IGNORED

16mb ATR of Antic magazine disk

venom4728a

I am working on a single 16mb SDX ATR with all the Antic magazine disks. I already have the disks in the ATR and I am now trying to incorporate text versions of all the Antic articles into the same ATR.

I removed the files that were repeated on every disk, like MENU.BAS, DOS.SYS, DUP.SYS, AUTORUN.SYS, HELP! ETC ETC. I have the articles done for first issue 1982 through June 1983. Getting the software all moved over and sorted into separate directories took about 6-7 hours. The Articles are taking quite a bit more time to copy, paste, convert and import, these will take awhile.......

Would anyone else besides myself be interested in something like this?

I do plan to tweak the MENU.BAS, adding changing directories and a basic search function.

I hope to also do one for ANALOG and others once this one is finished.

Best Regards

Robert

• Like 3

I am working on a single 16mb SDX ATR with all the Antic magazine disks. I already have the disks in the ATR and I am now trying to incorporate text versions of all the Antic articles into the same ATR.

I removed the files that were repeated on every disk, like MENU.BAS, DOS.SYS, DUP.SYS, AUTORUN.SYS, HELP! ETC ETC. I have the articles done for first issue 1982 through June 1983. Getting the software all moved over and sorted into separate directories took about 6-7 hours. The Articles are taking quite a bit more time to copy, paste, convert and import, these will take awhile.......

Would anyone else besides myself be interested in something like this?

I do plan to tweak the MENU.BAS, adding changing directories and a basic search function.

I hope to also do one for ANALOG and others once this one is finished.

Best Regards

Robert

You can get all 94 .atrs on a 16 meg atr. You can't get all about 9 gigs of pdfs of the 94 magazines on a 16 meg atr. Or, probably, I don't understand what you're trying to do.

The 94 .atrs are about 8 megabytes. If you remove duplicates of files from the .atrs, the atr is still 90 k bytes.

Edited by russg

I have all the magazine disks seperated in to directories by year and month in one 16mb atr taks up about 7mb.

I am trying to also fit into the remaining 8-9mb the text version of all the Antic magazine articles into the same directories sorted by year and month.

so one 16mb atr with all disk and text files of the articles.

I have all the magazine disks seperated in to directories by year and month in one 16mb atr taks up about 7mb.

I am trying to also fit into the remaining 8-9mb the text version of all the Antic magazine articles into the same directories sorted by year and month.

so one 16mb atr with all disk and text files of the articles.

No, you're not trying to fit a .pdf into an atari atr. An Atari screen is about 900 characters/bytes. An article would be about five pages of ASCII or about 15,000 bytes. You'd have

to re-format to 38 columns and be in ATASCII. So, that would be about 94 x 15,000 or 1,410,000. You could fit that in. I guess you could do it. It would take re-typing

all the articles in on an Atari, I don't think there is an easy way to get plain text out of the .pdfs that we have from Thumpnugget. If you smell rubber burning, that's me thinking.

No PDF's just text. I am using Notepad to copy and paste the articles, saving them in ascii, then a program called dratex16 to convert the ascii files into atascii.

I will gladly accept help Maria.

I have been using copy and paste from this website: http://www.atarimagazines.com/antic/

1)open each article one at a time.

2)copy the text of the article

3)paste it into notepad and save it as a ansi text file, with the name of the article.

4)once I get one magazine complete, I run the batch of text files through dratex16 and convert them to atascii

5)Copy and past the Table of contents for that magazine into another text file named TOC.TXT with each section numbered 1 to xx (1)Editorial, 2) Tech Tips)

6)I rename the atascii files to what ever number they relate to in the TOC.TXT, (Editorial.TXT will become 1.TXT,Tech tips.TXT will becomw 2.TXT and so on).

Then copy them into the Articles directory for that year/month, with a program named MAKEATR.EXE

I am planning to display the TOC.TXT and the user can select the number of the article they choose to read, the number they choose will be used to call the file in that directory with the corresponding number.

I will find a place to host the file this evening and post a link, so all can look at what I have done so far. AA has a 10mb file size limit, so has to be offsite.

There is a menu.bas file on the ATR, but it is just the standard Antic menu program, I have not even started with tweaking it yet.

