order to help. Maybe there's something special about those that can be fixed?

I know 100% compatibility with games probably isn't achievable but I thought I'd list the ones I'm having trouble with in order to help. Maybe there's something special about those that can be fixed?

Well, here's the rub: I'm no gamer so I'll never discover any of the problem titles myself. If we can build a list of titles with issues (together with details of how they misbehave), I can investigate them in an orderly fashion when I get time. Maybe we should start a (hopefully small) list on some wiki of known problem games, and mark them off as fixed as and when solutions are found. At least this would avoid duplicated reports and should be first point of call for anyone having issues with disk flipping, etc.

I suggest this because I want to plough on with the big job of improving FDISK, etc, and don't want to be responding to problems in an ad-hoc manner. :)

I can start and sticky a thread about it. I always have edit ability so I can update the first post when people find problem games. Would that work for you? I plan on testing more games soon, I just loaded my card up with a few hundred. :)

"side" interface on incognito has base address at D1E0 IIRC, so enterily not D5xx related

there is internal cartridge port at d500 that gets disabled after few ticks of cpu clock after reset and doesn't appear in memory at all untill loader is invoked

if they made a poo, they should clean it up

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...