IGNORED

3DS Castlevania:Lords of Shadow "Mirror of Fate"

Just picked this up. So far so good. Anybody else pick this up?

Graphically...its a pretty game. Kinda changes style throughout. Movie cut scenes are kinda cell shaded. Prologue using Gabriel Belmont is like Lords of Shadow from PS3/360. Fast forward 57 years later and I am using Simon Belmont in more of traditional "if you will" Castlevania look. All in all it works so far.

Controls are spot on. As for the 3D effect....I usually always turn it off.

I just started the game but from what I have read....you will be using other characters as well to complete this game. Looking forward to it.

I will update my thoughts more as I get along but posting no spoilers about the storyline.

Edited by Taskmaster99

I was going to pick this up on launch (along with a new 3DS system--sold mine a ways back), but I ended up splurging on other things instead. I'll eventually pick it up and try it. Probably not any time soon though. I wasn't terribly impressed with the original gameplay trailer, but what I saw on Nintendo's last Direct video, it seems like it could be cool. Apparently it's pretty linear, with simple course decisions like in Castlevania III.

It was the second demo I downloaded on my 3DS. It wasn't my thing. I didn't have any problem with the visual style. It just didn't seem like Castlevania to me.

I get what your saying about it not feeling like Castlevania. I remember when I picked up Lords of Shadow for the 360 back when it came out. The title said Castlevania....the story was Castlevania.......just didnt feel like Castlevania. I guess I am still stuck in the old days....lol. The only thing that makes this game feel like the games of old is the side scrolling(in a sense) ....the map that appears at the bottom when you progress......and the fact that I'm busting ass with a whip.

I guess I am still stuck in the old days....

Not really.. Castlevania "felt" like Castlevania UNTIL Lords of Shadow came out. Even the DS games--despite the "MetroidVania" style of gameplay and different storylines--still *felt* like Castlevania games. Lords of Shadow on the other hand... ugh... Still a good game, but I can't stand the fact it has the Castlevania name on it. Seeing as two people in this thread both mentioned this doesn't feel like Castlevania, I am going to assume it feels much like Lords of Shadow on the 360/PS3, at least in terms of how it "doesn't feel like" Castlevania.

Its a "not as good as God of War" clone IMO. At least Lords of Shadow was and this looks along the same lines. Not that that's a bad thing but it does get tiresome.

Dante's Inferno, Conan, Heavenly Sword, Ghost Rider...I have a ton of God of War clones and I honestly didn't want Castlevania to go down that path.

The new Castlevania also reminds me of Onimusha which I guess is a praise in a way. :P

For me Castlevania has always been Super Castlavania IV, Rondo and SOTN. I liked them all for the most part though. If I had a 3DS I'd probably get this too.

I somewhat enjoyed the 3D PS2\Xbox games.

Just finished this game 100% in about 13 hrs. A big fan of all the side scrolling

Castlevania games (and enjoyed Lords Of Shadow, despite it having almost

no relevance to the Castlevania universe), but Mirror Of Fate is nowhere near

as deep and engrossing as any of the other Castlevania games. It's got beautiful

graphics, but is riddled with numerous flaws and poor gameplay design choices.

Just finished this game 100% in about 13 hrs. A big fan of all the side scrolling

Castlevania games (and enjoyed Lords Of Shadow, despite it having almost

no relevance to the Castlevania universe), but Mirror Of Fate is nowhere near

as deep and engrossing as any of the other Castlevania games. It's got beautiful

graphics, but is riddled with numerous flaws and poor gameplay design choices.

I wonder why IGA is no longer in control of the series. Hopefully someone else can take the reigns and we can be done with this LoS bullshit.

• Like 1