IGNORED

Atari 1040f issue

From those latest photos it looks like a standard STe with an after market HDD interface. Looks IDE to me. If you get it working, ditch the physical drive and get one of those CF to IDE adaptors and you can stick a 4Gb CF card in there, it will be much better on the PSU, performance, and noise. Can't work out which chip its mounted on there, probably the MMU & Glu since. If the machine still isn't working, make sure that adapter is firmly seated on top of the chip. Be careful removing it though or you may never get it back in there - it's like the Marpet RAM upgrade you can get where it has pins under the board and the pins fit inbetween the edges of the chip in the socket and the outer part of the socket - easy to damage, and they also stretch the pin spacing in the socket so if you remove it, or fit it badly you end up needing a new PLCC socket fitting.

1) Check the PSU - is it outputting the right 5 and 12v voltages? (Can't remember but I think it outputs a -12v as well?)

2) Check that board is firmly seated on top of that chip, and make sure any other socketed chips are firmly in their sockets.

3) Start swapping the SIMMS around, try 2 on their own, in each of the banks (as I can never remember which is bank 0), and swap them around if the first 2 you try dont work.

4) Try booting without the Floppy and keyboard connected - is it any different?

5) Try disconnecting the HDD (both power and interface cable) but leave the interface sat on top of the chip still.

6) If none of the above has worked you are into the realms of possibly a damaged MMU & Glue chip, damaged socket, or anything else really but most logically its going to be RAM, that chip or the socket (EDIT: Or the HDD interface board itself). You could as a last ditched attempt remove the HDD interface from the socket, but you may then need to remove the chip in it before retensioning the socket pins.

Edited by GadgetUK

Not going to give up on it just yet, but I do have projects that I need to get done before really diving into this one :)

I pulled all the ram one by one, no change

I pulled the IDE controller, no change

I pulled the Keyboard, no change

I pulled the HD but left the IDE piggy backed on the chip, no change

I pulled the floppy, no change

I will try and get back to it, the Case on the bottom states its an STf machine, the other one I have is a STe and has Ram chips hardmounted to the MB right under were the PS goes.

There is also metal box under the interferance shield. I did not get into it much as I got it working with just putting the PS in and turning it on. I might try and see if I can get that IDE interface to work but I think the Damage to the STf was from that Metal floppy stand off being loose inside the unit and zapped something causing a dead short.

Not going to give up on it just yet, but I do have projects that I need to get done before really diving into this one :)

I pulled all the ram one by one, no change

I pulled the IDE controller, no change

I pulled the Keyboard, no change

I pulled the HD but left the IDE piggy backed on the chip, no change

I pulled the floppy, no change

I will try and get back to it, the Case on the bottom states its an STf machine, the other one I have is a STe and has Ram chips hardmounted to the MB right under were the PS goes.

There is also metal box under the interferance shield. I did not get into it much as I got it working with just putting the PS in and turning it on. I might try and see if I can get that IDE interface to work but I think the Damage to the STf was from that Metal floppy stand off being loose inside the unit and zapped something causing a dead short.

Sounds like they might have the wrong lids on btw. That STf looks like an STe board to me, and the way you described the STe RAM being under the PSU make me think thats actually an STF/M.

You would be correct, the STe is the one with the ram slots, the STf is the one with the onboard ram. I just bought another unmolested STf and it too has the ram built onto the board.

Now to find another internal drive to complete the working STf.

Oh and BTW ST line HATES the 7800 Euro controllers, I thought all of my keyboards were shot as I was playing games that require a controller and for the life of me I could not figure out what the hell was going on. I was trying to type in a security code for Kings Quest IV and the keyboard was freaking out. After some testing and unplugging the controller I found that it was the issue. I also tested this in ST word editor.

One key press with a EURO controller plugged in would do like 10 or more key presses all random characters so if I press a X it would do !@#Ddfsdf@#Rf WDWER@3er2r.

I would love to put that STE to IDE Interface in one of my STf machines but the chip it was plugged into on the STE is not present on the STf board.

Dont forget ST and STe keyboards suffer from cracked joystick and mouse port solder joints. You should resolder these on both keyboards - likely they need doing. Check the floppy drive(s) that aren't working to see if either are Sony with the bad surface mounted caps, particularly the rotation timing cap.

Edited by GadgetUK

Dont forget ST and STe keyboards suffer from cracked joystick and mouse port solder joints. You should resolder these on both keyboards - likely they need doing. Check the floppy drive(s) that aren't working to see if either are Sony with the bad surface mounted caps, particularly the rotation timing cap.
The ports are fine, the controller work when the game requires one to play, and I tested this with a US controller and it was fine.

