IGNORED

Atari 1040f issue

Hey guys

I recently got a box full of Atari ST machines, games and audio plug in's and a SC1224 color monitor. The 2 1040's I got are DOA one is incomplete (the 1040e) and the other is complete and turns on but doesnt function.

When I go to turn it on I get a black or white screen with colored artifacts on the screen, it looks like it is trying to boot into something as after a few seconds it goes to another screen that is scrambled. If I reset the machine it will go from a white to black screen and do nothing.

I am new to the ST line as far as toubleshooing goes I have no clue where to start ot what to look at.

I am all ears! I would like to ressurect this beast as I got quite a few good games in the lot that I would love to go back and play again!

Thanks in advance

-j

Here is a photo of what the unit looks like when it is turned on.Atari1040STf_zpsa85811a3.jpg

Edited by Shinju

Its very possible, the cases were loose when I got the machines, 1040e and 1040f. There is 4 ram slots under the HD at least it looks to be old simm ram. I didn't go any further in the break down of it as it was pretty late when I finally got a minute to play with them.

And the other machine had no HD in the middle or power supply board so I didn't even get to check that one.

Edited by Shinju

Well the first thing would be to try unplugging the hard disk. If it's running from the internal power supply it might be putting to much strain on an old one. Then try swapping out or reseating the memory sticks. If there are any socketed chips try (After earthing yourself) giving them a little push down. Then things get more technical if that doesn't work...

There were a few 1040STE+ from Atari Mexico. Not released to the public but developers they pop up on ebay from time to time.

Wow. That's interesting. Any pictures? Only reason I'm asking is because I've been unable to find anything

beyond a schematic and a small shot. No entries in the Wiki, or at the Atari Museum that I can find. Also, in

the schematic it shows the hard drive as being IDE and in a different spot.

So to the original poster, does yours have the IBM emulator also?

Thanks!

post-5822-0-84315400-1363044197_thumb.jpeg

post-5822-0-49117200-1363044268_thumb.jpg

I will have to look when I am feeling a little better, however there was a book in another box that I did not get "I am can go back for a look" that was called (How to play IBM games on your ST).

Who ever owned this was into making music as I have a few music plug-in devices and a digital video box that has a cart interface on the side and some standard video RCA ports.

Edited by Shinju

Wow. That's interesting. Any pictures? Only reason I'm asking is because I've been unable to find anything

beyond a schematic and a small shot. No entries in the Wiki, or at the Atari Museum that I can find. Also, in

the schematic it shows the hard drive as being IDE and in a different spot.

So to the original poster, does yours have the IBM emulator also?

Thanks!

post-5822-0-84315400-1363044197_thumb.jpeg

post-5822-0-49117200-1363044268_thumb.jpg

Last one I saw was on ebay about 2 years ago. One guy has two of them for sale

Small update, I did not get a chance to take anything apart yet. But both top cases I have do not have the ST E+ badge, Like I said I got these and they were already taken apart the cases were loose so who knows what or where this unit came from or if the ST E+ case was put on another system.

Did these units not come with a HD from the factory normally?

Some reason I cannot quote, GadgetUK, The HD is attached with plastic stand offs, it looks factory it doesnt look like a cut hack job but when I tear into it more I will document with photos as best as I can. It is possible that it was a custom job and we will see once I get to dig into it.

So the badge is wrong, and the hard drive is in the wrong place.

Hmm, I'm starting to have my doubts about it being a 1040 STe +.

Did you ever find the IBM emulator?

Thanks.

School me on this IBM emulator, is this a hardware piece or a software deal? If it's software I have no idea as I cannot get the system to post. Or are you talking about the HD being in the location on those schematics?

If i'm not wrong At speed had a intel or compatible 286 . So if this thing has an AT speed build in or somehow on the main board there should be a 286 somewhere??

Anyhow if this is a + machine the HDD should be IDE and connected to the main board. So if the IDE cable is connected straight to the main board it might be a + machine or variant?

Well I hate to be the bringer of bad news but it is just a stock 1040F with an aftermarket STE to IDE Interface piggybacked off a CPU or a controller chip. No Atari Gold unfortunatly.

I have crappy photos as I could not get the interferance shield all the way off. I ended up pulling the IDE Interface and drive and ram out as I think the mainboard is toast as I found the metal floppy drive standoff wedged agenst the board and it probably shorted something out.

I am going to test the IDE interface on my other parts 1040E machine that works, if the IDE interface works cool if it blows up the other machien oh well I really only bought the lot for the SC1224 and accessories and games.

Photos up in a few.