IGNORED

Apple ][ Programming sub-forum Request For Comment

I PM'ed Al about it, under the assumption he would see it at some not so busy point, but I thought I would toss the idea out there.

For me personally, I'm starting to do some work on the Apple computers. Currently, that's assembling PoP code with the idea of enabling an Atari port. That will be a while, but it's fun going so far.

A number of us have these machines in addition to Atari, etc... What does everyone think?

Honestly, I would love to have an Apple forum, with programming underneath, but that's likely too much at this time. A programming sub-forum would be the next best and IMHO, most appropriate thing. They are cool computers and there is a lot of ground not covered well and there is some interest and activity.

I see a divide between the kinds of things we like to do here and the established Apple ][ community at large. Like those guys, don't get me wrong there, but I would really enjoy the flavor here more.

So there it is. Make sense? Forget it? Share your thoughts.

• Like 1

It's weird man. I think soon we're gonna wake up one fine day and see new forum here. You are right about the Apple 2 series interest picking up.

Ebay-prices a-soaring.

People are a-talking.

Me finding more old (new unposted stuff and manuals to scan)

Me getting asked to demo and Q&A ADT to the lady's IT gang.

Jobs rolling in his grave..

It's all good!

Applesoft BASIC is what got me interested programming. That was way back in high school. I'd since jumped to Mac OS programming but I'd love to see an Apple programming forum. I still have my disk from high school and an Apple IIgs to read it. :)

(I wouldn't be averse to a Mac OS programming sub-forum either :ponder: I'd probably be the only one posting in it though :lol: )

Applesoft BASIC is what got me interested programming. That was way back in high school. I'd since jumped to Mac OS programming but I'd love to see an Apple programming forum. I still have my disk from high school and an Apple IIgs to read it. :)

(I wouldn't be averse to a Mac OS programming sub-forum either :ponder: I'd probably be the only one posting in it though :lol: )

I like objective-c also. so I would be in.

I'd participate in an Apple ][ discussion area. Not sure how much I'd participate in programing topics since I mostly program A8 and Mac OS X/iOS. It's been years since I did any programming on the ][.

Most Apple II forums are pretty dead, and there's no comprehensive literature archive. But comp.sys.apple2 is still active, and asimov is still up. So the Apple II community is still around but could stand to be reinvigorated too.

The biggest problem with the Apple II community is that they seem to be fragmented.

Some insist on staying with comp.sys.apple2 (reminds me of the people on the CoCo mailing list a bit), some are on applefritter, some are on one of who know how many other forums... and several active developers just stick to their own websites for the most part

Applefritter seems to have plenty of Apple gurus but I really don't see any software development blogs and there definitely isn't a really nice forum/software repository like you have with AtariAge, Lemon 64, or World of Spectrum.

The number of people that go to Kansasfest every year shows there is support for the machine though.

Edited by JamesD

I like objective-c also. so I would be in.

I was actually thinking old Mac OS, like System 7 to Mac OS 9, but an OS X/iOS programming sub-forum would also be great. I've got my feet dipped in all pools. Frankly, I'd feel a lot more comfortable sharing and getting feedback in these forums than in some of the other forums I've visited.

I'd love to see the comp.sys.apple2 guys move over to a sub-forum on AA, but I don't think they would. They seem kind of set in their ways. Then again, the TI-99 guys seem to have moved over for the most part so maybe there's hope for the Apple II?

I'd love to see the comp.sys.apple2 guys move over to a sub-forum on AA, but I don't think they would. They seem kind of set in their ways. Then again, the TI-99 guys seem to have moved over for the most part so maybe there's hope for the Apple II?

The comp.sys.apple2 guys are like the ones on the CoCo list. They won't budge.

I think the TI guys are here because it's a bit more open here than on the yahoo groups. The questions they asked just to gain access were absurd and I told them it was none of their business.

So what sort of development would we like to see on the Apple II? The Apple II is one of the least capable 8-bit home computers, with just a 1mhz CPU and no custom chips. It would be difficult to port Atari 800 (1.7mhz&ANTIC/GTIA) or C64 (VIC-II/SID) games to it. The TRS-80 uses an entirely different CPU. Ports from the PET might be doable, but what software would we want on the Apple II?

The Apple II pretty much predates the demo scene, so there might be opportunities there. But the Apple II has no custom chips that we could exploit, and the graphics techniques have been pretty well explored by games.

What about an artillery game? There is one on the Apple II already, but it's written in BASIC. I bet one reimplemented in ASM would be cool, could probably find the CPU time to add some nice explosion effects.

And one more forum would only add to that, heh.

I'm not going to disagree.

Atariage does have something going for it the others don't... there seems to be more of a game developer spirit here.

A game seems to show up at Kansasfest every now and then but for the most part it seems dominated by hardware or utilities.

That's just the way it seems to be.

Would having a forum here change that?

Probably not unless someone here starts the ball rolling.

That's the harmless trouble with older Apple community members. They're set in their ways too much. They don't do anything to cause trouble, but don't do anything good either. This more so than any other 8-bit community.

I've seen the "stinginess" and "stubbornness" take place against the noobs too often. I just watched a little battle between a noob and established member, both got into carrying on about something pedantic about video out. With the senior member being an ass.

Don't the old farts know a noob has to learn that it is proper etiquette to search a forum first? And then there's necroposting. There could be new information available. But one shouldn't have to apologize for revisiting an old topic. Who the fuck gives (you) the right to determine what is old or "necro"?

These old-fart "gatekeepers" are just airheads. Are they going to put something in place to ensure the continuance of the knowledge when they pass on to pasture? I don't think so. They're the ones with the attitude that needs tweaking.

This is all trivial stuff the level-headed folks just rise above it without a care in the world.

Furthermore if we get an Apple II section here, which is what it should be, it should be for 2 series alone. Mac is too different and would warrant its own separate set of forums or sub-forums.

With all this talk of a new Apple forum - it's not too early to start thinking up sub-forum names.

• Like 2