Best Regards

Robert

No, you're not trying to fit a .pdf into an atari atr. An Atari screen is about 900 characters/bytes. An article would be about five pages of ASCII or about 15,000 bytes. You'd have

to re-format to 38 columns and be in ATASCII. So, that would be about 94 x 15,000 or 1,410,000. You could fit that in. I guess you could do it. It would take re-typing

all the articles in on an Atari, I don't think there is an easy way to get plain text out of the .pdfs that we have from Thumpnugget. If you smell rubber burning, that's me thinking.

How about copy and paste from www.Atarimagazines.com like this?

Animath

Jerry Wright and Lloyd Ollman, Jr.

The graphics potential of the Atari personal computer is a powerful educational tool. It can be used to transform the chores of learning into the fun of learning.

A growing number of companies now produce educational software for the Atari computer, but the quality of this software varies widely. A good children's educational program draws children to play with it, and allows learning to happen along with the fun.

When you think back to your school days (assuming you're not still there), what did you find to be the worst part of the learning process? For us it was drill and practice. Here's a children's educational program that makes addition practice enjoyable using an interesting type of animation.

The program is called Animath, for animated math program, and it uses a modified character set to create a sauntering gorilla. Player/missile graphics are also used to spice up the game.

There are several commercial programs which can be used to create modified character sets. Perhaps the best-known of these is Fontedit, from Iridis #2. We used a program similar to this to write a "gorilla" font to disk. The original version of this program called the font from disk and loaded it into memory. The Atari character set is a part of ROM, so the font must be moved to RAM, where it can be modified by the appropriate POKEs into memory.

We knew that many Atari owners utilize cassette storage, so we wrote a little utility to save the font as data statements at the end of the program. There are 24 modified characters, represented as 24 data statements. Because the characters are set up in 8 x 8 blocks, each of the eight numbers in the individual data statements is one 8-bit word, or byte.

After the gorilla is POKEd into RAM, he can be animated by the POSITION command. By changing the positions of his arms and legs, we simulate motion, and the gorilla is able to run down the screen to the first problem.

Thanks to Basic A+ from Optimized Systems Software, we were able to get an accurate list of variables. The first list we generated contained several variables we couldn't find. After listing the program to disk and entering it back in the computer, we came up with an accurate variable table, without all the variables that had been eliminated in earlier incarnations of the program. It's always wise to LIST, then ENTER programs when they are finished, to clear the Atari variable table of all but the variables actually being used.

Allan

No PDF's just text. I am using Notepad to copy and paste the articles, saving them in ascii, then a program called dratex16 to convert the ascii files into atascii.

I will gladly accept help Maria.

I have been using copy and paste from this website: http://www.atarimagazines.com/antic/

1)open each article one at a time.

2)copy the text of the article

3)paste it into notepad and save it as a ansi text file, with the name of the article.

4)once I get one magazine complete, I run the batch of text files through dratex16 and convert them to atascii

5)Copy and past the Table of contents for that magazine into another text file named TOC.TXT with each section numbered 1 to xx (1)Editorial, 2) Tech Tips)

6)I rename the atascii files to what ever number they relate to in the TOC.TXT, (Editorial.TXT will become 1.TXT,Tech tips.TXT will becomw 2.TXT and so on).

Then copy them into the Articles directory for that year/month, with a program named MAKEATR.EXE

I am planning to display the TOC.TXT and the user can select the number of the article they choose to read, the number they choose will be used to call the file in that directory with the corresponding number.

I will find a place to host the file this evening and post a link, so all can look at what I have done so far. AA has a 10mb file size limit, so has to be offsite.

There is a menu.bas file on the ATR, but it is just the standard Antic menu program, I have not even started with tweaking it yet.

Best Regards

Robert

You're moving right along. Just converting from ASCII EOLs to ATASCII EOLs would be a 80 column, maybe 66 lines to a page, margins at about an inch. I took Allan's example he posted and

wrote something that made left margin 0, rt. margin 37, page length 23, top margin 0. Then I used either a simple doc reader BAS program or SpartDOS copy d:textfile.txt E: to read the file.

Also, your doing the entire magazine, much more than the amount of room you have. I guess you can gauge the size of the text files you've experienced. I thought you were just going to have

the articles that went with the files on the .atr for that issue. I used Atari Speedscript to re-format a simple ASCII file, with no carriage returns, with ASCII CR LF removed. The problem

is what are you going to read the text files with?

