toymailman

• 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...

WHEN will the atarivox restock? Want one bad

I dunno. I bought mine from The Golden Ax

http://atariage.com/forums/user/18480-thegoldenax/

about a month before he fell ill. His wife, wolf Pack mommy

http://atariage.com/forums/user/23353-wolfpackmommy/

was still fulfilling mail orders for some time after he fell sick, but she does not have the technical skill to assemble the parts so I imagine the supply of pre-assembled AtariVox's may have run dry. You can PM Wolf Pack Mommy for more info.

Based on what I had read, Mos6507

http://atariage.com/forums/user/121-mos6507/

had purchased enough PCBs, raw material, and SpeakJet chips to meet the projected Atarivox demand for some time, but he couldn't handle the pressure of finishing them so he shipped most of the supplies to The Golden Ax to take over shortly before he had his accident.

In theory, there is a large stockpile of parts (enough PCBs to make nearly 1000 AtariVoxes), but they are tied up in limbo right now which is unfortunate. Lack of a source creates a Catch 22 effect in that homebrew authors are reluctant to take advantage of the Vox capabilities if nobody will be able to utilize them. Most homebrews that utilize it only use it for saving high scores, although there are a handful that use the SpeakJet chip. It is really a great tech, albeit severely underutilized at the moment.

Edited by stardust4ever

I never sent raw parts to GoldenAx, only complete units, and as far as I know, they are sold out. All spare parts are currently with me. All future AtariVox+ units will be sold through AtariAge.

Where I left off years ago I had another batch of over 70 boards that were in various stages of assembly. This summer I finished assembling these. I still have yet to pass them through a test-cycle but I am expecting all but a few should pass the smoke-test. All they need are cases and labels (and optional cables for those who want to use it with a Vectrex). Nathan is going to update the packaging and it's worth spending the time to get it right.

There was some concern that we wouldn't be able to source more Speakjets at a discount but I managed to score another great deal, and Albert and I split the cost to buy a large stash that should last for eternity. With that out of the way the only impediments I see in keeping these stocked is gaining proficiency in soldering the PIC onto the board, something that took me a lot of practice back in the day, and something that would be best for Albert to figure out, because I can't guarantee I'll have the time to do any further assembly. But he'll have to sell out this batch before we cross that bridge.

So while I don't have an ETA, I would assume these would be available before the end of the year, again, all dependent on the timeline on redoing the label and manual.

• Like 3

I never sent raw parts to GoldenAx, only complete units, and as far as I know, they are sold out. All spare parts are currently with me. All future AtariVox+ units will be sold through AtariAge.

Where I left off years ago I had another batch of over 70 boards that were in various stages of assembly. This summer I finished assembling these. I still have yet to pass them through a test-cycle but I am expecting all but a few should pass the smoke-test. All they need are cases and labels (and optional cables for those who want to use it with a Vectrex). Nathan is going to update the packaging and it's worth spending the time to get it right.

There was some concern that we wouldn't be able to source more Speakjets at a discount but I managed to score another great deal, and Albert and I split the cost to buy a large stash that should last for eternity. With that out of the way the only impediments I see in keeping these stocked is gaining proficiency in soldering the PIC onto the board, something that took me a lot of practice back in the day, and something that would be best for Albert to figure out, because I can't guarantee I'll have the time to do any further assembly. But he'll have to sell out this batch before we cross that bridge.

So while I don't have an ETA, I would assume these would be available before the end of the year, again, all dependent on the timeline on redoing the label and manual.

That's good news. Sorry for any confusion my post caused. :dunce:

Explain how there is a new Man Goes Down, since Alex Herbert hasn't made contact since 2007-ish?

Sure, I saw in the original thread that some had downloaded a version from his website. The posters seemed to think it was the latest version. I also downloaded it and saw it was put there in June of 2013 which is a newer date than the old ROM of 2006.

Sure, I saw in the original thread that some had downloaded a version from his website. The posters seemed to think it was the latest version. I also downloaded it and saw it was put there in June of 2013 which is a newer date than the old ROM of 2006.

Does it play any different or have more content than the one from 2006?

• 3 months later...

LOVE my new AV+, BUT dont understand hi score function, is it only with new homebrews or can it log original cart scores as well? Thanks!

The AtariVox+ (and AtariVox) only support saving high scores (and/or other data) if they have specific in-game support to do so. Here's a list of games sold in the AtariAge store that have some level of AtariVox support:

http://atariage.com/store/index.php?l=product_list&c=98

You would need to read the description of each game to see how the game supports the AtariVox.

..Al

• 1 year later...

Usually it is mentioned in the game description what exactly is supported.

AtariVox Support

atarivox_logo.jpg

An AtariVox, AtariVox+, or SaveKey can be used with this game to store your high scores. Additionally, with an AtariVox or compatible device, you can save your game in progress and return to it later! This means you can save your game, turn off your Atari 2600, and later re-load your game when you're ready to proceed further in Duck Attack.