IGNORED

Is the IDE PLUS 2.0 still available (not at Lotharek)

Marius

obviously there is some kind of real argument comeetee that drac030 is part of letting him to decide (in comeetee meeting but ofcourse) what is a real argument and whatsnot

Exactly. If you are revealing your argument in public, then anyone may "decide" that they are real arguents or not. On other words: anyone can put your arguments in doubt, and you can't legitimately escape this by calling the opponent stupid. :)

i don't really need an argument to have an opinion, do i?

As long as you don't confuse an opinion with an argument.

anyways, if someone wants an pbi compilant hard disk interface that takes modern media i say wait

Or if anyone wants digital sound, wait as well. For soundboard. Which is already (less or more) complete for many years now, but not available. Thus if you want to get to the next city, you should either wait 20 years until Ford produces its first car, or walk on foot. Bikes are forbidden, because Ford promised a car in next two decades and we all have to trust the Word, because otherwise it is silly and retarded. That's really an argumentation which could touch my heart.

i won't "troll" here again

Wise decision, it is not very nice to troll anywhere, actually :P

If a new run is made, would it be possible to add dip switches for PBI ID selection instead of moving the SMD resistor?

Theoretically it's possible, but it isn't a good idea - occupy space as two chips, costs as five, reduces reliability, is difficult to access and in most cases is quite needless.

FWIW (not much, probably)...

I'm 100% with Konrad. It's an OK feature that I will likely never use, but some others (that's plural) may find nice-to-have. I guess if you feel strongly enough against COVOX, you won't buy one. OTOH, I suspect it will be very "cheap to feed."

To me, Konrad has done so much great work for the Atari community over the years that if he wants it on there, it should be there if for no other reason.

-Larry

Talking about upgrades ;)

Another nice feature would be a hardware write protect switch. On the BlackBox I have my partitions in 99% of the time write protected; and only once in a while, when I 'suddenly' wants to make a write, I toggle that switch.

I know: it can be done from dos, and from FDISK... but this switch is a brilliant feature. It's not a must-have, but as long as we are brainstorming about features, this one is also a good one.

Hardware write protect is hard to do, because even read operation must be preceded by some (at least one) writes. I would need to block the specific commands, and this is too troublesome to implement.

Edited by Simius

@drac030 Another BIOS-feature request is indeed a built-in FDISK, and perhaps a more APE-style way of mounting partitions to Drive numbers. I'm not sure whether you know the blackbox or not, but that is a very handy way of doing that. With that screen you see D1 to D9: and on every drive you can 'mount' a partition from a long list of partitions. If no partition is mounted, this drive is using the SIO port. Another cool part is that for the sio drives you can give in what Sio-driveX-redirection is needed (so D3: sio can be Sio D1 par example). And there is this very handy swap-method.

It's really convenient. You see in one view what is mounted to D1: and what will boot as soon as you switch the atari on.

I'm not saying you should do this too, but I think it's one of the powerful features of blackbox; and I think IDE+ could use this feature too.

Now after a few days of very intense using of IDE+ I get the feeling the very best experience you get when you use SDX. I'm not a regular SDX user, and I would like to use the interface in just a slight different way. I notice this is a little harder/complicated than I did expect. I hope this can be changed one day (I'm not in a hurry).

I think this device is extremely powerful, and I really like it a lot. So IMO it can only get even better.

Thanks for all the time you invest in this project. If you need more information about the BlackBox menu, let me know.

This is docs for BlackBox:

http://nleaudio.com/css/products/BB_Docs.htm

Somewhere below 50% of text the BB menu is described there.

Thanks

M.

Theoretically it's possible, but it isn't a good idea - occupy space as two chips, costs as five, reduces reliability, is difficult to access and in most cases is quite needless.

If dip switches are too much trouble what about just using header pins with a jumper to select the PBI ID?

This shouldn't add much cost and also not take much more room than the current solder pads

If dip switches are too much trouble what about just using header pins with a jumper to select the PBI ID?

This shouldn't add much cost and also not take much more room than the current solder pads

Not much more, only twice. With 2mm-pitch header only. :)

But what for? How many times have you needed to change before?

Edited by Simius

I, myself don't have good eyes for SMT soldering and I'd like to use it on the 1450xl that I built.

It's PBI floppy (in ROM) is hard wired for ID #0.

No problem. I can set it for ID#1 or any other you want. :)

Otherwise, it would just be nice to have that option...

Sure. But, for example, on the 1450XL wasn't that option and nothing happened.

After all, you just have an option. A little difficult, but possible. There isn't hard wired. :)

I believe you can set it individually for whatever the user wants, but that's not the point. The point it to be able to change the setting without soldering. Not even everyone has a soldering tool, required skills, eyes good enough or a neighbour to help.

I understand this, but wishes is one thing and the real need - second. There is a simply way to see, if this thing is really needful - are you ready pay for it additionaly? For example - US$5?

Obviously. $5 is nothing compared to cost in time and money, when you suddenly need to change the id, and you can't, because it needs soldering.

Perhaps. But, as I see, from mysterious reason, header is demanded by persons who don't participate in this pre-order. :)

Have a look at who wrote the only APT partition editor you can use with it. I'm sorry if that alone doesn't entitle me to an opinion at least. Interest withdrawn...

• Like 1

Have a look at who wrote the only APT partition editor you can use with it. I'm sorry if that alone doesn't entitle me to an opinion at least. Interest withdrawn...

Take it easy. Your opinion also matters for me. Admit, however, that the opinions, for which the money goes, are... a bit heavier. ;)

I hope you do not withdraw your interest in the device / support for ide+ itself.

Not at all. APT is - as I understand it - a collaborative effort, the whole point being that all the software works with all the interfaces. My support for IDE Plus is therefore circumstantial (and hopefully fortuitous), and I have no aspirations to be deemed an "important customer", regardless of the fact I bought one of the first run of these interfaces. ;)

Take it easy. Your opinion also matters for me. Admit, however, that the opinions, for which the money goes, are... a bit heavier. ;)

Obviously so - I understand. I had just detected a generally negative response to suggestions (certainly not demands) across the board - perhaps I misread the situation. Surely though, someone who's already put his money down is implying he's reasonably happy to get what's offered if nothing changes. It's possible to garner wider interest and additional custom from "floating" buyers, however, by showing a listening ear to all vaguely sensible suggestions. Nothing mysterious about that. ;)