IGNORED

Is the IDE PLUS 2.0 still available (not at Lotharek)

Marius

Perhaps. But, as I see, from mysterious reason, header is demanded by persons who don't participate in this pre-order. :)

I wasn't demanding a header, just offering an alternative when you responded that adding a dip switch would add too much cost and take up too much room.

I also pointed out why the XL series couldn't control the cartridge port on the Rev.B when someone asked, the Rev.C rectified this issue and was a great success

I already have a Rev.C that I am happy with but have been considering getting another.

Ok guys, one of the worst things that can happen to a developer is to be flooded with last moment requests/demands as he/she is trying to finalize a product. I can relate to Simius' situation and I think we should limit our requests. Even a simple switch or header adds to the cost of the device and sometimes these additions can make a difference between making or breaking the very thin margins that most developers here work with. Let's give the guy a break and let's refrain from adding our personal dissatisfaction to the brew. We want to have a compatible and solid IDE interface here, let's concentrate on this and this only. We certainly need a cut-off point if we want to receive our devices in a reasonable time-frame.

• Like 1

Hi Simius-

It would be helpful for some of us deciding if you could spell out what features that the new build will have. At this point in time, you may not know completely. I understand about the COVOX, but there have been a number of other "wishes" expressed that may or may not be included.

-Larry

Boards from the previous run aren't compatible? What's the reason for that?

Strictly speaking, incompatible with the simplified application of this processor, not containing buffers, that could separate it from data bus in the first half of machine cycle. When 65C816 send memory bank address to the data bus, while 6502 leave it in the high impedance state. This leads to the data collision with circuits dependent only from address and not from PHI2.

Strictly speaking, incompatible with the simplified application of this processor, not containing buffers, that could separate it from data bus in the first half of machine cycle. When 65C816 send memory bank address to the data bus, while 6502 leave it in the high impedance state. This leads to the data collision with circuits dependent only from address and not from PHI2.

So it's the 65C816's fault, in other words.

Am I understanding it right that features like a built in fdisk tool (which can be started on the fly) ... are Bios/Software related, and not (except for that single key) hardware related?

It's hardware related in this sense, that need some memory area. Available 96kB is a lot, but not as much to put everything you wish. Ask Drac030, if there is enough place.

So it's the 65C816's fault, in other words.

I wouldn't say: fault. Relative incompatibility and that's all.

It's probably the most stupid thing to say, but serious: money is not really an option. Please make it good, not cheap.

(I think the SDX connector on the backside is far too fragile to last; that needs to be a much stronger switch imho).

Which one you have? With black lever or white? White one was more rigid.

Will not be much stronger, because there is no stronger in this size.

I have the one with the black lever.

I thought you were doing some changes to the PCB, so I thought that perhaps a bigger /stronger switch would be possible.

I hate to "add on," but I just thought of something that could possibly be improved.

The external power connector (male plug) is not very robust. I bought several extras and installed a new one, after the first one came apart. You suggested a more robust version -- perhaps that one could be used? I realize that this is not an issue if one does not frequently plug the device into different computers. Just a thought/suggestion...

BTW, I wonder why the female portion of a plug/receptacle is typically called a "jack" (at least here). ;)

-Larry

The black box firmware is less than 64k (the newest/enhanced version of it) and that includes config programs for serial, paralell interfaces, the actual serial handler (loads from rom instead of having to occupy system ram), print spooling, ultraspeed SIO handlers, hardisk config, partition manager, a pretty extensive sector editor/copier, graphic screen dump routines for several different graphics modes and several different printers, and floppy formatting/config programs for the floppyboard..

I think with 96k, you should be able to pretty well support an IDE interface, a clock, and a flash partition.. And do it in a very "well-embellished" way..