Edited by russg
  • Like 1

I am thinking in the MENU.BAS I will have a small Text file viewer to view the articles, scroll up-down, maybe a print function.

If I start running out of room, on the image and do not have enough room for all the articles, what do we think we should trim out as un needed?

1)Printer Reviews appear quite often.

2)Product reviews.

What else?

The link above is a spartdos bootable disk ATR now.

Robert

You are booting X32G.DOS. That dos doesn't allow 'COPY TOC.TXT E:. which is very handy. I'd suggest booting X33A.DOS instead. You could also put X33A.DOS in the root

directory and remove the DOS directory, which is 175904 bytes.

Edited by russg

• 3 years later...

Very interesting.

The file is no longer in GoogleDrive.

I am carious to know if there is a final product of this project.

madi

All 88 Antics have been made into PDF files and available as an 8 gig torrent. 8 gigs takes hours to download.

So, in GOOGLE, type 'antic magazine torrent'.

Then pick the pirate bay choice. Then just download the torrent.

Once you have the torrent, you can read any issue of Antic you want.

There are warnings about exploits of your computer, 'get a VPN (whatever that is)' . Don't worry,

Just click 'get this torrent' and off you go for hours of downloading.

I guess you need a torrent client.

It may be a little complicated, but getting the Antic torrents, I think DISK1 to DISK4, off you go.

All 88 Antics have been made into PDF files and available as an 8 gig torrent. 8 gigs takes hours to download.

So, in GOOGLE, type 'antic magazine torrent'.

Then pick the pirate bay choice. Then just download the torrent.

Once you have the torrent, you can read any issue of Antic you want.

There are warnings about exploits of your computer, 'get a VPN (whatever that is)' . Don't worry,

Just click 'get this torrent' and off you go for hours of downloading.

I guess you need a torrent client.

It may be a little complicated, but getting the Antic torrents, I think DISK1 to DISK4, off you go.

Hi russg

Thank you fro your kind help.

I am aware of the availability of Antic Magazine archive on the Internet.

I already so your input and generous contribution to preserve such viable documents. This Link.

Unfortunately, The Pirate bay (as a reservoir for the actual files) is gone. Even worse, It is, along with several pirate bay clones are censored (blocked) in my country.

I found a different torrent "alive" links on different torrent sites. i.e. Here is an example link.

In addition, Archive.org has a complete archive for Antic magazines that can be viewed online.

Also, I can not forget the huge effort made by the people at AtariMagazines to provide a nice text based archive for Antic Magazine along a large number of different books and magazines.

Atarimania.com should not be forgotten among the best resources for Atari related Magazines.

On reality, storing >8 GB of data on a computer and refer to it occasionally is not the best practice for most readers.

What I was looking for is that Disk(s) project where venom4728a was working on this interesting project where he was storing the magazines texts on Atari image Disk(s).

Very handy and smart way of archiving especially if some sorting indexing was used.

Unfortunately, The initial product of this project is no longer available on google drive.

madi

• Like 1

Hi russg

Thank you fro your kind help.

I am aware of the availability of Antic Magazine archive on the Internet.

I already so your input and generous contribution to preserve such viable documents. This Link.

Unfortunately, The Pirate bay (as a reservoir for the actual files) is gone. Even worse, It is, along with several pirate bay clones are censored (blocked) in my country.

I found a different torrent "alive" links on different torrent sites. i.e. Here is an example link.

In addition, Archive.org has a complete archive for Antic magazines that can be viewed online.

Also, I can not forget the huge effort made by the people at AtariMagazines to provide a nice text based archive for Antic Magazine along a large number of different books and magazines.

Atarimania.com should not be forgotten among the best resources for Atari related Magazines.

On reality, storing >8 GB of data on a computer and refer to it occasionally is not the best practice for most readers.

What I was looking for is that Disk(s) project where venom4728a was working on this interesting project where he was storing the magazines texts on Atari image Disk(s).

Very handy and smart way of archiving especially if some sorting indexing was used.

Unfortunately, The initial product of this project is no longer available on google drive.

madi

Madi, you wouldn't happen to know the name of the file that was being shared on the Google Drive, do you? I may have grabbed it at some point for my personal archives.

--Tim