Must be something with the EURO 7800 controllers. But yes I did check all the ports for bad solider points all were good and solid and worked.Even the 7800 EURO pads worked as well but like I said when I came to typing on the keyboard with those plugged in it was not happening.

As for the drive I never got one with the STf, the STe came with a drive but it needs a belt and it has a different mouth then the STf case allows. So I need one that fits that shell :)

Edited by Shinju

As for the drive I never got one with the STf, the STe came with a drive but it needs a belt and it has a different mouth then the STf case allows. So I need one that fits that shell :)

I've been told that, at least in some cases, you can switch the faceplates out so that a

drive will fit/work. Assuming you have the right faceplate in the first place...

HTHs.

I've been told that, at least in some cases, you can switch the faceplates out so that a

drive will fit/work. Assuming you have the right faceplate in the first place...

HTHs.

True, I could do that but then I would have to find another face, might as well get a whole working unit :)

From memory: The 7800 pads with 2 buttons work a bit different than normal joysticks with 1 button. Might work in the mouse port though. Can't remember that for sure, You can modify the controller. I'm sure there are people on here that know much better than I do.

From memory: The 7800 pads with 2 buttons work a bit different than normal joysticks with 1 button. Might work in the mouse port though. Can't remember that for sure, You can modify the controller. I'm sure there are people on here that know much better than I do.

I remember something about the two button 7800 controllers messing something up if they are plugged in at power up.

They can be plugged in after the system is on and used though.

Edit: here we go-

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/181557-stf-warms-up-and-keyboard-goes-crazy/#entry2274814

Edited by Official Ninja

That is a STe with a Mario Becroft's IDE interface and it has TOS 2.06. If that came from Washington state then it may be the unit I built and sold on Ebay. It just depends on how the drive was mounted to the shield. It was the best interface on the market at the time I purchased it. Let me know how the drive was mounted to the shield.

Atari_Only

If it's not the RAM and the PSU is OK it's probably the glu or associated circuitry. I will take another look at your photo as i've not confirmed whether its mounted on the CPU or the MMU & GLU yet. In either case if you could make a PCB with the right mountings it should work in an STF/M. The problem is that the STe uses PLCC CPU instead of the DIP, and in the STF/M the Glu is also a DIP and the MMU is a seperate PLCC socketed (or not) chip. Probably too complex to design a board just for the purpose.

Edited by GadgetUK

Looks like it might be on the CPU (is it the 3rd chip on the right socketed?) I think the MMU and GLU is the furthest left with many connections, soldered directly onto the board. The middle chip I am not sure about (looks like it might be blitter), but I think I see the Motorola logo on the right hand PLCC chip which leads me to believe its the CPU.

Incidentally, it could be that the HDD interface having been sat with its pins wedged into the CPU socket has damaged the CPU socket, infact I would be amazed after removing that HDD controller if the CPU socket doesnt need replacing (assuming it is the CPU btw). If you've got a PLCC extractor I would try removing that chip on the right carefully and re-inserting it to see if it feels tight. The same thing happens with the Marpet upgrades - they have pins that are below the PCB which fit inbetween the PLCC socket edge and the edge of the chip - these are all fine and well if its a good fit all around, and provided the board is secured with light pressure from above. When i've done these before I always use foam padding of a certain thickness to sit on top of the PCB which is pressed down by the metal shielding above when its fitted afterwards - this holds it nice and firm in place.

Typically with time the pins can move, and then problems start, you may find there's nothing wrong with it other than the pins moved around at some point - have you tried carefully re-seating the interface? Without the interface I suspect the STe isn't going to work properly due to the socket damage but with the interface re-seated properly it may start working.

Edited by GadgetUK

The pins from the adapter are between the outer edge of the socket and the back of the socket pins, they are NOT between the socket and the chip. Trying to place it any other way will NOT work unless the adapter pins have been bent.

As for the IDE interface working on a STF, it will work BUT, you need a DIL to PLCC adapter, PLCC CPU, and you would need to add TOS 2.06. There was a STF version made and sold by Mario but once they were sold there was no more made.

AO

Edited by Atari_Only

The pins from the adapter are between the outer edge of the socket and the back of the socket pins, they are NOT between the socket and the chip. Trying to place it any other way will NOT work unless the adapter pins have been bent.

As for the IDE interface working on a STF, it will work BUT, you need a DIL to PLCC adapter, PLCC CPU, and you would need to add TOS 2.06. There was a STF version made and sold by Mario but once they were sold there was no more made.

AO

Regards the pin positions, you are right they go in the small gap between the socket plastic and socket pins, it does damage the socket though.