IGNORED

Which carts in the store are PAL60?

Thorsten Günther

As at least one of my "modern" (i.e. LCD) TVs freaks out when fed a PAL60 signal via the aerial input (not, when I use my composite modded VCS though), I want to know which homebrew cartridges in the AtariAge store are PAL50 and which are PAL60 (most - like Juno First - are labelled accordingly, but others - e.g. Conquest of Mars - aren't).

Currently I am interested in Colony 7, Conquest of Mars, Chetiry, Bee-Ball, Fall Down, and Squish'Em.

Edited by Thorsten Günther

I suggest you to stick with PAL60 where possible, since (except for the colors) that's usually what the games are coded for.

E.g. the game speed and difficulty may vary in PAL 50 or they may even not be adapted to PAL 50 at all (like Activision games). Flicker, which is still acceptable in PAL60 might become annoying in PAL50. Etc.

That's a good question. Traditionally if a game was labeled as PAL, that would mean PAL50. I will have to go through each game individually and change the "PAL" designations to "PAL50" or "PAL60" as appropriate. Where a game has both PAL50 and PAL60 versions available, that is clearly labeled.

..Al

That's a good question. Traditionally if a game was labeled as PAL, that would mean PAL50. I will have to go through each game individually and change the "PAL" designations to "PAL50" or "PAL60" as appropriate. Where a game has both PAL50 and PAL60 versions available, that is clearly labeled.

You should also mention if a game is switchable between formats and which.

You should also mention if a game is switchable between formats and which.

All games that support PAL and NTSC should be labeled as such in the store. However, most probably do not state whether they are using PAL50 or 60. I may need a way to determine this by loading the binary into Stella.

..Al

All PAL60 ROMs that Stella knows about contain '(PAL60)' in their title in the properties database, and are manually set to PAL60. This is because there's no way I know of to auto-detect PAL60; it will always auto-detect as NTSC instead. All PAL ROMs are labeled with '(PAL)', but the format itself is auto-detected.

Stella doesn't (yet) automatically support ROMs that are switchable. You load the ROM and it will be auto-detected according to scanline count as either NTSC or PAL. You can then press Control-f to cycle between the different modes. But as I say, it isn't automatic.

I suggest you to stick with PAL60 where possible, since (except for the colors) that's usually what the games are coded for.

E.g. the game speed and difficulty may vary in PAL 50 or they may even not be adapted to PAL 50 at all (like Activision games). Flicker, which is still acceptable in PAL60 might become annoying in PAL50. Etc.

For these titles I prefer sticking to the NTSC versions. I failed to mention that my trusty Mitsubishi EUM-1491A rolls the picture at 60Hz (when fed in via composite, it does cope with much higher frequencies via the RGB input), so it's either real PAL (50Hz) or real NTSC I want to purchase. WIll start try downloading them and run them from my Harmony cart.