IGNORED

MyIDE II Not Compatible with the Atari 800?

Tempest

A few of us have discovered that the new MyIDE II cart does not seem to like the Incognito board.

EDIT: Looks like the problem may actually be with the Atari 800 itself and not Incognito.

When you try to use the MyIDE cart the menu goes nuts for a few seconds and then it crashes. We believe this is due to some conflicting memory addresses. This is from another thread:

I also have recognize these effects with Incognito and myIDE II (cursor went automatically down, display flickers, computer hangs).

But: I see this problem on myIDE II, not on Incognito. Incognito follow the logical scheme using $D5xx in a way that no collisions with SDX, OSS carts and many other occur. myIDE II uses very different hardware adresses, i.e. from $D500-$D50F. Don´t know, why myIDE II wasn´t developed regarding this wide spreaded facts.

Also I have problems using a KMK-IDE v2 attached and SDX on it enabled with myIDE II - crashes nearly every time. With SIDE 1 or SIDE 2... no problem, both can be used in parallel (for example: copy files from one CF card with APT to another).

In the actual state my myIDE II isn´t a very useful device WITH OTHERS together. Stand-alone it´s ok.

Is there any way to fix this without totally redesigning the MyIDE cart? Maybe a way to temporarily disable some feature on the Incognito board and remove the conflicting memory addresses when using MyIDE?

I should point out, before this goes further, that Incognito only enables RAM under the cart I/O space when the PBI ROM is switched in (or when the BIOS menu is visible). So - a conflict could only occur when both the following conditions are met:

• SIDE hardware is enabled
  • The PBI is in the middle of a hard disk transmission

i won't support myide ii, period

Ok, I understand. Hopefully we can find a way to get them working together with the current configuration. There probably aren't a lot of us that are going to be using both, but until all the cartridge images are made into .xex files, I need both.

sure, just saying where i stand

i don't know how software could behave so oddly to be frank

tf_hh put some time to investigate it, and he has some results to share if he likes, but i really don't know why this can't be fixed in software

seems atarimax/sijmen is ignoring everything that doesn't come from "right people" so i'll do the same

and i belive there is no incognito board counterpart anyone could use right now

• Like 4

The MyIDE II does not work with the Atari 800 hardware. IIRC I read somewhere on this or atarimaxi forum about the MyIDE ][ not being compatible with the atari 800 hardware, and it was not about memory size, but something different.

There have been released a few new firmware upgrades, that fixes timing issues, that Mr. Atari wasn't even aware of.

Tucker is the person who can fix this for you.

Perhaps that will fix this issue too. I still did not find time to install Incognito board. I soon will; then I can report it to you.

I am a bit afraid I will do something wrong on my so beloved atari 800... that's the other reason I still did not upgrade it with Incognito. But I really should give it a try soon.

I am a bit afraid I will do something wrong on my so beloved atari 800... that's the other reason I still did not upgrade it with Incognito. But I really should give it a try soon.

It´s really not too hard and you even don´t need to cut the plastics or something. 6 soldering points and on chip replaced, really easy. My A800 nearly is in daily use since the Incognito is installed. :)

• Like 1

Really? I didn't know that. That would really suck if true.

I will try to find that post where I read that. It had something to do with the myIDE ][ not accepting the 'signals' from the atari 800. I'm not an technical expert... so I probably say it wrong, but that was what the post was about. Perhaps was it a comment made by Mr. Atari, so I'm not sure how much that is worth.

Really? I didn't know that. That would really suck if true.

Really? Why? I mean: What need is there for a MyIDE II when you have the Incognito Board installed?

I like the MyIDE II because it is very handy for use with all my not modified XLs and XEs (there are quite a few here), but when there already is something like Incognito, why use MyIDE II?

@skr: I love my Atari 800PAL. I was wondering: the atari 800 has the 'same' heavy capacitor construction to create 5V DC like atari 1050 has. Does this have also the same 'aging' issues as the 1050 has, or is it -since the atari 800 uses less current than a 1050- not a problem for the next 10 years? Or do these capacitors also needed to be replaced? I do -just like you- want to use my Atari 800 on a daily base, for hours and hours... so... If i will get in trouble with that power board... I'd better fix it before I re-assemble the case. Needed or not? What's your (and other people) opinion about this?

Really? Why? I mean: What need is there for a MyIDE II when you have the Incognito Board installed?

I like the MyIDE II because it is very handy for use with all my not modified XLs and XEs (there are quite a few here), but when there already is something like Incognito, why use MyIDE II?

The MyIDE ][ has two features that are pretty unique. First: the ability of emulating ROMs. I know: most software originally in ROM is also available as .XEX... but some nice things like Mac/65 (I ported that to MyIDE II) can run from MyIDE ][ SRAM. Pretty cool.

Other nice feature is that SRAM thing. It's very easy and cool to use this on developing carts. For the rest it's pretty the same as MyIDE I, and then it simply can be replaced by Incognito features.

I want to use it for playing .bin or .rom files on my 800. There are many games (and tons of prototypes) that don't have .xex files.

The MyIDE ][ has two features that are pretty unique. First: the ability of emulating ROMs. I know: most software originally in ROM is also available as .XEX... but some nice things like Mac/65 (I ported that to MyIDE II) can run from MyIDE ][ SRAM. Pretty cool.

Ah ok, that is not that interesting for me. I have a MAC/65 cartridge (not original, but it works) here, and soon that one: http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/209842-oss-5in1-super-proper-cartridge/ :)

Other nice feature is that SRAM thing. It's very easy and cool to use this on developing carts. For the rest it's pretty the same as MyIDE I, and then it simply can be replaced by Incognito features.

Both features are not very important for me, but it´s good to know that they are there. Thanks for the information.

Checked it too with my PAL 800 and Incognito. The menu pops up, but it immediately starts flickering and beeping. I can´t choose anything. Doesn´t matter, if SIDE hardware is enabled or not and is the same in Colleen and XL/XE mode.